windshield a little opaque?

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Driving to work this morning in early sun I noticed the windshield seemed a little foggy when the sun hit it a certain way. Almost like a car owned by a smoker. I know the inside and outside are clean. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Every car I've ever owned has exhibited some amount of plasticizer outgassing. Try cleaning the inside of the windshield

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sit in the car on a sunny day with the windows up. Just breathe.

It's like a nano-ceramic coating for your lungs.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Between the anti-rattle spring thread and this, it is Comedy central here today.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Between the anti-rattle spring thread and this, it is Comedy central here today.

Hahahahaha. Bingo!

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Actually I was quite serious, I have carefully cleaned inside and out and there is a slight cloudiness to it that is very uniform and does not come out.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Actually I was quite serious, I have carefully cleaned inside and out and there is a slight cloudiness to it that is very uniform and does not come out.

I’m going to take a guess and assume something over time has happened to your laminate between the layers of glass and you are seeing some kind of discoloration/distortion. I think your only two options are live with it or replace the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I had a this situation in my red car that sits a lot. It took some glass cleaner , a microfiber towel and some serious elbow grease to get it off the inside. apply firm pressure in a small 1" diameter circle to see if you can get thru to the bare glass. Doubt your inner sandwiched liner is clouded. Unless you have a exterior clearplex film that's clouded I'd say go scrub some more :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not all glass cleaners are equal. Check into Stoner Automotive products, especially their glass specific paper towels that leave no streaks.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Thanks for the input guys, guess I will try some more scrubbing as a first step.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Derry, how are your nuts?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Derry, how are your nuts?

I was wondering how long it would take before you would chime in!..:bored

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Driving to work this morning in early sun I noticed the windshield seemed a little foggy when the sun hit it a certain way. Almost like a car owned by a smoker. I know the inside and outside are clean. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Hi Derry, awesome to hear from you. Question how many miles on her? If I remember we have sister cars and yes I still have my awesome engraved lug nuts. Sometimes it is the dirt, road sand blasting, acid rain, any or all of it. Overall I know a glass polisher helps a bunch. Im in the market for a new one also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Have about 9000 miles on it now. I will try some polish, Thanks! Good hearing from you as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Maybe a long shot, but this weekend cleaning up a mustang, had some pesky water spots on the glass. Tried vinegar, with out success. What worked nicely was 3m adhesive remover.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Maybe you should swap the windscreen for one from the Bulgemobile Fireball with its improved glass? (Thanks to the hilarious Bruce McCall)

Attachments

• 562EE142-7D0B-4B5F-A67C-10085537438F.jpg
    562EE142-7D0B-4B5F-A67C-10085537438F.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 142

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Try 'Soft Scrub', the basic household cleaner. I have used this for many detail jobs in the shop with great results. Maybe grab a piece of glass and experiment with it first.
If you go with it, place towels on your dash, hold in place with some blue tape to protect everything.
Hope you get rid of the haze.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
My glass installer suggested using glass cooktop cleaner. only thing that removes the suction cup marks

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My glass installer suggested using glass cooktop cleaner. only thing that removes the suction cup marks

That sounds hazardous to dash top. Best to be protected.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I helped my mom do the windows in our house when I was in school she made the cleaner. As I recall it was ammonia, detergent, rubbing alcohol and vinegar. For a gallon it was a cap of ammonia, a few drops of detergent, a few ounces of alcohol and vinegar the rest water.