Clutch & Flywheel Replacement

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me who changed out your clutch/flywheel....and did replace with OEM or aftermarket kit?
Many Thanks,

Pat
Had Rich do it whilst he was fitting the cold air kit and retro exhaust. I used all stock parts, have heard too many bad things about the grabbiness of aftermarket performance clutches. My car is now 682 RWHP and ten thousand miles on, the stock clutch is holding up fine.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the stock clutch is generally good to about 800-850 hp anything more you need a stillen and anything above 1100 youll need a spec. \
there is no real difference in the feel of the stillen vs stock clutch and there is very little chatter when using the spec clutch that is rated to 1500hp. and yes I have had all of them on my cars.

Reactions: PILOTJPW1 and GTMD

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
the stock clutch is generally good to about 800-850 hp anything more you need a stillen and anything above 1100 youll need a spec. \
there is no real difference in the feel of the stillen vs stock clutch and there is very little chatter when using the spec clutch that is rated to 1500hp. and yes I have had all of them on my cars.

Soroush, do you have a part number for the Spec Clutch or recommend anything different? Getting ready to put twins on my car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Look at the options here. Historically we have used the ST-Trim and they have worked very well put you will have a VERY heavy clutch pedal. I would probably recommend the P-Trim unless you plan to do a lot of mile or drag racing events.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush, do you have a part number for the Spec Clutch or recommend anything different? Getting ready to put twins on my car.
I do not have part numbers but you will do well to listen to nota4re. he has been around for a long time and has done many clutches for our members... if you are doing it yourself you could just contact stillen or just do a search here Im sure it would be easy to find.. I have not had to change clutch in a long time on a GT; Im currently working on my fox body cobra so if you want any part numbers for a fox body I can tell you those :) remember the numbers you are shooting for anything over 1100 go with spec i think its their stage 4 clutch.. under 1100hp stillen is the best option imo

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I want to add for clutch-shoppers that find this thread in the future, how incredibly happy I am with the Spec SS trim on my 620 whp pulley/tune car. While I never felt the stock clutch slip under WOT once fully engaged, I always felt that during aggressive acceleration, it lacked a solid "bite" and would briefly slip too much upon initial engagement after each shift. And I'd smell the disc after a spirited drive. So hard for me to imagine using a stock clutch for even higher hp/torque than this.

When my trans had to come out for an unrelated issue, I could have just left the stock clutch alone, but I decided I wanted a mild upgrade in hopes of holding the power better, but without a grabby or heavy-pedal clutch. I cannot overstate how perfectly the Spec SS trim fit the bill. The pedal pressure is stock-like, as is the super smooth and easy engagement. But under hard acceleration it engages with a much greater immediacy and sureness than the stock clutch, that to me feels like the perfect match for the car's power and torque.

I give this clutch the highest possible recommendation for any pulley/tune power-level street car that needs a new clutch.

Reactions: GTMD

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
"Beez" - Excellent. Thanks much for the report (including all comments on this thread). I will remember this down the road.
I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge from this Forum, especially from "nota4re", Kendall.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Step by step, sure fired way to get a new clutch....

1. Take a 2006 Heritage with less than 100 miles on it.
2. Inadvertently place car in 3rd gear instead of 1st
3. Shout out to friends, "watch this!"
4. Rev motor
5. Dump clutch

Result:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
6. Bring GT to Cool Tech for fluid change and maintenance
7. At last minute, ask Cool Tech to "adjust/bleed clutch as it doesn't feel right"

Admittedly, this was a real head-scratcher for us. Pristine car, less than 100 miles. We couldn't get clutch to fully disengage. (Of course owner forgot to tell us scenario above.) We bled the clutch like hell, devised test for master cylinder... which passed. More head scratching and then decision to pull transaxle believing we would find bad slave or catastrophic clutch failure.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
seems like with that much carnage you could hear something.... but ya I had chunks come off the plate before..

Tomcat

GT Owner
how incredibly happy I am with the Spec SS trim on my 620 whp pulley/tune car.
Is this THE clutch:
https://www.specclutches.com/704857/

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Shout out to friends, "watch this!"

Famous last words.

Only part of statement missing is "hold my beer".

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver

Tom, yes that is indeed the one I got and am highly recommending.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Step by step, sure fired way to get a new clutch....

1. Take a 2006 Heritage with less than 100 miles on it.
2. Inadvertently place car in 3rd gear instead of 1st
3. Shout out to friends, "watch this!"
4. Rev motor
5. Dump clutch

Kind of surprising that a Heritage with that kind of mileage would be used for attempted burnouts. Maybe the owner thought the smoke being generated was coming from the tires when it was actually the clutch.