Information on this picture GT40 + Bronco

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
43750611845_b9ddc43f65_b.jpg

I'm reposting this from another forum. It's difficult to find information on it.

It's speculated that it's the 66 winner with Chris Amon and Bruce Mclaren riding in the Bronco.

Anyone have any other info?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Feel compelled to say this:

If I dare 'hijack' for a moment, the photo scares me. It appears the trailer's tongue weight must be 'tail-wagging-the-dog' light due to the '40 having been loaded nose-first. One would think that factor in combo with the stubby wheelbased tow vehicle would create a disaster just waiting to happen at towing speeds above 3 m.p.h....so to speak. (I towed my DeLorean nose-first on a dual axle trailer behind my dump truck ONCE for a short distance. 'Not good.)

'Apologies for the sidetrack...:facepalm:

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
'Feel compelled to say this:

If I dare 'hijack' for a moment, the photo scares me. It appears the trailer's tongue weight must be 'tail-wagging-the-dog' light due to the '40 having been loaded nose-first. One would think that factor in combo with the stubby wheelbased tow vehicle would create a disaster just waiting to happen at towing speeds above 3 m.p.h....so to speak. (I towed my DeLorean nose-first on a dual axle trailer behind my dump truck ONCE for a short distance. 'Not good.)

'Apologies for the sidetrack...:facepalm:

Haha, no biggie. That's something I noticed too. One thing I didn't take into consideration that someone else pointed out is both guys in the back of the Bronco, they were probably trying to keep the ass end down.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...they were probably trying to keep the ass end down.

Yeah, that's what I figured as well...which reinforced my take on the situation.

The boys appeared to take risks both on and OFF the track back in those days!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Probably not wearing seatbelts either.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hell, We hauled all over the Country useing trailers like these in the 60’s and 70’s and never thought anything about it! In those days they were fine! Ha Ha PS These were Used for Factory Team Race Cars!

Attachments

• DD1A365F-F228-441F-AB12-3731A46B56B8.jpeg
    DD1A365F-F228-441F-AB12-3731A46B56B8.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 170

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hell, We hauled all over the Country useing trailers like these in the 60’s and 70’s and never thought anything about it! In those days they were fine!

To be sure...but, the cars aboard the trailers above were front-engine 'go fasts'. Tongue weights were copacetic! :wink

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The car in the back sure looks like it is pushing all the weight down on the front of the trailer and the back of the pickup...

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
With fuel, large tool boxes, extra tires, and jacks we were always way overloaded! I can remember highway speeds towing was usually 50 mph Max. And it took forever to get anywhere! Remember these pickup trucks were small V8’s and sometimes straight 6’s and were always three speed on columns and downshifting while towing up hills even on freeways and two lane roads! But we had fun when we got there! Cocktail parties on Friday and Saturday nights after qualifications and races then long drives home Sunday nights after the race! Wow, those were the days with very interesting race fan followers at every race! Enough said!!! PS : As my buddy Carroll use to say “ We use the young guys for bait”!

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
With fuel, large tool boxes, extra tires, and jacks we were always way overloaded! I can remember highway speeds towing was usually 50 mph Max. And it took forever to get anywhere! Remember these pickup trucks were small V8’s and sometimes straight 6’s and were always three speed on columns and downshifting while towing up hills even on freeways and two lane roads! But we had fun when we got there! Cocktail parties on Friday and Saturday nights after qualifications and races then long drives home Sunday nights after the race! Wow, those were the days with very interesting race fan followers at every race! Enough said!!! PS : As my buddy Carroll use to say “ We use the young guys for bait”!

Very cool commentary.
Thank you!

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
Hell, We hauled all over the Country useing trailers like these in the 60’s and 70’s and never thought anything about it! In those days they were fine! Ha Ha PS These were Used for Factory Team Race Cars!

Is that a personal photo of yours?

I'd love to see more if you have them.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thats the ticket right there. Id consider towing with our 6x Broncos if that was possible. Today you get killed if you tow at 50 max. Geez saw 80 last Sunday with a 44' trailer in tow.

Great pix in this thread, hope there are more.

I can remember highway speeds towing was usually 50 mph Max.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Probably not wearing seatbelts either.

And smoking cigarettes and sipping whiskey.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Not a lot of attention was put into trailers back then. Dad didn't even take the time to detail the Moon's. :lol

Attachments

• CCI05102016_00000.jpg
    CCI05102016_00000.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Not a lot of attention was put into trailers back then. Dad didn't even take the time to detail the Moon's. :lol

I like the way he tied the car to the trailer. :lol

Please tell us more about the picture.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

String was very strong back then. :wink

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Please tell us more about the picture.

Dad and my God Father purchased #P1060 from Ford Via Carroll Shelby back in '68, the pic was from that day. Notice the MKII brake ducts on the back? Those were added by Shelby and weren't functional. The purpose was to make it look like a MKII to the general public. The car was trailer around the country by Max Kelly and Ron Butler and shown at Ford dealerships after the '66 win. Max was the crew chief and Ron was a head mechanic on the #2 winner.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great story Steve. Shelby was the consummate salesman.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
great pictures in this thread!