Original owners, how many havenot had a/c issues?

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
And why do think you have not had any problems whereas others have. I understand you need to run the a/c frequently to keep everything oiled. Intersting other makes do not need as much attention to keep the a/c in working condition.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Schrader valves had some corrosion and leaked. New valves (cheap) and a recharge a few years ago, and it blows ice cold.

I'm not aware that GTs are more problematic than any other car. One recharge in 12 years seems pretty good to me.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would say that in my experience the GT is as good or better than any other car in AC reliability.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
48,000 hot Texas miles, no work done on A/C, original freon, and it will still freeze my balls off when cranked-up high

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Mine is working fine still.

I do exercise blower door routinely too.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
For 12 years my A/C has always worked fine. 22,000 miles.

Chip

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The most frequent response you're going to get as to what people do to keep their GT AC working is "nothing." It's not a problematic system.

Other people can't answer for you on whether you know you've gotten a good deal, if the cars have gotten too expensive, do you need a PPI, etc. After 3+ years of searching, many, many cars in excellent condition have come and gone while the price of entry has continued to rise (or at a minimum stayed flat-ish). The most outlandish repair costs on aged components on these cars is cheap relative to the market, so just find a car that fits your criteria and buy it.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
13 years on original Freeon in hot south Florida and I’ve never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Michigan was 94 degrees F yesterday. Had fun in the "OLD " FGT. First time I had to use AC this season.
Original owner, 12,000 miles ,
System worked fine.
Never any Maintenance performed on the AC.
andy (ajb)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
13 years only added freon once.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
When I researched the GT, I emailed a new owner about the a/c:

His response

“It’s colder than my ex-wife’s heart”

That’s mighty cold.

12 yrs icy; one autozone canister recharge in yr 12

15,000 miles in hot nights of NYC / Hollywood ;-)

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Just replaced a Compressor(seal leak) after 25,000 miles.Total cost, under $1,000. These things happen due to lack of use in the winter up north.

Joe

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The most outlandish repair costs on aged components on these cars is cheap relative to the market, so just find a car that fits your criteria and buy it.

To wit, just did a PPI on a really nice GT for a long time P-car collector. The conversation between he and I was quite interesting at times. Car he was looking at (and ended up buying) was a 1900 mile 2006. He asked what we would recommend doing to it in terms of maintenance. My reply was if not already done, minimally oil pump belt and all fluids. OK was his reply but how soon do you think it's going to need a "full service"? Uh..... well, that IS a full service, LOL. Compared to virtually any other car in the supercar category, maintenance costs are just silly inexpensive.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
My compressor has a small leak. Have heard of others having the same.

Have charged a couple times in 9+ years.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My compressor has a small leak. Have heard of others having the same.

Have charged a couple times in 9+ years.

Like most modern cars, factory AC fill contains a dye that illuminates with a black light. Had a car in the shop a couple of weeks ago and the leak was where the lines connect to the compressor. There's (2) ~25mm green o-rings there and we replaced them and evac'd and recharged the AC.... and no more small leak. O-rings are not unique to the GT and cost ~ $2.50 each from Ford.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Another Texas car here (16,000 miles) and a/c will freeze you out and have not ever had any problems with it

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
A/C....sounds to me like a "solution(s) looking for a problem".. as we can see from the comments above, this car is virtually bullet-proof and if something does go bad it is easy and relatively inexpensive to repair.

Many of us know the engineers that designed, developed and tested this 'masterpiece."!!

andy (ajb)

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
When I first got my GT, there was zero cold air. Only warm air would emit from the vents. I went to add Freon, but it was completely full. Then noticed the unit was unplugged. All has been well ever sense.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Only issue has been the temperature control knob setscrew loosened in the control unit in the console so turning it did nothing. Repaired once by my dealer, and a few years later I did it. 13 years, 100k miles, original charge. Icy.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Like most modern cars, factory AC fill contains a dye that illuminates with a black light. Had a car in the shop a couple of weeks ago and the leak was where the lines connect to the compressor. There's (2) ~25mm green o-rings there and we replaced them and evac'd and recharged the AC.... and no more small leak. O-rings are not unique to the GT and cost ~ $2.50 each from Ford.

Don't even need a light to see it, mine is usually on the diaper and the wiring harness.
Mine is coming from the seam of the 2 halves of the housing. The bolts were loose the first time I discovered it. Tightened them, but the horse was out of the barn by then.

I think someone on here was looking for a replacement for that O-ring, but don't remember ever seeing a solution.