Removing Passenger Cat to weld and re-install questions about it

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Last year I was driving and heard a Pop, then noticed my exhaust note dropped a few decibels. I immediately brought to my office and parked it. Looked in the engine bay and noticed the Pass Catalytic Converter cracked perfectly along the front seam where it reduces into the header.

I want to remove it myself and take it to a buddy who has successfully welded them in the past on various other cars.

Has anyone here replaced or removed theirs? I removed the rear clamshell, but not sure if I have to access the bolts from the underside. I have an X pipe Rich Brooks installed and I'm hoping the entire unit can be removed without lifting the car and removing the bottom pans.

I searched the forum and everywhere else I thought I could find answers to no avail.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Sorry in advance this should have been posted in the Tech section. DBK feel free to move it if needed.

Mike

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I don't how you could do it from the top only. I removed mine from underneath.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
it could be done I believe from the top if you absolutely had to, but that being said get it on a lift and save yourself a lot of pain and suffering.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's not a difficult job at all - but it needs to be done from the bottom. Removing pans is not a big deal. Top of head steps/notes:

1. Disconnect the ground at the battery. Otherwise you risk shorting battery as CAT is very close to (+) starter cable.
2. Remove pans
3. Remove O2 sensors (Apply anti-seize before re-installing)
4. Use 1/2" ratchet w/ short-well 15mm socket from above car to loosen and remove top nut at exhaust manifold
5. Use 1/2" ratchet w/ swivel and long extension from under car to loosen and remove bottom nut at manifold (very easy to access)
6. Remove bolts attaching cat to exhaust. (You may elect to spray each of these with a little WD40 as soon as you have the pans off.)
7. Unfortunately, I think you will likely have to temporarily disconnect half-shaft from transaxle. (Good chance to see if there's any weeping inside coupling) With the exhaust off and the black screen off the rear, you can rotate the cat up and out with the half-shaft still in place.... but if memory serves, you won't be so lucky if these components are in place.

Re-assembly obviously reverse of above steps. May consider new hardware for attachment to exhaust. Tighten ball-seal at exhaust manifold evenly. (Number of threads showing at top and bottom should be about even when done tightening.)

If there is any evidence of fluid in the half-shaft coupler, use TSB procedure to re-seal.

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Now that's what I call "insight"!

You have to love that about this Forum.

When someone asks for help, they get HELP!

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
It's not a difficult job at all - but it needs to be done from the bottom. Removing pans is not a big deal. Top of head steps/notes:

1. Disconnect the ground at the battery. Otherwise you risk shorting battery as CAT is very close to (+) starter cable.
2. Remove pans
3. Remove O2 sensors (Apply anti-seize before re-installing)
4. Use 1/2" ratchet w/ short-well 15mm socket from above car to loosen and remove top nut at exhaust manifold
5. Use 1/2" ratchet w/ swivel and long extension from under car to loosen and remove bottom nut at manifold (very easy to access)
6. Remove bolts attaching cat to exhaust. (You may elect to spray each of these with a little WD40 as soon as you have the pans off.)
7. Unfortunately, I think you will likely have to temporarily disconnect half-shaft from transaxle. (Good chance to see if there's any weeping inside coupling) With the exhaust off and the black screen off the rear, you can rotate the cat up and out with the half-shaft still in place.... but if memory serves, you won't be so lucky if these components are in place.

Re-assembly obviously reverse of above steps. May consider new hardware for attachment to exhaust. Tighten ball-seal at exhaust manifold evenly. (Number of threads showing at top and bottom should be about even when done tightening.)

If there is any evidence of fluid in the half-shaft coupler, use TSB procedure to re-seal.

Thank you so much!!! I can hopefully knock this out next weekend.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Now that's what I call "insight"!

You have to love that about this Forum.

When someone asks for help, they get HELP!

I couldn't agree more. :)