CP4 at auction with no reserve

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A Sarasota FL car for several years, CP4 will find a new home. I understand this was McGowan's favorite.

The article headline is misleading...there were several confirmation prototypes to test various systems, but there is only one "CP4," which had a very hard life testing chassis dynamics. Things like driving over spikes at high speed to see what happens when the tires blow out. Except the spikes were too tall and speared the car which then vaulted over the obstacle.

Never intended to be registered, somehow CP4 was made "legal" prior to coming to Florida and is titled and registered here, even though it lacks legal requirements such as airbags.

The current owner spent a lot on repairs to the damage that Mark inflicted, including frame repair and gas tank replacement. The work was done by our world class GT tech at Sarasota Ford.

CP4 also has a prototype carbon fiber clamshell.

We have seen this car regularly at car shows and C&Cs. The owner is going to miss driving it. He says it shoots awesome flames!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1118364_one-of-four-2004-ford-gt-cp4-prototypes-can-be-yours

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It’s a cool car to see, with all of the pre-production features. It will be interesting to see what it brings.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ironic, didnt the Auburn museum deaccession CP-4 and sell it at this auction initially?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ironic, didnt the Auburn museum deaccession CP-4 and sell it at this auction initially?
I don't know, but it was first titled and registered in Indiana before coming to Florida.

shelblyluva

Nov 21, 2016
What happened with CP-4 at Auburn? I don't see it in the results so I'm assuming that it didn't sell, but what was the high bid? Interesting car.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It was no reserve, but results are not published yet on the Worldwide Auctioneers site.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I remember when they sold that car at auction in Vegas! wonder if altering it detracts from its real value of being regarded as having a part in the historic evolution of the 05/06 GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't see the real value of a test mule that escaped the crusher. It's a running car, so to me it might be worth salvage title/arrested state of decay money, plus a few bucks for the stories if anyone cares about that. Not sure how it could be titled and registered in any state that cares about safety and/or emissions. Florida doesn't care about anything. If the car has a VIN, you're good here.

Dubious value as a museum piece. I can't imagine any investment value, but crazier things have appreciated given enough time.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Actually CP-4 was not sold at Vegas at the rally. CP-1 was, as well as PB-x the yellow car that was at Nardo (side note, the silver Nardo car currently sits at the Piquette Model T museum in Detroit). CP-4 was given by Ford to the Auburn museum, who them sold it to raise funds in 2012. It sold then for 217,250 (with fees).

"Proceeds from the sale of three vehicles netted $345,000 for the National Auto and Truck Museum, enabling the designated National Historic Landmark to retire its mortgage, with significant change to spare. These included the storied 2004 Ford GT Factory Test Mule, a prototype that found a new home in a private Florida museum for $217,250 and a 1918 American LaFrance Type 40 Fire truck, which brought $145,200 for the museum."

https://www.sportscardigest.com/worldwide-auctioneers-auburn-2012-auction-results/

I heard that is sold this time for $467,500 with fees.

I remember when they sold that car at auction in Vegas! wonder if altering it detracts from its real value of being regarded as having a part in the historic evolution of the 05/06 GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

If this is true, it's more evidence (as if any was needed) that I know nothing. Stupid money out there. New GT money for a rolling wreck.

I guess no goofier than Andy House advertising Camilo's GT as "certified wrecked by the designer."

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Actually CP-4 was not sold at Vegas at the rally. CP-1 was, as well as PB-x the yellow car that was at Nardo (side note, the silver Nardo car currently sits at the Piquette Model T museum in Detroit). CP-4 was given by Ford to the Auburn museum, who them sold it to raise funds in 2012. It sold then for 217,250 (with fees).

"Proceeds from the sale of three vehicles netted $345,000 for the National Auto and Truck Museum, enabling the designated National Historic Landmark to retire its mortgage, with significant change to spare. These included the storied 2004 Ford GT Factory Test Mule, a prototype that found a new home in a private Florida museum for $217,250 and a 1918 American LaFrance Type 40 Fire truck, which brought $145,200 for the museum."

https://www.sportscardigest.com/worldwide-auctioneers-auburn-2012-auction-results/

I stand corrected and I agree that there is stupid money out there

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I know of someone who donated their ancestor's Civil War uniform & other items to a museum. The museum turned around & sold all of it to a private collector. I'm sure there could be a contract to insure donations to museums aren't sold off but displayed for the public to enjoy.

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Deaccessioning is a very hot / tricky topic for a museum to manage

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yep, $467,500. And $236,500 for a Mini once owned by Paul McCartney.

Drunk Hoosiers!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
"Deaccessioning." Talk about obfuscation... :facepalm: