Battery access when battery is dead.

Sven4300

Jun 16, 2018
Hi,
I have 2006 GT and would like to know how I can access/replace a dead battery for charging?
Thanks,

Sven

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Use your key to open the trunk up front. Keyhole is on left side. Same position as keyhole on R for gas filler. Take out the trunk liner out and you have access to battery. Consider keeping car on a trickle charger.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Use your key to open trunk. Driver side latch Same as adding fuel on other side, There will be 4 plastic retainers to remove and remove liner to find battery.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure you pad the fender. Use a towel or blanket. Keeps little dents out of the aluminum fender.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Be careful not to lose the finger tight plastic retainers when you lift the liner to get to the battery. The retainers will fall out and into the lower compartment and disappear forever. Ask me how I know? Lift the liner straight up and out! Good luck!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might also use a string to help finding the hold down clamp after the new battery is in.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Be careful not to lose the finger tight plastic retainers when you lift the liner to get to the battery. The retainers will fall out and into the lower compartment and disappear forever. Ask me how I know? Lift the liner straight up and out! Good luck!

Pretty sure I have 4-5 down there somewhere. LOL

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA

Those things do kind of suck. They are easy to drop and hard to insert back on and tighten. And there are so many of the darned things...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If Hawking ever needed tangible proof that black holes existed all someone had to do was show him a Ford GT belly pan.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^^^
Baaaaa

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
You might also use a string to help finding the hold down clamp after the new battery is in.

I didn't, it took me 2 minutes to change the battery and 40 minutes to find the hold down clamp :rofl.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I tell my wife and daughter that our house eats scissors. The GT eats retainers.....

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
When I park my 06, I back into the garage and snug the drivers side up to the wall, then climb over the console. Keeps the GT away from the daily driver and allows me to steer away from the wall on the way out. I'm thinking it would be effortless to pop the trunk as I get out, and a pig to try and access the battery if it went dead before the next drive. (hood release up against the wall). Not a problem for off season storage...tire cradles.

yeah, pop the trunk.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
The solar units are very effective. I have several and throw one on the dash of my Raptor when I’m parked at the airport for a few weeks or more. Never have to worry about the brain drain.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Post should be on trickle thread.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have the original batteries in my GT's...after 13 -14 yrs. They perform flawlessly too...and are plugged in most of the time to a C-Tek. But I have noticed that the voltage regulator on my white GT is shot...and need replacing.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I tell my wife and daughter that our house eats scissors. The GT eats retainers.....

Have you ever owned a Cobra? No belly pan. The female bolts and nuts mated with the male bolts and nuts and their offspring fell off the car onto the garage floor.

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
I was at the Mojave mile and the battery died at the end of the first day it was a fairly simple task to remove the old batter and put in an equivalent. I would recommend getting the same spec Optima battery that is made for the Ford GT.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Last I checked these buggers are still available, I think a dime a piece.