How come I don't see FGTs anymore on the street?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Watch it. I’m still 49 for 2 months.

Not too many GTs in western Oregon and southwestern Washington, although I suspect there are many more that never leave their garage. I know of fewer than 10, and have only seen one actually on the road in the last six years. I've seen two of them at events (once each) but other than that, nada. Mine has about 28,000 miles on it now, and I regularly have folks talk to me who have never seen one for real. I think many GTs were sold to people who never intended to drive them. The only one sold by the Corvallis Ford dealer was picked up with a trailer and never seen or heard of again until it was put up for sale by the owner's widow 3-4 months ago - it had 39 miles on it. What's the fun in that? He couldn't take it with him, could he?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I can count on one, maybe 2 hands the number of GT's Ive seen in the wild (NOT counting rallys or other car events). Very few in MA, and our driving season is short also.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Only 2 in the wild since 2005 hard to believe in the south

Last edited:

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Two in the wild here in SW Missouri, Ozarks. One about 5 years ago, and one yesterday at a gas station in Branson (white), but I could not stop and find out if the owner was a Forum friend or not.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Good point, and something that I haven't thought of, is the age of the average FGT owners. What would you say the average age of the FGT owners? 55-65?

I'm 36 but I always admired race cars from the 60s. If Ferrari made a modern day reinterpretation of their 312P Berlinetta race car, I would be all over that in a second!

Jeez, nice collection! Excellent taste in your GT color also. Good to see someone else in their mid 30s :wink

Great point about GT owners now being older. Buying a GT at age 21 in 2005 would have been a better investment than the house I bought in Scottsdale and finally puked at a 35% loss 13 years later!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think half of the '05-06 GTs were wrapped & put away. They are being bought by people that will do the same. Maybe thats one of the reasons that you don't see lots of them on the road. Of course there are 253 million cars on the road in the US right now & they only made 4034 '05-06 GTs. Thats might be the real answer. Well, if you own one get it out on the road!

Ed

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
No way! 35% loss after 13 years? That's unheard of. If you bought any properties in SoCal in 2005, you would have made at least 80-100% return on your money today.

Jeez, nice collection! Excellent taste in your GT color also. Good to see someone else in their mid 30s :wink

Great point about GT owners now being older. Buying a GT at age 21 in 2005 would have been a better investment than the house I bought in Scottsdale and finally puked at a 35% loss 13 years later!

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
That's really unfortunate, because the FGT is a great driver's car.

It's interesting to see that back in the days, people would pick up their FGT in a trailer during delivery. I guess this is pretty standard practice for FGT. You don't ever see Porsche customers picking up their 150k 911 C4S in a trailer, as most of these cars are typically their daily drivers.

Here are some pics of my 918 driving in the pouring rain last year, coming back from SF to LA. She's got 3800 miles so far, with many more to come!

The only one sold by the Corvallis Ford dealer was picked up with a trailer and never seen or heard of again until it was put up for sale by the owner's widow 3-4 months ago - it had 39 miles on it. What's the fun in that? He couldn't take it with him, could he?

Attachments

• IMG_9287.jpg
    IMG_9287.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_9353.jpg
    IMG_9353.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9355.jpg
    IMG_9355.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 148

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Welcome Unotaz!

Killer collection. When are you getting your Pista?

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Thank you!

Pista is arriving around February 2019.

Welcome Unotaz!

Killer collection. When are you getting your Pista?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Awesome, that's around the same time I'm getting my Senna.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Congrats! The Senna is the ultimate track weapon :thumbsup

Awesome, that's around the same time I'm getting my Senna.

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
A car is meant to be driven, not squirreled away in some dark hole never to be seen again. I am 88 years old and I drive my 2005 FGT on a regular basis. I liken these guys that buy a FGT and then never drive it to some one who is married to the world's most beautiful model and then never has sex with her. Are you crazy???

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You’re my hero if you’re 88 years old and still having sex. :lol

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Let me clarify my statement. I said I drive my FGT on a regular basis not that I have sex on a regular basis. The rush I get from driving the car is about as close as I can get to the “real thing.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
:lol

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Is there a difference between driving a GT and sex?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Is there a difference between driving a GT and sex?
Absolutely! A FGT won't care if you have more than one car!

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Very well said what is the point of having a powerful machine if you don't enjoy her and take her out for some fun rides. Life is short their is no point to just look at the car and post picture's next to it. Get it on the open road and drive it and see and enjoy the vehicle for what it is. To many people are buying super cars simply as investment's or just as something to talk about but they hardly ever drive the car's. What a waste.