Original owners, how many havenot had a/c issues?

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
one recharge a few months ago for me in 8 years...

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
One recharge last summer since new. Compared to most exotic cars, that is a miracle.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Mine needed a recharge after 40k and 12 years!
Built FORD TOUGH!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Schrader valves had some corrosion and leaked. New valves (cheap) and a recharge a few years ago, and it blows ice cold.

I'm not aware that GTs are more problematic than any other car. One recharge in 12 years seems pretty good to me.

What he said. Had a leaky Schrader valve. Tightened it, recharged system. No further problems. It was hi 90's here in DFW today. Drove the '05 to work and some errands. The AC will freeze you if on high.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Coming up on 60Kmi, no freon in the 4+ years and 35Kmi I've owned it. It's cold enough that I turn the blower way down after the car interior has cooled off. I live in Virginia where it gets hot and humid in the summer.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Freon refill after 12 years. Nice and cold.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I had to have an o ring changed up front somewhere. This was done under warranty, so a long time ago at this point, so that why I cant remember exactly Where it was. VERY minor, and its never been recharged since, and worked during our rally in Texas a couple years ago, when it was crazy hot.

We now have over 12 years of track record of these cars, and they VERY durable, and provide years of near zero cost of ownership.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
No issues.
Run it every time for a while, needed or not.
Best,
Mark

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Both GT’s 12+ years without any A/C problems and I hope this thread doesn’t jinx any of us [emoji12]

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Mine had an issue when I first bought it, I think it just needed topping up then. A couple of years ago it went out driving from Sacramento to Monterey in 105 weather. Kind of broiled Gabrielle! I had a major service done then, and all was made right, although I didn’t learn what the specific issue was.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
mmm I'm about to take mine in to replace the ac compressor but now I'm wondering if it's actually something minor and I'm getting screwed :/ .....but at the same time there was ac fluid on the belly pan

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Uhhh, what is "AC fluid"? Does it need to be changed regularly too? :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It may or may not need an entire compressor. It could be as simple as the seals (two green o-rings) where the lines attach at the compressor.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Uhhh, what is "AC fluid"? Does it need to be changed regularly too? :lol

Eh, same type of thing as what a lot of people here call transaxle fluid. It's all oil.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Original owner, no ac issues, no freon added yet.

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
In nearly 11 years of owning my GT only about a year ago did it need to have freon added. Considering I have driven the GT on many hot summer day's and have used the AC a lot it has not given me any issues. For an exotic super car this car has been amazing in reliability especially compared to other foreign exotics.

Even when I drove the GT up from Malibu to Monterey last summer for Monterey car week she blew cold air with no complaints. It was very hot on the drive up at times.

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It always amazed me how minimal the maintenance costs have been so far. This year got a bit more pricey.

AC had a leak for the first time, O-Rings on the receiver dryer (cheap)
Two new rear shocks
New Bridgstone tires
New rear axle.

Car is a 2005 with 11,000 miles

$5K service.

Why did you need new rear shocks and a new rear axle after only 11K miles?

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
The leak in the AC compressor due to dried rubber rings is a real problem for those cars that sit a lot. I actually drive mine (over 20,000 miles) and still it leaked while under warranty. I got it replaced with 1 week left on the warranty, no issues in the years since, but I try to drive it at least once a week.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Why did you need new rear shocks and a new rear axle after only 11K miles?

I wondered that myself.

The axle was flinging grease out of the seal (?) and the shocks were leaking. Apparently both not re-buildable.

Was at a reliable Ford Dealer I trust. They said they were seeing more of this. Our GT's are getting older?