My visit to MultiMatic - Red, White and Ford Blue on the 4th

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I traveled to and back from Toronto yesterday taking advantage of the Independence Day holiday here in the states as it’s not a heavy day for air travel. The visit had been arranged by my Ford GT Concierge as my car VIN J143 is now well into its build.

Touring this facility with its very friendly and knowledgeable Technical Director, Pearce as my guide was one of the best 1 1/2 hours of my life. The factory is smaller than you think it will be, however some ops, such as the forming and autoclaving of the carbon fiber panels and most of the panel prep and painting, are carried out at other Multimatic facilities. Aluminum welding on the front frame member is also performed elsewhere ... likely robotically given the beautiful and very consistent "stack of nickels" appearance of the welds. Markham is more like a boutique racecar assembly operation. There is no assembly line ... rather, there are 9 assembly stations as well as other operations including a large painting booth, wheel alignment machine, Dynojet, water spray booth to check for leaks, lighted inspection tunnel, etc. The facility currently employs 160 and runs on one shift. At the end of the day, they play musical chairs with the wheeled dollies used to hold and transport the assemblies, moving each to its next station. When I got on the floor, my car was at station #9 and three techs were installing the interior door panels, seats and other interior trim. The rest of my GT was essentially complete except for mounting of its wheels/tires. From there, it will go onto the Dyno, water leak test, a Multimatic inspection followed by a 4 hour final QC inspection by Ford personnel in a very bright florescent light booth. It will also get its “portrait” taken in that booth and owners will get that pic, along with some others of your car taken as the build process progressed. Production remains at the target of 5 cars completed per week.

The cars are then ready for shipping by Reliable. I’d say there were around 15 cars there in various stages of assembly and several more finished, either at inspection or waiting for shipment scheduling. Five cars are transported in a Reliable big rig, so they obviously try to group cars geographically for each delivery trip.

Surprisingly, there is a distinct lack of power tools used in the assembly operations, with the exception of the occasional die grinder. Mostly hand tools and torque wrenches are used, with “Blue” ones that electronically transmit the torque data to a QC database. Build Books similar to ’05 and ’06 GT’s are in use and EVERY operation is signed off by a tech or supervisor. I asked if it would be possible to get the Build Book for J143, however Pearce advised they must be retained by Ford for liability reasons. I think a few may have "escaped" Wixom last time but mums the word on that.

The paint finish and panel fit are the best I’ve ever seen ... even the (huge) Brembo brake calipers have a show quality paint job. Over 600 manhours in the body painting processes alone.

One of the race cars was on the floor and a large group from Ford Ganassi Racing was visiting and were being taken through by Larry Holt. I was hoping to see Raj and talk him into taking a minute for a pic with me next to my car, but no such luck.

All in all, a great day and well worth the time and effort. I highly recommend you visit Markham when your GT is within its assembly window as it's the experience of a lifetime and will add greatly to your overall NFGT experience to see firsthand how these magnificent cars are constructed. It's wonderful that Ford has offered this tour and provided a one-on-one knowledgeable guide like Pearce to walk you and up to three of your friends or family travelling with you through the Multimatic facility.

Looks like my GT should be delivered in late July or early August so stay tuned for pics of that blessed event.

usmcfred

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Sounds great can't wait for the opportunity.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Great write up. Thank you. Looking forward to the experience next year.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Love to hear details like that. Cant wait to see pics of the final product!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great story... a visit I will NOT miss!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Fred
Sounds like a once and a lifetime experience!
Can’t wait to see your car!
Also can’t wait to do the same to Watch and experience the same!
We are clearly very lucky!

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for that write-up..... and I thought I couldn't get more anxious!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great job Fred!! Glad you went.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Nice write-up sounds really cool, hoping I can do the same thing end of August beginning of September

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Fred, Great write up! Thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like you will have her for the next Rally. Cant wait to see your choices in the build. Congratulations.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thank you for your observations and commentary.
Looking forward to specs and pictures.
Excited for you.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I can only say "Jealous"

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great write up, congratulations.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Thanks for the great commentary! You’re right: Do the MM Tour!! Looking forward to seeing your girl!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Very nice post ucmcfred! I wish we had more notice on when it's time to visit.

Ed

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Wow, great reporting! You did a great job of describing the assembly process with excellent detail!! Enjoy the ride!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
DELIVERY WINDOW SET

Concierge has updated delivery window for J143 to July 27 - August 2.

I'm totally psyched!

usmcfred

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Thanks for sharing, sounds like an amazing place for any true die hard gear head. I would love to be able to experience this facility and see Ford GT's being built from scratch!!