I’m going to be out of power for month how do I trickle?

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Well right now we do have about 20hrs of daylight. I do have solar battery chargers that came with a few VW's my daughter bought. They do work ok, but they don't work in the basement and this summer has been crappy with very little sunny days. If you don't want to disconnect it, 400 feet of cable (which is ok but will see some voltage drop) or Paul's suggestion of starting it is your best chose.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I would disconnect the battery. The ECU resets itself fairly easily

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I would disconnect the battery. The ECU resets itself fairly easily

Yup, agree, your easiest solution.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Start the car every week and let the alternator do the work.
Ditto what Sinovac said. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but this is getting too complicated. If it's only gonna be a month, don't do anything. It will be fine. If it goes more than a month, take it for a short drive.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Drive it every day! Summer is to short there! Don’t miss a day!
It’s a long winter in Alaska!ya

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Only a month without power? I assumed 6 months plus. Agree with PeterK, don't do anything, that's nothing, it will be fine.
Ditto what Sinovac said. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but this is getting too complicated. If it's only gonna be a month, don't do anything. It will be fine. If it goes more than a month, take it for a short drive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
.... but this is getting too complicated. ......

Nah :lol :lol :lol. Your voltage drop from a 120VAC source with a 1 Amperes load current on a 400 feet 10 AWG (gauge Copper wire) extension cord is 0.8 Volts AC, voltage drop % is 0.67%, voltage at the connection of the Battery charger/tender is 119.2 VAC (other end of the extension cord). Estimate only given ambient temp conditions and temp rise as it gets hotter in the day, even if you use a 12 AWG extension cord your end voltage is 118.7 VAC :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How do you guys trickle when you don't want to stop between fill-ups?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Lol Gary!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
How do you guys trickle when you don't want to stop between fill-ups?
:rofl

Bill I.

Oct 9, 2013
Farmington Hills, MI
I am simply a lurker on here, however I work for Ford Customer Service Division performing service part strategy and support and I am an ASE Certified Tech (formerly working with Lingenfelter Performance).

My .02 (and it truly is just my opinion), remove the charger and keep the battery connected. A single month should not cause the battery any harm and despite some parasitic draw, the car will most likely start. I personally would start the car one time in that period and let it warm up (perhaps 15 minutes or so).

None of the advice given to you on this thread is bad or will harm the vehicle, so honestly do what works best for you. These car's ECU's reset fairly quickly.

All the best,
Bill

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
No emissions testing in Alaska. Plus, open carry. Paradise. :lol

And you can smoke weed doing it!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
My .02 (and it truly is just my opinion), remove the charger and keep the battery connected. A single month should not cause the battery any harm and despite some parasitic draw, the car will most likely start. I personally would start the car one time in that period and let it warm up (perhaps 15 minutes or so).

All the best,
Bill[/QUOTE]

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk