Shop recommendation for extensive work? Paint & Mods

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
A lot of people like the short shift kits. I don't. It not only shortens the throws, but increases the effort proportionately, and I think it leads to more missed shifts. I happen to think the original shifter was an excellent compromise between shift throw and effort.

Can you go back to stock ?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Absolutely, but very few have had any issue with the short shifter. I put one on ~2006, and would do it a hundred times over. Done many track days, even texas mile, I personally have never missed a shift.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
. Of course.

Now, I'm not against short shifters as a general rule, because some cars definitely benefit. In early 911's for example, it reduces the amount of slop in the shift linkage, and the original shifter gave you a lot of leverage (low effort, but long throws), so tightening it up definitely improves the feel. But I don't know many people who think the first thing they have to do with their manual Mustang is to put a short shifter in it. Some of you probably have, but it's not a popular conversion.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For the Gen 5 GT500 crowd, changing to the MGW shifter is a very popular modification.

I like long throws in 60's Muscle cars that really aren't all that fast to begin with.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
After having one on another car I put it on the FGT before I even took delivery. I'd never go back.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Okay, I surrender (but I still like my stock GT shifter).

I tried the short shifter and really did not like it. In my car, it just made shifting harder with no discernible (to me) advantage. I swapped it back to the original.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
These experiences are so far from my own, I am starting to wonder if some shifters had problems? :confused

Also, I would mention that there was a break-in period where I noticed it got a little smoother, but it was not difficult to begin with.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My short shift is like butter. When I have driven other cars with out it, I say to myself, "oh right, long throw shifter"

Your results may vary...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
. Of course.

Now, I'm not against short shifters as a general rule, because some cars definitely benefit. In early 911's for example, it reduces the amount of slop in the shift linkage, and the original shifter gave you a lot of leverage (low effort, but long throws), so tightening it up definitely improves the feel. But I don't know many people who think the first thing they have to do with their manual Mustang is to put a short shifter in it. Some of you probably have, but it's not a popular conversion.

Funny, with my 1996 Cobra and my 1997 Roush Stage II Mustang, the short shift kits were always one of my first mods to personally install. Huge improvement.

As for the Ford GT, I thought the same and did the mod early. I agree though, it takes quite a bit of effort to engage, particularly reverse. Other than that, it feels solid and amazing.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Much like the habit I have of getting into 2nd before finding first gear, I often do a 1-2 shift then glide into Reverse. Seems to smooth everything out nicely.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
If I will be backing up from a start, I put the tranny in reverse, then hit the start button. That's 90+% of the cases for using reverse. I've noticed that when temps dip below freezing here, it can be difficult to get into reverse if I start the engine first. Other than that, I heel-and-toe or match RPM as close as practical for downshifts.