Anal detailers —thoughts

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I’m halfway through having the GT filmed with x-Pel. I’m a big ceramic coating fan but everyone says putting ceramic on first makes it too slippery to apply the x Pel . But, is it really worth it to put ceramic over film?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I see no point in putting a coating on film. I never detail my ass either. Ha Ha.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
saw the title didnt want to click... I thought there was going to be a link to some beverly hills plastic surgeon...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
saw the title didnt want to click... I thought there was going to be a link to some beverly hills plastic surgeon...

Haha. Me too. Umm, no thanks.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Literally painstaking to get the hemorrhoids detailed.

Nano-ceramic coating is a hydrophobic/oleophobic top coating. In other words, shit don't stick. Putting ppf over it makes no sense. Some guys put it over the ppf.

I'd suggest you try the xpel for a while and see how you like it. If it's not dirt phobic enough, you can do the coating any time.

For those who are deciding what ppf to get, you might check out Stek Dynoshield. It has a nano-ceramic top coat built in. It's my ppf guy's current favorite. I have it on my Alfa. Great stuff. Easy wash with no rubbing.

You clearly won't feel the need to add additional shine to the ppf.

20180629_143029.jpg

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Last year I filmed my 05 and did NOT put ceramic coating on it thinking it was a waste of money. Last month I filmed my new raptor and splurged on ceramic coating. The difference in cleaning both is substantial. When I get my new GT I’m going to do everything to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I’m halfway through having the GT filmed with x-Pel. I’m a big ceramic coating fan but everyone says putting ceramic on first makes it too slippery to apply the x Pel . But, is it really worth it to put ceramic over film?

I have a Xpel account and have access to their tech department and asked them both those questions. They do not recommend installing the film over a surface that has been recently ceramic coated. The adhesives will not adhere properly and when and if the coating underneath breaks down the PPF will more than likely come up.
On top of PPF the film is a matter of choice . They said it won't hurt it but not required. There are so many different coating results many vary widely.

Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
My GT was ppf'd with 3M pro series. I have used XPel, opticoat and C quartz. I always coat the PPF once installed on the car. It's well worth it in my mind.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am currently having my NGT covered this week with Xpel. I have debated, researched and discussed this subject with numerous detailing and auto finishing experts. First, DON'T ceramic coat the car first prior to film installation. It is tough to bond the film to the paint, plus why add a protective coating to something that will have a thick protective film coating? You can, as FIKSE GT did put ceramic coating on top of the Xpel. However, as far as I am concerned many detailing experts have advised me against this as the thickness of the ceramic coating is such that it is a superb coating for your daily driver that is subject to rain, birds, multiple car washings, etc., etc. The detailers who know my exotic cars well have advised me not to waste my money on application over the Xpel. After much research, my plan is to use a product by GYEON - Gyon WetCoat from Autogeek. WetCoat is a highly hydrophobic (high water beading) product that is basically a spray/detailing mist. You spray it on and wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel. It repels all dirt, water, bird poop, etc. and can be re-applied after every wash (even though it lasts many washes). It is easy to use and you don't have to be like The Karate Kid (Wipe on Wipe off). Just spray the film for a nice shine and highly protective finish. Call me cheap, but I am trying this method first, as it works with my other cars very, very well.

Reactions: Roadtrip

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Be very careful on picking what ceramic product you use on your New GT. China products have flooded the market!! Ceramic Pro is a very good product we used after XPel on my GT one year ago last month. Within the last 60 days Ceramic Pro has introduced an even better product for use over wraps that my Tintworld, Webster, Texas is using and loves it. Wraps will not adhere to a ceramic coated car and the ceramic product has to be buffed off before wrapping the vehicle. My Man has experienced everything in his business having used vehicles brought to him for wrapping and not knowing they were ceramic coated by a used car dealer, be Aware!!!!

Attachments

• 10FF38DB-A419-4BC9-ADFF-0B1F82020C4B.jpg
    10FF38DB-A419-4BC9-ADFF-0B1F82020C4B.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 262

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have multiple vehicles (including NGT) with ceramic coating over the wrap and wouldn’t have it any other way. If your gonna drive it than it’s a great way to go. Makes cleaning a breeze as well as not needing to clean as often. My $.02

Reactions: roketman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I wanted ceramic coating over my clear bra and my installer told me not to even though he would make money doing it. I'm not an expert here so I can only relay his info. The best X-Pel and SunTek films are self healing (both of my GT's are covered with SunTek Ultra film) and he did a demo for me. He used a brass bristle tooth brush and scratched the hell out of his truck fender, not all the way through the film but it was awful. After 15 minutes in the sun it looked like nothing had ever touched it, that area was perfect again. Amazing demo. He told me that the car would be easier to wash if he ceramic coated it BUT the self healing properties of the film would be impaired. Similar damage over the same film that had been ceramic coated would heal somewhat but still be visible. My installer Matt has owned a film and tint business for 15 years and has a ton of experience here so I took his word for it. My un-coated clear bra is 10 months old now and still shines like glass.

Chip

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Well, isn’t any self healing done in the first 48 hours?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My GT was ppf'd with 3M pro series. I have used XPel, opticoat and C quartz. I always coat the PPF once installed on the car. It's well worth it in my mind.

++1

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have multiple vehicles (including NGT) with ceramic coating over the wrap and wouldn’t have it any other way. If your gonna drive it than it’s a great way to go. Makes cleaning a breeze as well as not needing to clean as often. My $.02

Yup me too!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Another method of “Self-Healing”,as both Chip and I will attest is two strong Manhattan’s.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gentlemen,

I wanted ceramic coating over my clear bra and my installer told me not to even though he would make money doing it. I'm not an expert here so I can only relay his info. The best X-Pel and SunTek films are self healing (both of my GT's are covered with SunTek Ultra film) and he did a demo for me. He used a brass bristle tooth brush and scratched the hell out of his truck fender, not all the way through the film but it was awful. After 15 minutes in the sun it looked like nothing had ever touched it, that area was perfect again. Amazing demo. He told me that the car would be easier to wash if he ceramic coated it BUT the self healing properties of the film would be impaired. Similar damage over the same film that had been ceramic coated would heal somewhat but still be visible. My installer Matt has owned a film and tint business for 15 years and has a ton of experience here so I took his word for it. My un-coated clear bra is 10 months old now and still shines like glass.

Chip

My installer used Suntek and gave me the same exact advice.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Is there a 'recommended' ceramic coat product......if you don't wrap?

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
Is there a 'recommended' ceramic coat product......if you don't wrap?

There are quite a few different ceramic coatings that work pretty well.

Are you doing it yourself? If it's professionally applied, they have access to harder/more robust coatings that are significantly more labor oriented.

From my point of view though, my cars that have been ceramic coated still got rock chips, although I believe less than I have on my un-coated car.

For something as expensive as a GT, it's probably worth it to have it wrapped.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Ok I started this nonsense , so I will provide the completely unscientific and unreliable conclusion I have reached. I WILL PLACE CERAMIC COATING OVER THE X-PEL .

This decision comes after posting on a variety of car sites; talking to a number of detailers; and asking my bartender. I would say 85-90% said do it.

I also looked at a large piece of wrap and just running my hand across it , it struck me as semi rough. Now I am sure I could spray it but it just seems to me as others have suggested that ceramic will do a better, long lasting job.

If this does not work I will revert back to a leather front bra which not only looks classy, but keeps the car cool as it retains water on the paint.