Helping with a 'History of the ford GT40 / GT Symposium'

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I have the privilege of assisting a group of experts with a Ford GT40 / GT Symposium on June 16th in Calgary. It will be hosted by Fred Philips (a well known local car collector) with keynote speaker John Sadler, three GT Forum members including myself plus other local enthusiasts. The Symposium will include the history of the GT 40 / GT at Lemans and the development of the past and modern cars. We will have several interesting cars including MK I, MK ll GT40's an 05 / 06 GT and bright green NFGT. We will also be driving these cars with passengers after the event.

Our goal is to educate and entertain 300 attendees while raising money for a local charity the 'Alberta Adolescent Recovery Center'.

It is my co-responsibility to help inform the group about the FGT and NFGT using a slide deck and interesting facts about these cars. As an 06 GT owner and passionate fan of these cars, I am reasonably knowledable on modern GT's but I would love to get a little more help. Anyone of us on this forum could rattle off infinite information and stories about our cars but we only have 25 mins to inform the attendees on the FGT and NFGT. My question is, what is the most interesting and ideal information to share? If you were talking about these cars, what would you share? Other than this forum, where is the best place to draw factual information about FGT's and NFGT's?

Thank you in advance for any input. I will share photos of the event after June 16th.

Dave.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Hadn't heard of this event, any chance of info or is it closed? Times, as it may conflict with watching LeMans?

First champagne spray at a motor event...Dan Gurney, 1967, winning LeMans in a GT40 mark IV.
The photo op that cost Ken Miles the victory to Bruce McLaren in '66.

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Hello Eric. The symposium is a relatively small event given that it takes place inside Fred's private car collection but I will be happy to send you an invitation this week. It should fill up quickly given the last two symposiums sold out quite fast.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Hadn't heard of this event, any chance of info or is it closed? Times, as it may conflict with watching LeMans?

First champagne spray at a motor event...Dan Gurney, 1967, winning LeMans in a GT40 mark IV.
The photo op that cost Ken Miles the victory to Bruce McLaren in '66.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Hey Dave.......I too would love to be involved in this charity but as you know I’ll be laid up for a while yet. Maybe next year?

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I think you have mixed me up with someone else. SR71 is John, I believe we met up at the Cardel fall show a couple of years back. I was with the midnight blue white stripe 06 GT.

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Thanks Rick. Not actually looking for any help with the charity, just advice on what info to share with the audience. I'm trying to put together the most interesting information about our GT's that the average person would necessarily know. Hope all is well.

Hey Dave.......I too would love to be involved in this charity but as you know I’ll be laid up for a while yet. Maybe next year?

Sorry, my mistake. PM me your email and I'll send an invitation your way. Hope you and your beautiful blue GT are well.

I think you have mixed me up with someone else. SR71 is John, I believe we met up at the Cardel fall show a couple of years back. I was with the midnight blue white stripe 06 GT.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
In destructive frame testing, the frame was so strong it broke the testing machine.

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
That's an excellent piece of info to share. Thank you.

In destructive frame testing, the frame was so strong it broke the testing machine.