Battery for 2006 gt

Hgs911

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2012
Philadelphia Pa
I wanted To replace the battery with the OEM battery but can’t find one from Ford. Any ideas on where to find one or a recommendation for a suitable aftermarket battery

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I wanted To replace the battery with the OEM battery but can’t find one from Ford. Any ideas on where to find one or a recommendation for a suitable aftermarket battery

Ford should have them available . When you give them your VIN and they order one, a “Ford GT” Optima battery should arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
We ordered ours from the Local Ford Dealer. Now we just have to replace the gauges. Tack, Oil Pressure not working.
We checked the ground as everyone says check this first.

We ordered ours from the Local Ford Dealer. Now we just have to replace the gauges. Tack, Oil Pressure not working.
We checked the ground as everyone says check this first.

I was having gauge problems and when I replaced my old battery with a fresh one last year all my gauges have been working great. Definitely always use a battery tender while storing your GT.

Reactions: Special K

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you don't need a Ford label on the battery an Optima labeled will be the same.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I’ve purchased Optima batteries from Summit Racing. Same part as the OEM, just not labeled as a Ford battery. Cheaper too.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When you order the battery from Ford, it is the same Optima battery. They send a Ford GT sticker with it. You can peel the sticker off the old one and put it on the new one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kicking an old topic but no reason to start another.

Replaced the battery in the Ford GT. Consignment guy has been really good about keeping it on a tender and called today and said the tender had an alert state that it wasn't keeping up. Called Ford. No batteries. The manufacturer (Optima) is on backorder, could be months. Well, the Ford battery is just an Optima #25 so I called around town. All of the Optima places, Ford (if they had one) including Amazon, wanted the same price so I trundled over to O'Reilly's and picked one up.

I can't whine too badly. The battery lasted SEVEN! Yes, 7, years.

In retrospect I had a heads up that it was coming. When I took the car in for its annual emissions test, I noticed that the boost gauge wasn't working (a dreaded gauge failure?). After the test was done and I started it up again, the gauge was OK. So this was probably an early indicator that the battery was on its last leg.

I use the Cooltech battery tender config. That connects to the battery posts and leaves a tail under the hood area to make connection easy. So before pulling the battery I connected the Ford one to the power socket to (hopefully) keep all of the electronics powered. It worked! When I was done all of the emissions adaptives were still present so no drive cycle to reset for next year!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
As a reminder to others here on the forum, if you notice gauge not working but the battery tender still shows green status, don't assume gauge failure until you check battery. I had the boost gauge not working and ordered Autometer replacement gauge. Then read post above and realized may be battery and sure enough replaced battery and boost gauge was working. Have a spare boost gauge now.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
For those who do not care if their battery is not stickered with a FGT sticker, Braille battery makes an install-and-forget unit. The lithium battery does cost more but weighs SIGNIFANTLY less than a lead-acid or Optima cell-type battery. There are discussions on this Forum about this option. Give Gary a call and he can fill you in. 941-312-5047x401.
I have no financial interest in this company. Just have one of his batteries in my racecar and am very pleased with its performance.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I have a 06, do you have apart number/model?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I do not. But several GT owners here on the Forum have purchased these batteries which have the correct placement of the two poles for the cables. Gary knows which battery fits along with a plethora of other batter knowledge!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a 06, do you have apart number/model?

At the top of the window (at least on Windows) is a bar with a Search box. Try putting "braille battery" in it and you will be pointed to a number of topics, with this one being the most likely candidate

The cars and this forum have been around long enough that almost every question that can be asked, has been asked. Search can be your friend.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Thank you sir for the advice, I went right to gooooogale and I was not getting answers, I should have used the FGT forum search bar first!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Is the Optima Red Group size #25 top post battery the preferred replacement battery for the GT as per twobjshelbys?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
If you want the OEM type,get the Optima 25. You can peel off the Ford GT sticker and reapply to the new one.

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Pic of battery label

Attachments

• 197F696E-19D3-40A7-93B5-C3F4050A0DD7.jpeg
    197F696E-19D3-40A7-93B5-C3F4050A0DD7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
great info

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Are you guys sure it’s group 25 and not group 35? I picked up a group 25 but when I started the swap I discovered the existing one to be group 35.

Attachments

• 4A4C2227-7A3B-4488-95FA-B680DA721020.jpeg
    4A4C2227-7A3B-4488-95FA-B680DA721020.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 05752C89-0C53-4F1C-9121-472C70709DAA.jpeg
    05752C89-0C53-4F1C-9121-472C70709DAA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The original Ford battery is Group 25 and has a Ford label. If yours has an Optima labeled battery in it it was replaced with a Group 35.

The specs for them are the same except from the picture the terminals appear to be on opposite sides... Indeed, if you check these two pages the polarity swaps...

Last edited: