Ford GT - Note of Appreciation

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Well, I'm not certain this is the appropriate subforum, however I'd like to ensure all read this.

I've a long history of association with air-cooled 911s, know them well and have always appreciated the iconic beauty and racing history of these cars. Same goes for the Ford GT40 and the second generation cars. I know how to go about acquiring a good quality 911, however the Ford was new and I really had to learn more about them and depend on others to assist me in locating a suitable car.

I began to learn more about these cars at the beginning of this year through this forum and via direct communication with members. I'll initially say that forum members across the board have been tremendously helpful to me. Supportive, free with information and advice, enthusiastic, what more needs to be said? Several individuals, however, need to be identified for their help in making a good purchase. Ed Lee was a fund of information, noting all the qualities that make these cars great and yet different from the 911. You gotta remember, I was a dyed in the wool 911 fan so stepping out (and up) to the Ford was unknown territory. Anyway, Ed was patient and answered my many questions about the character of the car. Guess it helps that both he and I had a Porsche history so he was familiar with that car's qualities. One other individual, Chris (Beez), was also helpful in answering questions, suggesting possible sources. Really appreciative of their assistance. Rich Brooks, by the way, needs to be mentioned for his input in helping me to make a wise decision.

I recently purchased a 2006 black, 4 option, sub thousand mile car and couldn't be happier. I acquired the car through Chris Desnaux of Desnaux Motorsports. Would highly recommend Chris as a source for good quality cars. He has extensive knowledge of the build and is eager to make the client pleased with his purchase.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about these cars from forum members. Wanted to ask those with black Fords, what are products that work well with black paint? And having viewed the Rally 12 Krispy media video multiple times, gotta ask, what (Springsteen?) song is that in the opening segment?

Jeff

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Welcome! Ed was instrumental when I bought mine and its been a bromance since.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Let's hoist our virtual drinks in welcome celebration!

We look forward to some pics!

-Brian

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations and welcome to our little GT world!

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Sounds like a great purchase - enjoy. The only thing better than driving your GT is driving your GT in a string of GTs and seeing the joy it brings to other people as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Welcome to the forum

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Sounds like you got a great GT and put in plenty of research beforehand- enjoy!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Congrats!!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Welcome and congrats.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congratulations and welcome, you have had some contact with some great guys! ! Enjoy and make it to a rally!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Welcome Jeff!
Glad to have you on board. I’m a big fan of air cooled Porches and VWs too!! Look forward to meeting you at a rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I remember when Bonehead aka Ed was looking for his GT. Time goes fast. He is passing on the favor by helping others.

Welcome jyork965 to the best forum in the world!

Special Ed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Welcome Jeff,

and congrats to your new toy. You‘ll not regret it, it is a very sound and solid car that is going to get you hours of smiling everytime you are driving it. And the Forum is a great and fun place too, lots of information, lots of inside people and occasional venting about anything cars. And there are the yearly rallys, great event to gather with great people.

To make it short, you did everything right :thumbsup

Matthias

DXBGT

GT Owner
May 16, 2018
Welcome to the forum!!

Seems like we have things in common - we both love Porsches and recently made the jump into this amazing machine. I dropped the research bit and went with my heart on this one more than my brain :p. No regrets yet.

I still love Porsches and own a few (including an early 911), but when you need a dose of crazy, the GT certainly does not disappoint. Only wish they had Porsche gauges in them and less sensitive fuel systems :p.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Welcome to the GT family!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Welcome to the Forum... I would suggest a color correction, Xpel & and ceramic coating by a professional for the black paint.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Congrats on the purchase. Nothing wrong with a 911. You will love the GT for similar reasons and not so similar reasons. Enjoy.

Vince H

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Welcome
You will not regret your new purchase...

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Second on the ceramic coating, well worth the money.

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions regarding upkeep of the Ford. Color correction has been done, working on the Xpel. Yes to the appreciation for the Porsche but looking forward to seeing what this GT is all about. The 94' 3.6 single turbo is nice and with little lag, but that V8 is something else. Kudos to Ed and Brian for helping to push me in this direction. No doubt I'll have some questions to ask from those far knowledgable than myself. Again, appreciate the sincere welcome.