HELP! Car locking itself...any ideas?

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Dear Forum

Have looked around here and can't seem to find the answer to a really weird problem on my 06 FGT. I normally drive the car once every 2 weeks and drove it two days ago. I left the car in my hangar with the keys in it after driving it. This morning I tried to open the door and it was locked with the keys in it. I got the spare set and, although it opens the hood and the fuel door it WILL NOT open the side door lock! The remote results in no "flashing lights" or anything else. Totally dead. I put the battery on a charger (using the key to open the hood) and I still get nothing. Its like it is totally locked down.

Whats next? Break the window? Whats that going to cost me?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I recall the side door lock is very stiff to unlock with a key.
Try pushing on the door while turning key to relieve weather strip compression. Others pipe in.
Please. Don't break a window.
Andy

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Mark, once you add battery voltage the remote should open the car. were both remotes programed and working prior to this event ? If so I would disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes then re-connect and try again with the remote. Good luck.

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Mark, once you add battery voltage the remote should open the car. were both remotes programed and working prior to this event ? If so I would disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes then re-connect and try again with the remote. Good luck.

Yes both remotes were working. This happened about a month ago when I was at the car wash, the car "locked itself". I had to get a ride back home to get my spare key and it unlocked it electronically when I got back. This time,, no luck. Is there a battery in the key remote? How do I access it?

I will try "pushing" on the door while attempting to unlock it per the other post. Hopefully that will work. This is so weird.

BTW I just replaced the battery with another Optima Red Top just 3 months ago. (hmmmmmm).

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Maybe the remote on your primary key is shorting to lock mode. I would remove the battery from it once you are in the car and trade the remote with your other one monitoring if it happens again. If not I would replace the primary remote.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Your have to turn the KEY, COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.

Normal instinct is to turn clockwise;like starting a car or unlocking house door.

Its very stiff and key seems like its almost bending / twisting might break; but it wont and will open door.

ps, Leave the charger on for 48 hours; it should comeback. Mine did and battery lasted another 6yrs.

Last edited:

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Your have to turn the KEY, COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.

Normal instinct is to turn clockwise;like starting a car or unlocking house door.

Its very stiff and key seems like its almost bending / twisting might break; but it wont and will open door.

ps, Leave the charger on for 48 hours; it should comeback. Mine did and battery lasted another 6yrs.

Ok I’m going back to the airport to try this. I did turn it counter clockwise but perhaps not hard enough, thought I might break the key. Didn’t push on the door while doing it either. I’ll try and let you know.

Thanks!

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Well I got in thanks to you guys advice. Once I pushed in FIRMLY on the door and turned the key to where it felt like it was about to bend the door popped open. And yes, of course, the battery is fried for some reason (less than 4 months old!) Any recommendations on a better battery than this Optima POS?

Thanks again guys

Mark

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
My car done the same thing while it was running. Low batter was the issue, I had no spare at the time. Car ran for 8 hours until it ran out of gas. Had to get a lock smith to get inside and he made me a spare with key fobe.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Could be a few things; esp. when random things work/don’t work

-Key position could have ran down battery
-Key chip could have been transmitting
-Ground strap; tighten bolt
-old battery (on shelf or in car)
-bad battery tender

The OEM trickle charger brought my optima back from
same scenario.

A full-on battery charger should re-charge it; haven’t seen optimas die in 4mos...

The OEM trickle charger with 20ft cord / cig lighter with wire over rubber door seal is best deal. Keep it in socket in Wall and just plug and play.

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Could be a few things; esp. when random things work/don’t work

-Key position could have ran down battery
-Key chip could have been transmitting
-Ground strap; tighten bolt
-old battery (on shelf or in car)
-bad battery tender

The OEM trickle charger brought my optima back from
same scenario.

A full-on battery charger should re-charge it; haven’t seen optimas die in 4mos...

The OEM trickle charger with 20ft cord / cig lighter with wire over rubber door seal is best deal. Keep it in socket in Wall and just plug and play.

Charged it for 8 hours and it’s still so dead it won’t even turn on the dome light. Piece of shit Optima I’ll never buy another one!

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Charged it for 8 hours and it’s still so dead it won’t even turn on the dome light. Piece of shit Optima I’ll never buy another one!
yeah the Optimas are hit or miss on getting a good one.Quality control is not their strong point.I have one in the car now that i have had in their for 5 yrs and is still strong.Going to change it real soon but not sure to what.Let us know what u get.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Deeply discharged optimas don't respond well to classic lead-acid chargers. See here

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/charging/optima-battery-special-charger

google "charging optima battery" will give you lots more info.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
thanks for the update.... and glad you did not break the window.
andy (ajb)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When you get it all worked out, deactivate auto door lock. Read the owners manual.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Would have to get it tested to know for sure; AAA has those notebook testers with printout showing every cell.

12-24 hours min to charge

Optima link says most chargers won’t tigger given low 10.5v draw. Maybe Ctek or OEM at constant 0.5mil amps does it.

Mine died at 0.5 and 6.5 yrs and trickle chargers brought them back.

Search on “battery”; backin the day Die Hards was available. Think there is even an autozone Duralast that fits.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No other batteries fit correctly. The others were discontinued quite some time ago.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
No other batteries fit correctly. The others were discontinued quite some time ago.

Yeah I replaced my OEM Optima with a Sears Diehard about 7 years ago. I keep it on a full charger and it’s been ok. With Sears going out of business I guess you can’t get it anymore.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yes both remotes were working. This happened about a month ago when I was at the car wash, the car "locked itself". I had to get a ride back home to get my spare key and it unlocked it electronically when I got back. This time,, no luck. Is there a battery in the key remote? How do I access it?

I will try "pushing" on the door while attempting to unlock it per the other post. Hopefully that will work. This is so weird.

BTW I just replaced the battery with another Optima Red Top just 3 months ago. (hmmmmmm).

Yes the remote's take a battery. We normally see a 4-5 year life span. And low battery life will lead to some weird operation. In newer vehicles it can fail to detect key in certain locations of vehicle.

I had a good time with these remotes recently in my new expedition, wife drops me and the key off. Expy rotary shifter refuses to shift into drive. she says vehicle is broke. I jump in, it shifts to drive and tell her its fine. I jump out she cant get it to shift into drive. I come around again and it shifts perfect. Put her back in and it won't shift.

I finally had the aha moment and were able to clear out of the valet line were everyone was wondering wtf we were doing.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Well I got in thanks to you guys advice. Once I pushed in FIRMLY on the door and turned the key to where it felt like it was about to bend the door popped open. And yes, of course, the battery is fried for some reason (less than 4 months old!) Any recommendations on a better battery than this Optima POS?

Thanks again guys

Mark

if its less than a few months old should be under warranty just get it replaced worst case you might just be able to get your money back if you bough it on Amex.