Trailer Modifications For the New GT

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Are those ramps from Trailex? Where do they store?

Ed

Yes. They slide into a compartment under the trailer.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Nice work Chip. Did you do all the work yourself or take it somewhere?

I did the design work and the strap mod. My aircraft techs who are experts with aluminum and composites cut and welded the wheel wells as well as cutting out and fabricated the little side doors. Any good trailer or motor home shop should be able to do it though.

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Chio have you seen this? Check out the 1:40 mark, a way to hold in neutral. I have not tried it, as I driven in to my trailers so far.

https://vimeo.com/210285186

I tried to put my GT in neutral while running \

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chio have you seen this? Check out the 1:40 mark, a way to hold in neutral. I have not tried it, as I driven in to my trailers so far.

https://vimeo.com/210285186

I had not seen that. Thank you.

Chip

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian,

I tried to put my GT in neutral while running but the moment I open the door to get out the transmission automatically goes back into PARK. Does your GT stay in neutral when you open the door? Or do you reach through the window and shift it from park to neutral? If I tried to do that through the window I'd probably dork it and get it in to reverse or drive by mistake and watch as it lurched away from me! :willy I load my '06 by myself but I'm not comfortable loading my new GT without someone inside steering as the clearance in my trailer is just 1" on each side of my front wheels verses the 3" on each side you have.

I changed my wheels and tires from 14" to 15" and also use the best high speed rated Goodyear trailer tires. I use to have several blowouts on every trip but I've been clear across the country three times now at 80-85 mph most of the way with no tire problems. My 5.0 V-8 aluminum F-150 pulls that lightweight low drag trailer effortlessly.

Chip

Hi Chip,
When the car is running if you put it in neutral it'll flash" to stay in neutral press M to confirm..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-18-16-55-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-18-16-55-43.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_2018-10-18-16-57-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-18-16-57-01.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 129

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Hi Chip,
When the car is running if you put it in neutral it'll flash" to stay in neutral press M to confirm..

To quote Johnny Carson, “I DID NOT KNOW THAT.” Thanks for the tip.

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Very well done.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't you chumps put in frigs with tappers? At least Gary Ford sells tacos from his.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Can't you chumps put in frigs with tappers? At least Gary Ford sells tacos from his.

I'm being run out of business by DQ! :wink Taco Tuesdays - $1 all day max 50.

Susan refuses to buy our supplies in bulk from Sam's. Only Whole Food organic grown for her! :facepalm:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Brian,

I tried to put my GT in neutral while running but the moment I open the door to get out the transmission automatically goes back into PARK. Does your GT stay in neutral when you open the door? Or do you reach through the window and shift it from park to neutral? If I tried to do that through the window I'd probably dork it and get it in to reverse or drive by mistake and watch as it lurched away from me! :willy I load my '06 by myself but I'm not comfortable loading my new GT without someone inside steering as the clearance in my trailer is just 1" on each side of my front wheels verses the 3" on each side you have.

I changed my wheels and tires from 14" to 15" and also use the best high speed rated Goodyear trailer tires. I use to have several blowouts on every trip but I've been clear across the country three times now at 80-85 mph most of the way with no tire problems. My 5.0 V-8 aluminum F-150 pulls that lightweight low drag trailer effortlessly.

Chip
Chip I'm having a difficult time with my tailer builder on between the wheelwells dimension.

If you could tell me how much you have I then will know what the minimum is.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip I'm having a difficult time with my tailer builder on between the wheelwells dimension.

If you could tell me how much you have I then will know what the minimum is.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Actually no you won’t Tom. The rear track width of a new GT is 79”. My trailer only has 80” between the wheel wells. Read post #1 in this thread as most of the info you want is in there. BUT...if your new trailer has a side door to allow your opening the GT drivers door then the height of the wheel wells comes into play as the door opens up and out at about a 45 degree angle. So as the wheel wells get higher the space between them will need to be greater to get the GT door open. If you are having a trailer built make sure it has 84” between the wheel wells and you’ll probably be fine.

Chip

Last edited: