Weird Car show behavior

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
OK, I gotta ask....What is the strangest behavior or questions you’ve received while showing your car. Here’s one. I displayed my 1966 GT40, 2005 GT and new 2018 Ford GT at a very high profile car show in Akron at the Goodyear founders estate, Stan Hewet Hall yesterday. We were getting ready to leave the show after five hours, and my wife Kim opened the dihedral passenger door to enter the car while saying goodbye to some friends. While she stood with her hand on the open door talking to others, ready to enter the car, an attendee, who was a young man about age 20 ducked under her arm and proceeded to take a seat in the passenger side of my new GT. Everyone witnessing this egregious act, all basically had the facial expression that clearly said, “WTF?” I yelled, “Get Out!, Out!, get out of my car!” He exited and said, “Sorry dude, since the door was open, I just zoned out.”

At another car show, I left my Rolls Royce to use the restroom. When I returned, I found a woman sitting in the driver’s seat, who, when confronted refused to exit my car. She said, “This is a car show, I may want to buy one of these some day, so I have a right to sit in it.” ....Again, “WTF?”

Any stories you have to share?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That will be hard to top

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
God, how do you carry on with such problems?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sorry Tim I just read this post after posting above. Now you see why I don’t leave my car at displays or shows. This happens all the time even with stancions and Police standing next to my GT. They even attempt to open the doors! Sorry you had to learn the hard way buddy. People just don’t care anymore! I’m sure this happens to everyone these days!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I have had similar experiences with my 1966 Cobra, it has a dead soft aluminum body and every so often some dolt knocks on it to see if it is a kit car. I usually place a big sign on it that says "Soft Aluminum Body Please Do Not Touch". I asked the last guy than knocked it with his knuckle what the hell he was thinking. His reply was that he was verifying that it was an original car. Most car show attendees are polite and know that you look but do not touch but about 5% of attendees think the price they paid for a ticket gives them dealer show room rights. Since my 2005 GT was tougher I did not have as much trouble as I have had with the Cobra. The only time I leave it is if a trusted friend is there to stop the damage before it happens. I run the car in the Goodguys autox events which means you are in a 2-3 day car show by virtue of being there. Most people at those events know to look but not touch. I have had more trouble at the local Porsche dealer events because the people are less car aware. I will be taking delivery of my 2018 GT in about 2-3 weeks and I am sure it will draw more attention than my Cobra but is also more able to withstand physical damage. It is really fun to share our cars with car lovers so I suppose it is a small inconvenience to deal with these people. My Dad taught me to look but do not touch other peoples property at a very young age, that appears to be out of style these days.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow - I haven't had any problems at car shows. I'm sorry that you had two bad experiences Tim.

Ed

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I have had several incidents (posted elsewhere) and am posting only to warn others:

-“Is that your car?? (Incredulous, smirk, sarcastic tone)
-“Can I sit in it?”
-“You got really lucky buying that!”

Other incidents:

-Touching / knocking on the grill
-holding iPhone over body; almost dropped
-neighbors party guest (female) sat on clamshell
-car-show attendee in OC followed me home
-Costco delivery truck parks next to me at angle
-two dozen lane cutoffs in 405/101

Some worse issues some of you know of....

Needless to say; I don’t attend C&C; not post location/pics anymore

Drove / stored / collected cars in NYC for 22yrs; ZERO issues, so not being sensitive / paranoid.

;

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I Drove / stored / collected cars in NYC for 22yrs; ZERO issues, so not being sensitive / paranoid.

Same here. Never a problem (yet). But showing again in about 2 weeks, so wish me luck!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I’ve probably had my GT’s in 50+ car shows with no barriers and swarms of people and had very few problems. I’m always with the car watching everything and 99.9% of the kids and older folks have been cool. Worst event for me was three 50+ year old women walked up to my new GT and jointly laid back against the side to take a photo. They all had metal ornamentation on their shirts and jackets so I barked at them to get off my car. But for the most part I’ve had good experiences. Over a hundred people have sat in the drivers seat of my new GT because I let them. I’ve let a few of them fire it up too.

Chip

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I’ve been taking cars to car shows for years. There are , from time to time, ill mannered people there who do stupid stuff. There are parents who use car shows as babysitters , dropping their kids off.

But, maybe I’m speaking too soon, I have not seen a lot of problems. I do see a lot of hard working adults and their kids whose only exposure to cars like ours are car shows. 99% are respectful. I Tell them sit in my cars; take family pics etc . It creates lots of smiles.

I always try to remember that to whom much is given, much is expected.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
AT a local show, I had my NSX, top off, windows down, doors unlocked, went for a walk to check out the other cars, only to return, and find a woman sitting in the driver's seat. Incredulous, I asked her what was she doing in my car, she replied that's what they're here for. I said, no they're here to look at, and just because the front door to her house, might be open, doesn't mean that anyone can just walk in.

