Pictures from 1966 Ford GT40 Assembly Operations or Pics of Original GT40 Street Car?

FrankTheTank

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2016
Austin, Texas
We need your help please. My good friend Jeff Snyder owner of Jeff's Resurrections in Taylor, Texas is restoring a 1966 GT40 and needs access to either original Ford assembly pictures or pictures of a known original surviving GT40 street car to help in the restoration process.

Chassis 1062 started its life as a Ford Corporate Marketing Car for the first few years before a famous race driver bought it and turned it into a race car. When converted to racing a number of brackets and components were removed and/or modified in the process. Jeff needs some original Ford assembly pictures or access to a known original survivor 1966 GT40 street car to take pictures to help in properly restoring the car. He is nearing the final stages just prior to paint, but needs some details on a few brackets/etc. We are also hoping to find the original paint formulation (it was painted a Metalichrome Toledo Blue when it left the factory).

Does anybody have access to any Ford Archives with pictures on know of an original survivor GT40 street car that we could photograph?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards, Frank The Tank

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I remember seeing schematics from JW Automotive on Ebay at some point in time. I dont know if those can be found easily.
The GT40 site seems to be down currently
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...jw-automotive-gt40-illustrated-pars-list.html

You didnt mention which generation, assume Mark II. Holman-Moody in Charlotte still have many of the original tubs and parts. They may be able to help.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sent you PM for a contact #. I know a collector fairly close to Austin who owns two original Ford GT 40’s, one a former race car and one a street car.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Jim Dunham has restored one for ford when he worked there. he probably can help. Hes on here to but brain fart on his screen name

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Frank, my father and uncle purchased #1060 new from Ford through Shelby in '68. As I understand it would have been a sister car to #1062 as Ford fitted 4 or 5 of these (called at the time "press cars") all the same and sent them on a PR dealership tour right after the win in '66. These cars were all MK I's fitted with wire wheels but all had MK II non functional brake cooling intakes attached to the rear bonnets. This was done to make the cars look similar to the winning MK II's. I have a few pics of exactly how #1060 was delivered if this would help with the restoration. Unfortunately can't help out with any internal info.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
According to Ronnie Spain, 1062 was a Mk I street car/289 w Webers, that was fitted with Mk II tail sections. It was also owned at one time by Harley Cluxton who may have records of the car. Also, Gelscoe in the UK (who are contracted by Cluxton to build GT40 Mirage replicas) build phenomenal GT40s (http://gelscoemotorsport.com) and they may have some insight on the differences of MK I street and race cars. Racing Icons (https://www.racingicons.com/gt/) has probably restored more GT40s than anyone, so you might reach out to them as well. BTW, in Spain’s book 1061 is shown with Mk II scoops, but 1062 is shown with a standard clamshell.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Not sure about 1062, but 1060 had a MK I tail like all other MK I's but had nonfunctional MK II brake intakes added. I believe all the "road cars" also had cigarette lighters added.

FrankTheTank

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2016
Austin, Texas
Frank, my father and uncle purchased #1060 new from Ford through Shelby in '68. As I understand it would have been a sister car to #1062 as Ford fitted 4 or 5 of these (called at the time "press cars") all the same and sent them on a PR dealership tour right after the win in '66. These cars were all MK I's fitted with wire wheels but all had MK II non functional brake cooling intakes attached to the rear bonnets. This was done to make the cars look similar to the winning MK II's. I have a few pics of exactly how #1060 was delivered if this would help with the restoration. Unfortunately can't help out with any internal info.

That would be outstanding! Exterior pictures would help. And yes, it was a Mk 1.

My email is sfhorton5@yahoo.com or pm medirmy number!

Thanks, Frank

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Pictures sent.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Check with Eirc Holhman of Holhman and Moody in Charlotte as they have all the parts to completely build cars and some of the staff that worked on the originals.