Road & Track - Larry Holt Profile

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Great profile on Larry Holt in this month's R&T entitled "Mad Genius". Two PDFs, since I had to include the handsome portrait of Larry which scanned in a different file.

Enjoy!

Kenneth

Attachments

• Larry Holt.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Mad Genius.pdf
    543.2 KB · Views: 262

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
That was a great read, thanks for posting.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
He is a one of a kind... Love it!

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
That was a great read, thanks for posting.

My pleasure! It was fun to learn more about Larry and Multimatic (Raj's new employer). A talented bunch, to be sure!

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
What an exciting time in the automotive world. Great article on a one of a kind er!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great write up - Larry is definitely the right person for the job!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Larry Holt. !! Gotta love that guy! One of the must have signatures for my GT...

Attachments

• 20180127_211353.jpg
    20180127_211353.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Wonderful article thank you for posting. I have read previous articles about Larry Holt he really is a engineering genius. It's fantastic that they had so much to do with the new Ford GT!!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
bd2665d10dfb327957c69afea6258440.jpg

Larry Holt and unnamed Multimatic employee at Le Mans 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
He looks very familiar

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Larry will tell you the unfiltered straight dope.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
bd2665d10dfb327957c69afea6258440.jpg

Larry Holt and unnamed Multimatic employee at Le Mans 2018

Interesting photo. Wonder what was being conveyed/discussed. Body language and facial expressions would seem to indicate it wasn’t a positive exchange.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting photo. Wonder what was being conveyed/discussed. Body language and facial expressions would seem to indicate it wasn’t a positive exchange.

We went into the Ford pits at Le Mans post race. Ran into Raj and Larry. Tony Kanaan was there also. We were talking about the race including the bad luck with the safety car creating a gap to the leading Porsche. Also talked about BoP, etc. They were kind enough to chat with us for quite some time.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Road & Track - Larry Holt Profile

We went into the Ford pits at Le Mans post race. Ran into Raj and Larry. Tony Kanaan was there also. We were talking about the race including the bad luck with the safety car creating a gap to the leading Porsche. Also talked about BoP, etc. They were kind enough to chat with us for quite some time.

That’s Ajai’s hand in the picture, he was just talking their ears off - nothing negative . If we turned this into a funny “insert your caption here” thread I think the cloud over their heads would read “Security!!! How did this guy get in here?” I agree with Ajai “They were kind enough to chat with us for quite some time” especially after a loong 24 hour race.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Cool article!

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Nicely written! Thanks for sharing!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Finally got a chance to read the article. Great insight into the history of Multimatic.

I guess I never really thought about it much, but you have CGR campaigning the US cars and Multimatic campaigning the UK cars. I wonder if there are any substantial differences between them, other than required by the associated rule sets. Were the CGR cars built by Multimatic? Or did CGR put some of their technology into them?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Quite a read. As interesting as it is, any article is a distant second to actually spending some time with Larry. By sheer coincidence, my first meeting with Larry happened the night of the media introduction of the Ford GT at the 2015 NAIAS in Detroit. A rather passionate, animated 2 hour dissertation from him on the unique competitive advantages of the GT. And I walked away saying to myself this guy is either a mad scientist, nuts or a genius.

History has a way of deciding that sort of thing. A couple of years later, I had to laugh to myself while sitting at a table in France - with a 24hr LeMans trophy as the table centerpiece - thinking about that ‘crazy’ guy back in 2015.

I look forward to seeing his GT production operations next Friday. Sign me; anxiously awaiting the next chapter in this book. :thumbsup