Extended Color Palette

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
1. Surprised more people haven't done ECP stripes. If you didn't know, this is an option. I don't think the car needs stripes, but if you're a stripe guy, you can open the door to a lot of very interesting combinations by going off the standard and doing custom color stripes. And it's very reasonable money to do it.

2. There are 1,300+ Axalta finishes in the catalog that should be available as a custom color. Personally, I enjoy seeing the car in a wide variety of different colors and finishes, primarily because it looks good in virtually all of them. I've got dozens of colors in my head I'd like to see the car in. I'm not gonna get into a whole big thing about it, but people have literally just sent in a pic of my car and been like "gimme that." I walked in the plant the other day and saw Riviera Blue GT number 3, and it appears there are more coming. To me, that is super weird. It's a really rare car with a virtually limitless array of color and trim combos, so I can't wrap my head around just ordering what some other guy ordered from the custom paint program. If you need help picking a color, I will help you. :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
1. Surprised more people haven't done ECP stripes. If you didn't know, this is an option. I don't think the car needs stripes, but if you're a stripe guy, you can open the door to a lot of very interesting combinations by going off the standard and doing custom color stripes. And it's very reasonable money to do it.

2. There are 1,300+ Axalta finishes in the catalog that should be available as a custom color. Personally, I enjoy seeing the car in a wide variety of different colors and finishes, primarily because it looks good in virtually all of them. I've got dozens of colors in my head I'd like to see the car in. I'm not gonna get into a whole big thing about it, but people have literally just sent in a pic of my car and been like "gimme that." I walked in the plant the other day and saw Riviera Blue GT number 3, and it appears there are more coming. To me, that is super weird. It's a really rare car with a virtually limitless array of color and trim combos, so I can't wrap my head around just ordering what some other guy ordered from the custom paint program. If you need help picking a color, I will help you. :lol

They say imitation is the best form of flattery.. you made a bold choice and it worked well !! You took the risk for others.. :biggrin

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I saw a matte rivera blue panel when I was at the factory....

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
To be transparent I believe riviera blue is an absolute beautiful color. If it wasn’t your car Dave I would have a hard time not copying it. Out of respect for you I wouldn’t select it for my car but I can see how others can. I’ve been researching colors ever since this journey began and I’m torn which way to go. If you could help I’d certainly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Bespoke stripes? Huh, didn't think of that.

I'm surprised (not sure why) that the skittles colors were snatched up so quickly, also the gulf base blue.

Option overload. Hopefully I'll get even more monumentally lucky and Ford will pick the scheme for me. :wink

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Out of courtesy, Riviera Blue is the one color that should have been off limits.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Would the colors currently offered on other Ford vehicles be considered as an ECP?

Thanks

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Would the colors currently offered on other Ford vehicles be considered as an ECP?

Thanks

Yes they are Simon. The Lightning Blue one I delivered is a Ford color and it was a ECP charge.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Crazy to think people straight up copied, it is flattery...but annoying. I'm calling it now, My little Pony Rainbow Dash is mine, I dare someone to copy! Oh the blessing of having daughters :biggrin At least they like going to the racetrack now!

For those that dont know...
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Rainbow_Dash

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I will be doing Riviera blue but with matte CF. It will look completely different.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Same thing happened to me DBK. I researched for 6 months for a color on my Cobra. Found one no one else had used. After I painted it, the factory gave it out to everyone else. Now when I go to car shows, a bunch show up with my color. Grrrrr. I wanted something different and now it's common.

This is why it's sometimes best to go last so no one can copy you.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Out of courtesy, Riviera Blue is the one color that should have been off limits.

I predict Riveria Blue will be the second most popular color for 2018. :rofl

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I looked at Lightning Blue and Grabber Blue... both Ford current model colors and used extensively on Trucks , cars , SUV;s etc.

As Kevin stated they are all considered EPC's regardless and carried the hefty $$price$ tag.
Even the Liquid colors , Liquid Blue in my case , carry an 'upcharge of $5000.00

andy (ajb)

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Even the Liquid colors , Liquid Blue in my case , carry an 'upcharge of $5000.00

andy (ajb)

Yeah, but that liquid blue is so amazing. Good choice (it has seven secret ingredients and you need to mix the hell out of it prior to application).

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Agonizing over color selection! Thrilled to have this decision! Hoping for a heritage, tough decision is made! Though true , car amazing in most any color, not confident enough to to choose one and not liking result. Ford spent allot of effort I believe in choosing standard optional colors and will probably choose one. Liquid colors are amazing! Can anyone explain what makes them so different and ability to change hues in different lighting? Has anyone done nitrous blue from the RS?

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Agonizing over color selection! Thrilled to have this decision! Hoping for a heritage, tough decision is made! Though true , car amazing in most any color, not confident enough to to choose one and not liking result. Ford spent allot of effort I believe in choosing standard optional colors and will probably choose one. Liquid colors are amazing! Can anyone explain what makes them so different and ability to change hues in different lighting? Has anyone done nitrous blue from the RS?

I think Nitrous Blue would be an amazing color on a GT. I was hoping someone would do it. It has so much pearl effect and metallic in it. Would look killer. And waiting for a bright red of some sort with no stripes!!

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Maybe Ford should consider limiting each ECP selection to a single car.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I’m a huge fan of blue cars, the brighter the better, and your (Porsche’s) shade is close to perfect. I also love Miami Blue (another Porsche color).

HOWEVER — I would never copy another person’s custom (ECP) color, at least not intentionally. If I stumbled on Riviera Blue and didn’t know anyone else had it yet I might have gone for it. Of course that’s impossible — I think your GT might be the most famous new GT out there. The concept of seeing your car, and knowing someone else researched and picked that shade, and then saying, “Yeah, me too!” is inconceivable, but that’s just me.

I have another shade of blue I love (which I shared with you) and I might still go for that. But like others I’m hoping to have Ford make the decision for me... :biggrin

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Same thing happened to me DBK. I researched for 6 months for a color on my Cobra. Found one no one else had used. After I painted it, the factory gave it out to everyone else. Now when I go to car shows, a bunch show up with my color. Grrrrr. I wanted something different and now it's common.

This is why it's sometimes best to go last so no one can copy you.

That would be frustrating.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
To me, it's not really a case of the research. Personal agonizing over color choice is "whatever." My thing is ECP isn't cheap. It was $30,000. The actual change in paint to do the samples and then do a basecoat/clearcoat single stage solid color paint job doesn't cost more than $500 over just doing the standard white. The premium is in the deviation from standard to do something more unique and associated hassle for the manufacturer. I can't imagine it's worth that level of upcharge for other people to get...the same exact thing some other guy has. And I would have definitely paid an excess to the charge to knock that paint code off the books, leaving literally dozens of other similar colors available...