At another show, I had the GT, was packing up to leave, left the driver's door open, went around to the passenger side, to put my "stuff" in, came back to the driver's side, to see a 30 something, sitting in the seat. I asked him WTF, he said, the door was open. At the same show, I had the windows half open, had walked around to see the other cars, and found a half empty soda bottle, sitting on the driver's seat. At least it was closed!!!! I always have signs on the car, that express the look, but don't touch sentiment, but it seems that they largely go ignored. I tend to only leave he car , for a brief amount of time, when someone is watching it for me, either to use the "facilities", or see the other cars. It seems that manners are no longer being taught, and are no longer, in style.

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I've got a really nice '67 fastback big block Mustang. We were sitting in our chairs next to the car watching the spectators walk by when this 20 something dude picked up his 18 month old to look at the engine compartment, and let him stand on the fender!!:facepalm: I went ballistic on him.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I had a guy do a flip over the front of my Ford GT. I didnt know that it happened until I saw this video on Facebook later that evening. Caffeine and Octane is the largest monthly car show in the US (even has its own TV show), but I no longer take the GT there because of this stunt.

https://www.facebook.com/fred.bloch1/videos/10210310565353242/

While I enjoy taking the GT out to shows and let people see the car, many of the car shows around here have gotten out of control and the crowd does not respect other's property. Many of the higher end shows like Caffeine and Exotics and Concours D'elegance are fine, but the mass market shows have people sitting in cars, leaning up against them for pictures, allowing toddlers to smear food on them (happened to my GT), etc. I would much rather do a Rides to Remember event for cancer patients or a 1/2 mile shootout or a mountain run. People at those events have much more respect for vehicles.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Tim
STILL WAITING FOR A PICTURE OF THE 66!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have had a kid open door and sit in the 05. I have become MUCH more selective as to the shows we go to. There is a HUGE "cruise in" at Gillette stadium every 2 weeks (sometimes 3500 cars). I have stopped going to this, too many ignorant people. My favorites are the Cars and Coffees, seems to draw more "car people", less rif raff looking at the cars as if its a showroom.

Earlier this spring went to small show, the 18 was dusty. Watched a woman swipe her finger to see if it was dusty. Sunday I watched a pocket book bounce off the rear fender, it was small and no exposed hardware. Both instances, I say to myself, BOY I AM GLAD FOR FULL XPEL.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim
STILL WAITING FOR A PICTURE OF THE 66!

Pics are posted now in the thread, "What have you done with your new Ford GT."

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
The truth is that you can no longer leave your property unattended by yourself or another responsible party.
Strollers, dog leashes, they just don't care!
Sad, but true.
Mark

Lady Moose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 28, 2016
While at a small all Ford show at a local Ford dealership with the Great White, I sat at a table with a couple of older men. We all had brought cars to the show and chatted amicably for some time. When it was time to leave, I saw one of these men at the front of the car (he knew John and I were both in the vicinity). By the time got next to him, I see the lip print on the front of the car smeared. I just blurted out "who would do such a thing"? He simply said, I was wondering if it was a sticker. I didn't know he did it. I scolded him - he's a car guy and he does that??? Not OK. Other than that silly incident, we've had good experiences, I'm happy to say.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
99.9% of the time things are cool with these cars and the public.
Occasionally weird stuff happens but it is not malicious IMHO.
Enjoy the car. Anyone who has one is a lucky SOB.
Share the joy of ownership. Play "polite defense" around the car if you have to.
2 anecdotes....
About a month into ownership I took my car to a small show at a new fire station. I was handing out small FGT toys (like Tomy and Chip do). A fireman pics up his kid to look at my engine bay. Kid drops the diecast toy I'd just given him on my wing. Full thickness chip through the clear bra film and paint. Didn't know what to say. The zen Buddhist in me fortunately took over. Had to realize that the dude occasionally runs into burning buildings for a living. Got the paint touched up and new clear bra applied. Go try to find the spot on my car without me pointing it out.

A few weeks later I take a 275 mile round trip to Frankie's farewell lunch. Something (a rock?) defies the laws of physics and takes a full thickness chunk out of my clear bra over my gloss carbon fiber door rocker panel. For now I touched it up with clear coat paint. Probably needs wet sanding and new PPF there. Totally fixable.

So...do I blame people, physics, or karma? You can keep your car sealed in a vault or drive it. Your choice.
I'm over 2000 miles driving a street legal purely derived race car!

Last edited:

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
I had a guy do a flip over the front of my Ford GT. I didnt know that it happened until I saw this video on Facebook later that evening. Caffeine and Octane is the largest monthly car show in the US (even has its own TV show), but I no longer take the GT there because of this stunt.

https://www.facebook.com/fred.bloch1...0310565353242/

Uh ...wow. Absolutely unbelievable. Could have been a real disaster.