Street Tires for 2017/18 Ford GT

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
What are the best street tires to switch to for every day use on a 2018 Ford GT with the OEM Carbon Fiber wheels? Will the Dunlop SP Sport max Tires work on the CF wheels?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Yes, they work perfectly.

Attachments

• Tires on CF Wheels.jpg
    Tires on CF Wheels.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Awesome, Thanks!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Tire Rack says they don't make the front size in the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires

Is this the front tire you purchased

SP SPORT MAXX GT DSST - SIZE: 245/35R20

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Yes, this is the tire. The design of the tread, sidewall, lettering, and look are all the same as the rears only the fronts are run flats. I am very happy with the look and performance of these tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=SP+Sport+Maxx+GT+DSST&partnum=435YR0SMGTDSST

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181001-114125_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181001-114125_Samsung Internet.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.

Attachments

• 20180121_165450.jpg
    20180121_165450.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180121_173746.jpg
    20180121_173746.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 305
  • 20180121_170246.jpg
    20180121_170246.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 20180121_170203.jpg
    20180121_170203.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Yes, they will will work perfectly.

Did you guys go through a set of tires already?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I changed to Dunlop tires after only 100 miles. They went from the sound of a hail storm to quiet as my '05 GT.

I love the OEM Michelin's but they are for a different purpose.

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
:thumbsup

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I’m changing my tires out also as I have no plans of tracking my GT and will be driving on the street and won’t less noise and stickiness! When I say the OEM Michelins pick up everything I found a stick wedged up against my screen on the drivers side yesterday!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I will most likely do the same. I will be driving from Detroit to Atlanta next week for the race and then back again to Detroit.
I have no choice but to use the tires that are on the vehicle. I have 3100 miles now and will most likely have about 5000 when I return.

I do get concerned when I see even sharp , small stones fully embedded into the soft rubber tread. I pick the stones out but it leaves a lasting indentation and in most cases a small 'cut' in the rubber. I hope there is adequate tread rubber thickness to prevent an issue.

andy (ajb)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Tire Rack just called me after I placed the order and said there is an issue on trying to use these tires on the same car with fronts being a runflat and the backs not. Anyone with more knowledge on tires have a comment.

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/can-i-mix-run-flat-tires-with-standard-ones.html

https://tires.tirerack.com/m/tires/Mixing Run Flat Tires

I had that same conversation. In a conventional size tire (passenger vehicle) it would make a difference because the runflats are built with reinforced sidewalls and that makes different handling characteristics (sidewall flex). The sidewall on the GT's tire sizes are very narrow, these Dunlop regular and runflats are both very stiff and the difference between the two is not noticeable on the street. Do your research and see if they are right for your type of driving.

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Did you guys go through a set of tires already?

I replaced my Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (I started to just type Pilots, typed the P and came back a moment later filling in the other P-tire) tires with the same new ones at 18000 miles. They had a few more thousand but I had a screw in one rear. One track session on them.

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I replaced my Pirelli tires with the same new ones at 18000 miles. they had a few more thousand but I had a screw in one rear. one track session on them

didn't the GT come with Michelin? You have an incredible aount of miles already so I imagine you burned through those fairly quick. :wink

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Be really careful about who mounts them, you do not want any wheel damage obviously. They need the very best tire mounting equipment that is available and a very experienced person doing the work.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I also have changed my tires out. I was concerned getting on the highway and going through driving rains, which is very frequent in the South, with the Michelins's on. I was told to park it in the rain. So on with the new tires and drove from Louisiana to Florida in three separate rain showers with confidence the car won't depart the interstate. And the Moose's are correct, much less noise from road and rock noise. I will get an aftermarket set of wheels to mount the SC2's for track use.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
whoa... now you guys have me worried about driving to Atlanta..
How BAD are these tires in the RAIN ??
andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I also have changed my tires out. I was concerned getting on the highway and going through driving rains, which is very frequent in the South, with the Michelins's on. I was told to park it in the rain. So on with the new tires and drove from Louisiana to Florida in three separate rain showers with confidence the car won't depart the interstate. And the Moose's are correct, much less noise from road and rock noise. I will get an aftermarket set of wheels to mount the SC2's for track use.

I've been stuck in the rain dozens times these tires are great in the rain . they have full tread pattern, good depth and they're grippie. I would not be concerned about a rainstorm.. 5800+ miles on mine. . The older Pilot Sport cups were kind of shaved but these have really good depth to them I would not be concerned. With that said any Tire will hydroplane at speeds it's all affected by how they can channel out the water but these Channel fine.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
whoa... now you guys have me worried about driving to Atlanta..
How BAD are these tires in the RAIN ??
andy (ajb)

You're an engineer and I'm sure you can look at the tire and understand the basics. As long as you have a tread pattern and some depth to channel out the water they're not going to go skipping around like slicks... don't believe the hype!! :biggrin. The rubber is super sticky.. in South Florida we live with daily summer rains , been stuck in the rain many times even on the interstate. Never an issue or a moment of concern. .