Original owners, how many havenot had a/c issues?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Uhhh, what is "AC fluid"? Does it need to be changed regularly too? :lol

Your question is sort of true. If your AC fluid is low and not cooling well, it needs to be completely removed via a vacuum and special equipment and then it needs to be replaced by total weight, not pressure. You can only know how much your fluid weighs by first removing it all and then replacing the correct amount by weight. It is not like the old Freon systems where you recharge your system based on pressure. If you just add fluid when it is low using a bottle from Autozone, etc, and not knowing how much fluid weight is needed, you are taking a big chance of damaging your system. Modern AC system fluid needs to be weighed, not pressure checked.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GT holds 16 oz of ac fluid.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Your question is sort of true. If your AC fluid is low and not cooling well, it needs to be completely removed via a vacuum and special equipment and then it needs to be replaced by total weight, not pressure. You can only know how much your fluid weighs by first removing it all and then replacing the correct amount by weight. It is not like the old Freon systems where you recharge your system based on pressure. If you just add fluid when it is low using a bottle from Autozone, etc, and not knowing how much fluid weight is needed, you are taking a big chance of damaging your system. Modern AC system fluid needs to be weighed, not pressure checked.

GT holds 16 oz of ac fluid.

The guy is talking about compressor OIL, not refrigerant.

Now that is the first time I have heard refrigerant called "ac fluid." Although, gases are fluids in physics, so you're technically off the hook. :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If your AC fluid is low and not cooling well, it needs to be completely removed via a vacuum and special equipment and then it needs to be replaced by total weight, not pressure. You can only know how much your fluid weighs by first removing it all and then replacing the correct amount by weight. It is not like the old Freon systems where you recharge your system based on pressure. If you just add fluid when it is low using a bottle from Autozone, etc, and not knowing how much fluid weight is needed, you are taking a big chance of damaging your system. Modern AC system fluid needs to be weighed, not pressure checked.

This is NOT true. While total weight may yield a more accurate total charge (as it always has) there is nothing inherently different because of the R134 replacement of R12. Charging by pressure is a very common and reasonable method for charging R134 systems. I can only imagine that an over zealous AC repair shop has advised you any differently... but that doesn't make it true. :)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
This is NOT true. While total weight may yield a more accurate total charge (as it always has) there is nothing inherently different because of the R134 replacement of R12. Charging by pressure is a very common and reasonable method for charging R134 systems. I can only imagine that an over zealous AC repair shop has advised you any differently... but that doesn't make it true. :)

The Ford repair manual says to fill by weight and is what is labeled under the hood. Do what you want, but I guess you know more than the designer.

Also the overzealous mechanic is a Master mechanic and changed my fluid for free.

Last edited:

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Listen to nota4re. I charged mine a few years ago, been fine ever since. Bought a Freon kit at Walmart, with pressure gauge. Around $30.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Listen to nota4re. I charged mine a few years ago, been fine ever since. Bought a Freon kit at Walmart, with pressure gauge. Around $30.

Yup, you can do anything even if it is wrong and get away with it for awhile. Myself, I don't like large repair costs due to not following the manufacturers recommendations. Obviously you've been lucky so far putting a $30 bottle of R134 in your $350,000 car. I'm sure your $30 bottle also got the water out of your system to prevent future problems. Cutting corners is not the smart thing to do in my book unless of course you are destitute and can't afford to do the correct maintenance. Penny wise and a pound foolish.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Ford repair manual says to fill by weight and is what is labeled under the hood. Do what you want, but I guess you know more than the designer.

No different than any other car including R12-based cars. If the system is evacuated for work on the components, this is how much should be added. However, it does not mean that adding refrigerant must be preceded by first evacuating the system and starting from zero. Hope that helps.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yup, you can do anything even if it is wrong and get away with it for awhile. Myself, I don't like large repair costs due to not following the manufacturers recommendations. Obviously you've been lucky so far putting a $30 bottle of R134 in your $350,000 car. I'm sure your $30 bottle also got the water out of your system to prevent future problems. Cutting corners is not the smart thing to do in my book unless of course you are destitute and can't afford to do the correct maintenance. Penny wise and a pound foolish.
Jeez, I didn't think a little joking would get this "heated"!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Kendall. Ie nota4re knows it. Vintage Air built AC on FGT

Done same on two c2’s

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Jeez, I didn't think a little joking would get this "heated"!

Sorry if I stated it too strongly, but just trying to point out you can do something wrong and get away with it for awhile and then it will break. Another example is wrong wheel offsets so tires stick outside wheel well and put extra stress on wheel bearings. You can still drive on them, but they'll fail prematurely. Another example is underinflated tires, you can still drive on them, but they will fail prematurely, etc., etc.

One thing I've been warned about if using the pressure recharge bottles is not to use the one with the stop leak in it as the stop leak will gum up your system making any future repairs much more expensive. Also make sure you know the outside air temperature so you don't overcharge the system. Using the weight method compensates for any differences in air temperature and is why, I believe, Kendall (nota4re) said it is more accurate.

This discussion may explain it better than I can. http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=28834

Last edited:

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
My Florida car has not had problems. Still blows as cold as the day I got it in Dec 05.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Also make sure you know the outside air temperature so you don't overcharge the system. Using the weight method compensates for any differences in air temperature and is why, I believe, Kendall (nota4re) said it is more accurate.

AWSUM - it is a very good point about overcharging an AC system. It is too easy to do and you will lose performance. Conceptually it seems like if a little refrigerant is good, then more must be better. That adage isn't true here. So, while I contend that a lot of people with less than ideal AC performance can benefit from simply adding some charge - it must be done with some care so that the system is not overcharged.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My Florida car has not had problems. Still blows as cold as the day I got it in Dec 05.

Same here. Like an ice box. 13k miles.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Mine seemed to work fine both days it was needed last year in Calgary.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
The white knob lights are not working well, but the system on my car blows cold air like a champ...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The white knob lights are not working well, but the system on my car blows cold air like a champ...

If something had to be an issue, that scenario seems the best one

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Yep, for sure! Not the end of the world, but haven't been able to fix it, even after lots of exploring and investigating