Tires

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
I am in the market to replace the tires on my 2005 GFT. When I purchased the car from the previous owner in 2011 I replaced all the tires because the car was a very early Phase I unit with a November 9, 2004 build date which meant the tires were at least 7 years old. . Unfortunately at the time I replaced the titres I had not found this great website so I replaced them with the OEM Goodyear Eagles. Wrong move. These tires are now 7 years old and due for replacement. In 2013 I had the GT Guys do a pulley, tune and exhaust upgrade on the car which further exacerbated the traction issue with these tires. I drive the car on a regular basis, having accumulated some 19000 miles to date. I am 88 years old so obviously I don't track the car but if traffic conditions permit I have been known to push it bit. So, given all this background I would really like some recommendations from you experts out there as to what tire make and size I should consider. I want to keep the ride heights as close to original as possible.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Check the Technical forum. Lots of discussion there. Consensus for street tires is the Bridgestones in those sizes. Those are about the only rear tires that have the same diameters as the Goodyears.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Search can be your friend :) As mentioned there are many topics on this subject. Bridgestones are the closest. Search will find all the info you need and more.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Bridgestones, Bridgestones, Bridgestones and Bridgestones.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Here you go mate,

Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 265/40ZR18 101(Y) N-1 (Porsche)

Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia 345/35R19 110(Y)

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Here you go mate,

Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 265/40ZR18 101(Y) N-1 (Porsche)

Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia 345/35R19 110(Y)

These. Far far better IMHO than Goodyears.
I think I'm on at least 3rd set. Maybe more.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Ditto Bridgestones

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
As for where to source the Bridgestones, many seem to use Simple Tire and Tire Rack.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Or Amazon.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
I just bought a 2006 FGT and replaced the 12 years old Goodyears with the new Bridgestone, and they made a huge difference!

With the added width, the car does follow the road a bit as a result. But overall stance looks so much better with the extra 30mm.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Or Amazon.

I spotted them on Amazon and started the topic but am waiting for someone to order some to see how fresh they are. Search will find the topic

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Bridgestones it will be. I’ll get them from Tire Rack where I have bought many tires in the past.Now if I can find a set of those optional BBS wheels to replace the clunky 6 spoke cast wheels that came with the car I would be in hog heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bridgestones it will be. I’ll get them from Tire Rack where I have bought many tires in the past.Now if I can find a set of those optional BBS wheels to replace the clunky 6 spoke cast wheels that came with the car I would be in hog heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before buying them anywhere verify the build dates on the tires. You don't want to buy expired tires

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look on eBay for wheels. Northwoods GT usually has some in stock.

charlie27

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2017
Front Michelin PS2's are:
245/40 Z 18

Rear PS2's are:
345/30 Z 19

Strongly recommend

Fit no problem great traction

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
I replaced the original Goodyear's many year's ago with Michelin Pilot Super sport's 245/40/ZR18 front 345/30/ZR30. These tire's are a huge step up from the original tire's. I've never had an issue and have ran the car at the Mojave Mile, road course event's and thousand's of miles of street driving. Another time you can also look at are the new PS4 Michelin tire.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
245/40 Z 18

Rear PS2's are:
345/30 Z 19

Strongly recommend

Man those are rubber band sidewall heights. Maybe those are not as harsh on rough streets my experience has been with that tiny profile, but I don't even like the look of all that missing tire in the wheel wells.

Track only? I can understand that.....a bit more.
But that's just me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
245/40 Z 18

Rear PS2's are:
345/30 Z 19

Strongly recommend

They don't meet the OP's criterion: "I want to keep the ride heights as close to original as possible."

Do we really need another multi-page tire thread?

Last edited:

sdgt

Aug 28, 2016
Wish that michelin would come out with factory replacement tires for the GT that are ZR rated. I have mentioned it to someone I know at michelin corporate and they said it is a weird size tire, which it is. I wonder how many people we would have to have commit to buying a new set for them to make new PS4S or cup 2's.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would commit to the Bridgestone sizes (265/345) but not stock size or rubber band profiles.