Petit Rally

Are there any contingency plans for this drive since it looks like there will most likely be a tropical storm passing over Georgia on Thursday?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Drink Beer always works:party

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Party at Gary's!++

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Beer garden in front of the hotel.:cheers

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I wonder how far a GT will plane on its belly pans at 100mph? Any takers?
In all seriousness, after being on the west side of a storm many times. We might not see any rain if the front is timed right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
So based on latest weather forecasts, maybe just a late start for drive now on Thursday? Fingers crossed!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I wonder how far a GT will plane on its belly pans at 100mph? Any takers?
In all seriousness, after being on the west side of a storm many times. We might not see any rain if the front is timed right.

I don't know about the 05/06, but interesting that Ford did this testing on the new GT, remember this video?

[video=youtube;oRsZxdNkdLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsZxdNkdLw[/video]

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
So based on latest weather forecasts, maybe just a late start for drive now on Thursday? Fingers crossed!

I thought very heavy rain forecast all day?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Well if weather does not cooperate and it rains all day, then we can do the drive in rental vehicles and still stop in at Robertson Racing garage.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
There will be a few of us with pickups too.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Sitting on the deck this morning I can here motors roaring around the track. Might have to zip over to see whats going on today.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Light rain in south Atlanta but in 90 miles south of track

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
In talking to folks at dinner last night, the thoughts were that we continue to monitor the weather conditions throughout the day and then make a call on the Petit Rally later today.

A few options under consideration are:

• Visit the Robertson Racing garage Thursday and then have the Rally drive on Friday after the FGT racers visit the hospitality tent (probably leave around 2:00-2:30). We'd have dinner at the restaurant at Lake Burton but likely be driving part way back in the dark.

• Proceed as planned with the drive at 9AM on Thursday

• Proceed with a less mountainous drive on Thursday but still hitting all the planned locations (Brasstown Bald, Lakes Burton and Rabun, and Tallulah Gorge)

My thoughts are leaning towards Friday when we can have some dry mountain roads.

If anyone has any strong opinions, feel free to voice them.

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
On and off light rain here around Road Atlanta.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Looks like storm is moving quickly, should stop raining between 9 and 10, maybe dry before 11am?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
OK, everyone. The opinion of a bunch of guys at the hotel bar is that we proceed with the drive tomorrow but push back the start until 10:00AM. We will meet in the valet lot at the hotel. 9000 Avalon Blvd.

After about 30 minutes, we'll stop briefly at the intersection of GA400 and Rt53 to rendez-vous with anyone coming from Road Atlanta, then continue on the drive.

The outbound Google maps route is at the following link. You should be able to load this into your phone and navigate along the way.
https://goo.gl/maps/WUrgGhxu5MQ2
We should be getting to Brasstown Bald (the highest point in Georgia) around noon. Lunch will be about an hour later at The Chophouse at Laprade's, which is 25 Shoreline Trail, Clarkesville GA 30523. So eat a big breakfast.
If the weather is bad and anyone is uncomfortable driving through the mountains, you can take a more direct route to Laprade's marina that bypasses some of the mountain roads. Just put the address into your navigation system.

The return route is more direct and divided highways for the most part.
https://goo.gl/maps/hn2kLiXDM8Q2
We will be stopping at Robertson Racing on the return trip. 904 Gainesville Hwy, Buford, GA 30518 Take a VERY shallow approach into parking lot!!! New GTs use front lift mode.

I will print out about 10 copies of the route directions in case anyone wants one.

Note that the state parks both have nominal admission fees.

Here's to a great drive tomorrow!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Here's to a great drive tomorrow!

To a great drive... Dilly, dilly!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Bummer My flight not in till 12:30

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
At the track weather. Down to strong thunderstorms for a few more hours. Should be a good day tomorrow afternoon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
CD5A8B0A-E013-4F02-B2B0-30B38DA87951.jpg