TRIPPLE FUEL PUMP PICK UP

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ahhh, yeah. That’s exactly what I was thinking.

:willy :willy :willy

Chip

Once again the Professor succeeded at thought transfer mind reading,

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Again BMF that sounds about right too.

E85 (85% ethanol + 15% gasoline) is better than straight methanol or ethanol but not a whole lot better. The energy content of this fuel can also be easily calculated by looking at the fractions, thus-

((85/100)*(12,780)) + ((15/100)*(19,065)) = 13,723 BTU/lb

E85 is about +7.4% better energy density relative to straight ethanol but -28% lower energy density relative to straight gasoline.

Thus as BMF indicates above to develop the same horsepower with the E85 fuel, you need to supply +28% (about 30%) more fuel to the engine. This is why laypeople are always perplexed that their FlexFuel vehicle gas mileage "tanks" when they fill up with E85. The engine needs 30% more fuel to support the driver's gasoline performance levels.

Thanks Chip, it’s all in the math…….:biggrin

Correct on the mileage. But if e85 is tuned properly per vehicle, it only cost .01$ per mile cost more than gas if the price of e85 is x % of dollars less than gasoline. You can run e85 at a much leaner Stoich than gasoline at cruising speeds due to its abilities to not detonate. There for you can make up for the extra use of the fuel by leaning it out.

Not that anyone in the car world cares because we use e85 for its ability to make huge Hp cheaper than race gas and its easy availability at local gas pumps.

Thanks for all the math!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thankfully a gt on ethanol E85 (NOT alcohol/Methanol) 30% more fuel is required over gas and WOT time 22-25 second for lets say a mile run. With 680lph pumps in the oem tank free flowing into that 3 gallon surge tank one should still have more than enough fuel to complete a mile run and I don't think anyone here would be looking to do anything over that.

almost anyone....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Correct on the mileage. But if e85 is tuned properly per vehicle, it only cost .01$ per mile cost more than gas if the price of e85 is x % of dollars less than gasoline. You can run e85 at a much leaner Stoich than gasoline at cruising speeds due to its abilities to not detonate. There for you can make up for the extra use of the fuel by leaning it out.

Not that anyone in the car world cares because we use e85 for its ability to make huge Hp cheaper than race gas and its easy availability at local gas pumps.

Thanks for all the math!

How do you tune to account for unknown E85 blends? E85 can vary from 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on season and region.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
How do you tune to account for unknown E85 blends? E85 can vary from 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on season and region.

Gentlemen,

I’m a fairly large E-85 dealer in Phoenix and the blends shipped to us range from 51% to a high of 73% depending on the time of year. The 85% blend we use to get isn’t available at all now. The hot rodders who tuned their cars for E-85 are frustrated because we don’t even know the percentage from load to load.

Chip

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

The most important thing is to tune the first tune on e85. Then when the blend goes down to e70 or even lower the car goes a little rich but it doesn't effect the hp that much. The problem is when you tune for e85 and the fuel is actually e50 or e70. Then the car becomes very lean and depending on power levels could burn up a piston.

Next I've been doing e85 in my cars since 2005. e50 will easily support 900whp. I personally on my GT have made 1370whp with winter blend e72 and e85 will support about 1700whp, on my GT i have made 1450. So just because we are seeing lower ethanol contents doesn't mean the fuel can't support some really good power. Its having the knowledge of the fuel and what its capable of.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Next I've been doing e85 in my cars since 2005. e50 will easily support 900whp. I personally on my GT have made 1370whp with winter blend e72 and e85 will support about 1700whp, on my GT i have made 1450. So just because we are seeing lower ethanol contents doesn't mean the fuel can't support some really good power. Its having the knowledge of the fuel and what its capable of.

I struggle a bit with the statements like, “e50 will easily support 900whp” and “e85 will support about 1700whp”. An engine can be designed to run on any number of fuels- gasoline, gasoline alcohol mix, alcohol, turpentine, kerosene, whiskey, etc. All the Indy cars run on straight methanol for safety reasons and those 2.2L V-6 engines make sufficient power with a very low energy density fuel to push those race cars easily over 200 MPH. The only thing the fuel supplies to the engine is chemical energy. The engine converts this chemical energy into mechanical work. Some fuels may provide more efficiency in the chemical-to-work process; some may produce fewer hydrocarbons or NOx byproducts, some lower combustion temperatures, some higher temperatures. Each fuel has its own niche. Designed correctly and fed with enough fuel (any fuel) an engine can produce a spectrum of different powers. The “fuel” does not determine the engine power output if the engine is provided with sufficient fuel quantities to allow the engine to achieve its internal mechanical design goals.

I stand corrected. The Indy Cars run 85% ethanol and 15% racing fuel. They make 575-675 hp depending on turbo boost. https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a7477/inside-indycar-engines-2014/

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I struggle a bit with the statements like, “e50 will easily support 900whp” and “e85 will support about 1700whp”. An engine can be designed to run on any number of fuels- gasoline, gasoline alcohol mix, alcohol, turpentine, kerosene, whiskey, etc. All the Indy cars run on straight methanol for safety reasons and those 2.2L V-6 engines make sufficient power with a very low energy density fuel to push those race cars easily over 200 MPH. The only thing the fuel supplies to the engine is chemical energy. The engine converts this chemical energy into mechanical work. Some fuels may provide more efficiency in the chemical-to-work process; some may produce fewer hydrocarbons or NOx byproducts, some lower combustion temperatures, some higher temperatures. Each fuel has its own niche. Designed correctly and fed with enough fuel (any fuel) an engine can produce a spectrum of different powers. The “fuel” does not determine the engine power output if the engine is provided with sufficient fuel quantities to allow the engine to achieve its internal mechanical design goals.

I stand corrected. The Indy Cars run 85% ethanol and 15% racing fuel. They make 575-675 hp depending on turbo boost. https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a7477/inside-indycar-engines-2014/

I know you're a very smart person, much smarter than I and more technical so i'm not looking to argue. But E85 will support 2000fwhp NO problem, many many street cars out there making 1500whp with it.. It is a gas pump rated 105 octane fuel and then if you add in the cooling effect it has on the air going into the engine in the intake port as it mixes (Not quite as much as methonal) then e85 is capable and has been tested to make the same amount of power a c16 race fuel while making more tq than its all gas counter part. John Mihovetz from accufab has dyno'd the fuel on mod motors and seen just that.

The reason I stated the HP each of the fuel is good to is based off years of experience running it. My Ford GT actually makes 1450whp on e85, 38lbs of boost. Twin 160lb injectors at 60% duty cycle, belt driven off the modified factory oil pump a 10gph fuel pump. Also typically when e85 is cut from 100% ethanol is it not cut with race gas. As race gas is a slow burning fuel and adding that to an already slow burning (alcohol based) fuel is counterproductive. The main reason it's e85% is for it being able to start in a daily driven production based vehicle and when the blenders cut down the e100 to make e85 its cut with poor quality 87 or similar fuels. It becomes e70 in the winter here in Minnesota for winter starting.

So as you take away the ethanol content it's pretty obvious that the Hp numbers its capable of goes down with the percentage of ethanol going away.. Btw one reason Indy cars probably cut it with race gas is because the heat associated with high boost will cause the 15% portion of the gas to lite off before it hits the combustion chamber. The race gas would stop that from happening.