Factory OEM Ford GT battery still has the JUICE!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
It's blazing hot today in Southern California. Pretty sure I could make omelette on my black Ford GT.

Anyway, I'm driving down the street and I see this landscaping truck with hood up and jumper cables attached so I stop my truck.

Hook up his cables and give it a shot with my V8 running and throttle applied.

Nothing but clicks. But I'll take clicks over silence any day.

So, I pull out my 12-13 year OEM Ford GT original battery which I replaced a few years solely as a precautionary measure, since it was getting up in age, and attached my own HD jumper cables, and VOILA. Instant power! Successful jump with the stand alone battery.

Nice to see that it still has the juice, I use it in the marine case from time to time to power random items. Pretty impressed with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5126.jpg
    IMG_5126.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 228

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I wonder what the cranking amps are now. If the amps get low on the GT, it will go into limp mode even though the engine will still crank.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Impressive for a 12 year old battery. it sounds like your truck needs a new battery.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Impressive for a 12 year old battery. it sounds like your truck needs a new battery.

I think my OEM 2016 truck battery is fine.

The mistake was using the landscaper's battery cables to try to jump it. They looked okay to me, and he already had his cables hooked to his battery, so we used them.

But I didn't trust his set up, so I grabbed my heavier duty cables and I just used the box battery to give the jump.

If I had hooked up the HD cables to my truck, pretty sure it would have started as well. Just wanted to mix it up, since option 1 was a no go.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just replaced my OEM last summer. Zero complaints with its service life. It seemed fine when I pulled it.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Pretty sure I’ve gone through 3-4 batteries on my GT in 13 years. You guys must be luckier I guess. Last one happened to crap out on a rally through the Florida keys. Got it jumped but the AC wouldn’t turn on. Middle of summer, bumper to bumper traffic. Needless to say the only thing to smile about was that I was in a GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Pretty sure I’ve gone through 3-4 batteries on my GT in 13 years. You guys must be luckier I guess. Last one happened to crap out on a rally through the Florida keys. Got it jumped but the AC wouldn’t turn on. Middle of summer, bumper to bumper traffic. Needless to say the only thing to smile about was that I was in a GT.

During Rally 12 a group of us had to stop in Provo so a fellow FGTF member could do a roadside battery swap. Fortunately for him the auto parts store had an Optima battery that fit the GT. The poor guy was push starting his GT. Special K did the install for him so problem solved.

64b625c97721cb1e4970a0a51be85c5e.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I had my GT for 13 years & only replaced the OEM battery once as a precautionary measure like Syco did.

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Ah yes, that was kind of Ed to R&R your battery. When I did mine, I remember it being a bit of a back breaker, since it's hard to access with the clamshell in the way. And it's heavy when you are lifting it, and stretched out.

Thankfully, we may only need to do it every 7-8 years or so!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've kept the original batteries - and keep them on the battery tender.

My wife left the ignition turn on, and completely drained her battery. I took one of the original (charged) batteries - and tried to jumper them to her car, which just resulted in come clicking. We then jump started it with her (running) Lincoln - and it fired right up.

I was not as lucky with my original battery....