I’m going to be out of power for month how do I trickle?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
So there has always been a lot of talk about our batteries and trickle charging.
I trickle.
But my man cave will be without power maybe a month.
Any kind of product with a charge and an outlet that is like a jumper type handy device I can trickle from while I’m out?
Thnx

Obviously this is just a temporary measure.
And I can “charge” said device as needed and then bring back to GT.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I would just disconnect the battery. I have a customers GT that just sits here, I trickle charge it about once a year and all is good when he wants to take is out.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is a difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender. I have a tender that I got from Interstate Batteries but I think is rebranded from the "Battery Tender Junior" line. Mine is a model up from the Junior in that it only supplies charging when it is needed. Actually, I think all tenders probably behave that way now due to the California regs.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would just disconnect the battery. I have a customers GT that just sits here, I trickle charge it about once a year and all is good when he wants to take is out.

If you disconnect the battery you will have to run the drive cycle to get emissions to pass.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
You may consider a Solar Powered Battery Tender

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
No emissions testing in Alaska. Plus, open carry. Paradise. :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Like this

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/5-Watt-Solar-Tender-Charger-With-Built-in-Controller.html

They have 5, 10 and 15W.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast

That’s a cool idea. Anybody know how many watts I’d need?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That’s a cool idea. Anybody know how many watts I’d need?

Mine is 900ma, so 10.8w. I think the Battery Tender Jr package (that includes the cable to route the plug outside the car) is 750ma = 9w. So the 10W version should be OK.

(Note, the Battery Tender units have all changed in appearance since I got mine.)

Note: You have to consider that an AC wall wart will have a 100% emand duty cycle. That is, if the battery falls below the enable point the AC one will just do it. The solar will have to have light. So if the demand happens at midnight, AC workie, solar darkie :) If so then you might step up one wattage to the 15W version. If you're in AK though you get light almost all the time right?

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
how about a REAL LONG Extension cord from your house.
andy (ajb)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
10 watts minimum. I’d get the 15 watt model.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
how about a REAL LONG Extension cord from your house.
andy (ajb)

I wish. 400 feet?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
No emissions testing in Alaska. Plus, open carry. Paradise. :lol

Well, For 3-4 months at least. :lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wish. 400 feet?

400’ is no problem. We ran longer cords than that when I worked construction. However, 400 feet of extension cords will probably cost you more than the solar charger.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Looks like 200Ft is $100 on Amazon
Maybe for $200 I’d have something slightly more versatile and less fragile.

But,....the lawn mower guy lurks...,

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You'll get alot of IR drop on a 400' extension cord. The charger would probably operate down below 90V but you'd probably struggle to run a skil saw.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have run 400 feet many times. Also, when I saw your location as 'Northeast" , I just do not picture enough solar / sunshine to make a solar powered unit functional.
andy (ajb)

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
How about remove battery from car and take it to somewhere to plug in the battery tender. I'm calling thread-wrap.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Start the car every week and let the alternator do the work.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

Absolutely agree, just disconnect at the terminals AFTER the battery has been fully charged. It will last a year.