Extended Color Palette

Extreem Exotics

GT Owner
Dec 13, 2013
Dallas Texas
1. Surprised more people haven't done ECP stripes. If you didn't know, this is an option. I don't think the car needs stripes, but if you're a stripe guy, you can open the door to a lot of very interesting combinations by going off the standard and doing custom color stripes. And it's very reasonable money to do it.

2. There are 1,300+ Axalta finishes in the catalog that should be available as a custom color. Personally, I enjoy seeing the car in a wide variety of different colors and finishes, primarily because it looks good in virtually all of them. I've got dozens of colors in my head I'd like to see the car in. I'm not gonna get into a whole big thing about it, but people have literally just sent in a pic of my car and been like "gimme that." I walked in the plant the other day and saw Riviera Blue GT number 3, and it appears there are more coming. To me, that is super weird. It's a really rare car with a virtually limitless array of color and trim combos, so I can't wrap my head around just ordering what some other guy ordered from the custom paint program. If you need help picking a color, I will help you. :lol

I thought custom colors were “One Off”

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nope. Not at this time.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Wasn't it the Model T that was available in any color you wanted.....as long as it was black.
My own '06 is midnight blue, still happy with that choice, but I sure do like the Moose color.

Lady Moose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 28, 2016
oooh boy,
Put the worms back in the can - now! :facepalm:

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
To me, it's not really a case of the research. Personal agonizing over color choice is "whatever." My thing is ECP isn't cheap. It was $30,000. The actual change in paint to do the samples and then do a basecoat/clearcoat single stage solid color paint job doesn't cost more than $500 over just doing the standard white. The premium is in the deviation from standard to do something more unique and associated hassle for the manufacturer. I can't imagine it's worth that level of upcharge for other people to get...the same exact thing some other guy has. And I would have definitely paid an excess to the charge to knock that paint code off the books, leaving literally dozens of other similar colors available...

It is my understanding that the cost associated with custom colors at least in production model vehicles that are going down the line is due to the fact that the lines have to be flushed to do the custom colors. This requires stopping the production to insert a different color into the sprayers not readily being used.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
These cars are hand sprayed, so it’s no more involved than cleaning out the cup gun.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
1. Surprised more people haven't done ECP stripes. If you didn't know, this is an option. I don't think the car needs stripes, but if you're a stripe guy, you can open the door to a lot of very interesting combinations by going off the standard and doing custom color stripes. And it's very reasonable money to do it.

2. There are 1,300+ Axalta finishes in the catalog that should be available as a custom color. Personally, I enjoy seeing the car in a wide variety of different colors and finishes, primarily because it looks good in virtually all of them. I've got dozens of colors in my head I'd like to see the car in. I'm not gonna get into a whole big thing about it, but people have literally just sent in a pic of my car and been like "gimme that." I walked in the plant the other day and saw Riviera Blue GT number 3, and it appears there are more coming. To me, that is super weird. It's a really rare car with a virtually limitless array of color and trim combos, so I can't wrap my head around just ordering what some other guy ordered from the custom paint program. If you need help picking a color, I will help you. :lol

I think what Dave was so eloquently trying to articulate was........

QUIT COPYING MY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I think what Dave was so eloquently trying to articulate was........

QUIT COPYING MY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

Yep....LMAO!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
To be honest I think Ford would have benefited from having a small fly in studio. Where they would have actually had samples of all the Axalta colors in a book or books

I've looked at the Axalta website and it's really hard to get a feel for the colors looking at them on the internet. Especially in the Gray and Silver tones..

Possibly they could have had about 40 or 50 samples of some exciting colors chosen by the design team or a designer painted on the GT plastic pieces like the ones in the owners kit.. I'm not talking about a big Studio,,, like basically a cubicle with all the books and the current owners kit just some basic tools to get a better idea of colors ..

As Dave mentions $30,000 for a paint job is expensive a substantial investment. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred dollars to fly in to make a more educated or choice or the exposed to more colors first hand where I had a better Comfort level of what I was getting.. I did go to an Axalta paint supplier to look at the books they had and the books were old,,

Last edited:

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
It's like a woman paying $30,000 for a custom dress and finds 3 others with the same dress at the event. The designer should not make the same dress as its no longer "custom designer".

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
L-R Riviera, Miami, Mexico. Show some imagination people. The color palette is almost infinite.

untitled-14006.jpg

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like Tim Burton (Shmee150) is following DBK's advice. His spec will be Liquid red with extended palette gold stripes and wheels. Tribute to UK's Alan Mann Racing GT40's from the 1960's.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks like Tim Burton (Shmee150) is following DBK's advice. His spec will be Liquid red with extended palette gold stripes and wheels. Tribute to UK's Alan Mann Racing GT40's from the 1960's.

Wheels? Are wheel finishes part of the ECP?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No. They can be purchased as a part. Not cheap.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida

Looks beautiful
7218a637511a4d3f59fba9caed013699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
I was under the impression that each ECP option would be a 1 of 1 as part of a "gentlemen's agreement."

Bummer that's not the case.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
L-R Riviera, Miami, Mexico. Show some imagination people. The color palette is almost infinite.

View attachment 50982

On the net the first two look the same...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ They look very different on my devices. The Miami blue is much more....Miami! More robin's egg. More pastel. And Mexico is darker than Riviera, maybe a touch of cobalt.

The point, however, is that with ECP, copycat seems completely unnecessary. Even if one says, dang!...he got my FAVORITE color, there are countless other "favorite" colors that are unique. Because there is no such thing as a single favorite color. And there is no "best" color either.

Any one of these three could be my "favorite" Porsche color on any given day.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I understand, the realty is some of these colors are real close in color, slightly different shades of Blue, Yellow and Orange would be difficult to detect unless side by side in the same light. There are going to be 750 or more GT's and at some point I'm sure having duplicate color cars or perceived as the same color from pictures is inevitable. They are all going to be rare .. Get what you like !!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I will be doing Riviera blue but with matte CF. It will look completely different.

:lol :lol :lol :lol