NGT Oil Change

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Couple notes for those that are going to do it them selves. EDIT Brain cramp, per Stormcats response below, Remove the mid pan, with 36 different length T30 bolts. This pan can be removed by itself, with out taking off the rear diffuser.

Make sure you have a 76mm 14 flute wrench for the filter. The picture below paints the picture there is some space. There is NO ROOM to even think about a traditional band style filter wrench (not even one with the 90 deg flexible handle).

Then the biggie. There are what seem like 3 drain plugs. One SHOULD NOT be removed. It is marked with the X. This is the oil cooler circuit, and the system will have to be bled if this one is removed.

Be sitting down when you buy the oil and filter. They are expensive.

Torque spec on the drain plugs is 18 Lb Ft. Oil capacity is ~13-14 quarts (13 litres). Procedure outlines you are supposed to run engine to 190 deg, shut down and let sit for 2-3 minutes. The oil tank cap / dip stick is a billet aluminum piece of art.

Attachments

• Plugs.jpg
    Plugs.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great info Andy. Please keep it coming. Where did those illustrations come from?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Couple notes for those that are going to do it them selves. Diffuser is not as easy as the 05-06. There are plastic push clips that attach the inner fenders to the diffuser (5 per side), You also have to disconnect the camera and back up lights, you get access by removing license plate. There are also 2 7mm bolts in this same area. Lastly 36 T30 torx of 2 different lengths.

Make sure you have a 76mm 14 flute wrench for the filter. The picture below paints the picture there is some space. There is NO ROOM to even think about a traditional band style filter wrench (not even one with the 90 deg flexible handle).

Then the biggie. There are what seem like 3 drain plugs. One SHOULD NOT be removed. It is marked with the X. This is the oil cooler circuit, and the system will have to be bled if this one is removed.

Be sitting down when you buy the oil and filter. They are expensive.

Torque spec on the drain plugs is 18 Lb Ft. Oil capacity is ~13-14 quarts (13 litres). Procedure outlines you are supposed to run engine to 190 deg, shut down and let sit for 2-3 minutes. The oil tank cap / dip stick is a billet aluminum piece of art.

Ummm.. the rear diffuser pan does not need to come off for an oil change.. only the smaller pan (36 bolts ) directly under the engine block needs to comes off. I've done two oil changes on the new car and have had the little pan off about 4 or five times for various reasons,,

I can do the new GT faster than the 06 . The two drain plugs are right there a spin on filter.. easy to refill and no priming required. I just did a friends 06 and my new GT at 3600 miles with in a week or so of each other and the new GT is way easier.. Sorry.. :biggrin

Now as far as the rear diffuser goes that is a PIA because of the push pins but there are some tricks. I've had that off 4 or 5 times as well.. but it does not need to come off for an oil change.. :biggrin

Don't take my word for it, Re-read the oil change procedure I know you have a copy.. love ya buddy !!.. :biggrin

Attachments

• 2018-07-09 13.37.33.jpg
    2018-07-09 13.37.33.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Brian you are 1000% correct. I edited my post above. Only the mid pan needs to come off. Yes rear diffuser is a pain, Ive now had it off twice. I took mine off at the same time, as I was looking for something else, hence my momentary idiocy. Wow you took off the main floor? Was strongly suggested to me, not to take that off as it is so thin, and easily cracked. Nice work.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian you are 1000% correct. I edited my post above. Only the mid pan needs to come off. Yes rear diffuser is a pain, Ive now had it off twice. I took mine off at the same time, as I was looking for something else, hence my momentary idiocy. Wow you took off the main floor? Was strongly suggested to me, not to take that off as it is so thin, and easily cracked. Nice work.

That's a picture I lifted from the GT guys. I have not removed my main pan. I saved the picture for future illustration of the under tray pans..

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Don't all the lower panels need to be removed for clear film install? I believe that's what the photo was from.

Ed

PS I'm flying Stormcat out to NorCal to do my oil change when I get the new GT!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Don't all the lower panels need to be removed for clear film install? I believe that's what the photo was from.

Ed

:) .. I decided not to clear film all of my under tray panels. That picture is when The Gt guys did someone's car ..

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
:) .. I decided not to clear film all of my under tray panels. That picture is when The Gt guys did someone's car ..

Why did you decide not to do under car panels?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I just did the full topside of my car with X-pel . (Except for the area in the center of the rear fascia - minimal chance for stones and possible melting around exhausts .
I did not do any of the underside panels either. Two basic reasons :

1. I never see it anyway except if on a lift. ..so far after 1700 miles it looks 'unscathed'.
2. eventually I run out of money.

andy (ajb)

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was just told by a Wrap company that the center panel is very thin and could possible be damaged if removed. It took two people to handle it when wrapping and scared them because of its thickness. I only wrapped my front panel as that’s the only one you see.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It was STRONGLY recommended to leave this panel in place. It is very thin. You can feel how thin it is just on the edges. If I ever have to take it off, Ill build a support jig on a transmission jack (or something like that). Hopefully I wont ever need to

the center panel is very thin and could possible be damaged if removed.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
The Ford GT guys do like to eat...So saying the mid section is very thin might be a misnomer ;)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Why did you decide not to do under car panels?

I did an extensive survey of my 2006 car. Really comparing and visualizing what were Rock prone damage areas. The reality is rocks are not going to get too far back on the new GT.. For me I didn't feel it was necessary.

Everyone has a different Comfort level on protection and I'm not saying not to do it.. I just didn't feel it was necessary.
The biggest areas for concerns on the new GTs are the rock thrown paths from the tires. Super sticky tires throw rocks with authority!

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

Ed

Fortunately for me, my NGT May be in South Florida long enough to visit Stormcat for technical assistance.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Thank you STORMCAT,

I agree with your decision ,I am not as particular about the bottom panels as some might be. I can certainly see why it is needed on the painted surfaces as well as the screens. I assume you don't run screens on the track, have you experienced any damage?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cobra498;473627....I assume you don't run screens on the track said:
There is still sufficient air flow so I would run them on the track.

Ed

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea of how much all of the underside panels costs from Ford to replace?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I heard but can’t verify $8,000, if anyone knows exact please post! My wrap people tell me from their experience with 4 New GT wraps that they have done that some of the under panels are not as smooth finished as the front two panels and are very difficult to cover with XPel or Suntech. To cover all panels is very time consuming and a lot of product waste therefore very expensive to do and no profit is made by covering them. Way to expensive to do and chances of damage are very minimal. The only front two on mine are covered.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
$8k, if true, is a bargain for all those panels.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sorry only the large center panel was quoted at $8,000 not all panels!