How come I don't see FGTs anymore on the street?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Where's our fearless leader Kevin (KJRGT)?

I still remember the awesome drive he organized to Big Bear Mountain and the lunch at Lake Arrowhead few years back, 20-22 FGT present if my memory serves me, maybe this thread is calling for another gathering?

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Let's do it let's get a group of GT's in for a nice drive I'm in!!

Lady Moose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 28, 2016
Some years ago when i had my Smart Car (sorry Specracer), I was at a stoplight when a black GT pulled up next to me. I motioned for him to roll down his window (which he did), and I yelled out that my other car was...
I don't think he believed me.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Me too! Count me in!

Let's do it let's get a group of GT's in for a nice drive I'm in!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Im still driving mine as much as possible
I just hit 48,888.!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I live in a small town in Mississippi....I have a neighbor with a 2006 GT just like mine, not 500 yards from me. I have another friend with one in Gulfport with a modded twin turbo GT...so we are scattered around.

I just got in from driving mine, 21,000 miles and no issues.

BTW, you have one of the most amazing car collections I have ever seen on this board in the past 11 years.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Estimating the average age of owners from those who attend the annual rallies, it's definitely over 60, probably over 65. Very few owners under 50. Or under 60 for that matter. DBK is in diapers compared to most of us. Well, some of us might wear diapers at the other end of the age scale!

Also interesting to note is the sex of owners (not "gender"!). I heard there were one or two women who were sole owners, but I've never met them or verified those rumors. There are some spouse/co-owners, and "Lady Moose" appears to have wrested possession (9/10ths of the law!) of the Tichy's new orange NFGT, but if there are other female owners, they are exceedingly rare. GTs seem to be 99.9% a male obsession. I think it goes back to having a Hot Wheels toy as a young boy in the 1960's. Some kind of unrequited love. Maybe it's like the old style Snap-On shop calendars--you think, "When I grow up I'm gonna get one just like that!"

I believe you will start to see a “GT renaissance” in the next few years. I’m 38, and could only dream of owning a 2005 GT when they came out. I remember being 25, newly married, with a new born, and seeing Alan Jackson riding around in one on tv. I told myself that I would own a GT one day... Now it’s a reality, and I don’t think I’m the only one of my generation that had the same goal. These cars are being handed off to the next generation of owners, and they are not in it solely for the “investment.” I ignore the odometer and let the car take me wherever I want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I just hit 48,888.!

Yer not driving it enough!

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
You still see some roaming regularly in NC, if you look in the right places. That said, of the 8 in my neighborhood,only one is regularly out. We are planning a gathering for next month.

Attachments

• B2F12983-C01E-436A-A513-93D05C50EE6B.jpeg
    B2F12983-C01E-436A-A513-93D05C50EE6B.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 129

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I just hit 48,888.!

You need another 100,000 or so. So far close to 6 times around the world .

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I just hit 48,888.!

Nice Rocketman...

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
+1

You and me both! When the Ford GT came out, I was only 24 years old at the time and I just started my company about 2 years in. I always wanted a FGT, but at the time, my money was all tied up with my business. Now I look at this beautiful car sitting in my garage and I can't get the grins off of my face :cheers

I believe you will start to see a “GT renaissance” in the next few years. I’m 38, and could only dream of owning a 2005 GT when they came out. I remember being 25, newly married, with a new born, and seeing Alan Jackson riding around in one on tv. I told myself that I would own a GT one day... Now it’s a reality, and I don’t think I’m the only one of my generation that had the same goal. These cars are being handed off to the next generation of owners, and they are not in it solely for the “investment.” I ignore the odometer and let the car take me wherever I want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
As of a couple years ago there was a guy that lives about 75 miles north of me that has / had 5 GT's and only one gets driven.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Some years ago when i had my Smart Car (sorry Specracer), I was at a stoplight when a black GT pulled up next to me. I motioned for him to roll down his window (which he did), and I yelled out that my other car was...
I don't think he believed me.

I wouldn't believe it either! LOL

Ed

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
I couldn't agree more.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Wow! I don't think I ever saw more than 3 FGTs together at one time.

Alright, so when is the next rally for us Socal guys? I need to go out and meet some FGT owners :biggrin

Congrats on your new GT ownership!

Back in the days of 2006-2010 or so we would have a number of organized GT drives each year here in SoCal. We even did over night jaunts. I think our biggest drive was 22 GTs one early November, with perfect weather. We met in Redlands, went up the back side to Big Bear, lunched at Lake Arrowhead, then went down through Crestline on our way to the I 15 finish line.

We would also hit the Cars and Coffee in Irvine alot, then it crapped out.

I'm all for getting together, but kind of lost an idea of where the weekend Cars and Coffees are. Malibu is right up the coast from me so I am always ready to get out early and enjoy the roads with GT brethren.

Anyway, all we need is for someone to get fired up and organize something.....sounds like it may be time for a Rookie to step up! :biggrin

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Here is one pic.....

Attachments

• CIMG1222.jpg
    CIMG1222.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 163

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
All a matter of timing. It was there when you weren't. Mine has been in a lot of places in the 31,000 miles I have driven. First is at 4 corners monument...4 states at once! The other is from one of Chip Beck's "Rally to the Rally" events. Don't miss this one! Gives you a chance to see one up ahead, or in the rearview...what other folks get to see when you're driving.

Attachments

• ford313_30745911602_4379_n.jpg
    ford313_30745911602_4379_n.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 134
  • ford330_31926376602_3125_n.jpg
    ford330_31926376602_3125_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 133

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
At one time I estimated 2 to 3 dozen in Calgary, a city of about a million. Based on guys I knew or met, dealerships I knew had sold one, car shows, and ones I saw on the road that I didn't know. And you are right, haven't seen another on the road for a long time, not like it used to was,

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I got mine with 7 miles on the odo on August 23rd, 2005 (Santa Monica Ford). It turned over 31,000 miles a couple months ago.

After 13 years in Southern California I’ve attended plenty of local GT drives (plus the national rallys), but in terms of seeing one “in the wild” with no connection to a GT-specific event? No way 10 times, and probably less than 5 times. It’s always surprised me how rarely they are being driven, and it’s confirmed everytime I drive mine. Even in car-jaded Southern California it causes a major stir when it leaves the garage.

A SoCal GT driving event is long overdue. Let’s give the locals a reason to think all GTs aren’t just garage queens.