Gauges quit.

andyjb

May 11, 2018
I am having a problem with the gauges , oil pressure is varying beyond normal, water temp not working, boost gauge not working either. I changed out water temp sender, but no difference,I added a ground from the engine to the frame, no difference, all fuses look good. Any suggestions on my next move.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
we've had gauges work erratically or quit and then work. the first thing we go after is the ground cable on the battery. not so much the battery end but the end that bolts to the cross frame in front. that connection is a nutsert in the aluminum frame. can cause havoc on the system since the electrical makes circuit by continuing the ground, not the positive. take the cable off and file or clean the frame and cable end plus clean the battery end of the negative cable as well and see if it makes any difference. jmo

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
If above doesnt work; get a new battery for $229 from Ford, esp if over 5yrs old.

Trying to stretch a few more bucks out of old battery vs. voltage sensitive $500 gauges is penny smart, pound foolish.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I am having a problem with the gauges , oil pressure is varying beyond normal, water temp not working, boost gauge not working either. I changed out water temp sender, but no difference,I added a ground from the engine to the frame, no difference, all fuses look good. Any suggestions on my next move.

One or more gauges may not work for a particular drive sequence if they did not initialize correctly. All GT owners should be in the habit of turning the key to on and then waiting for the odometer display to come up and then pressing the start button.

If you have had multiple start sequences and the same gauge(s) are not working, then you need to replace the gauge. Gauge failures appear in one of two ways. When they start to fail, a lot of times they will get sticky before failing all together.

Regarding your oil pressure gauge: If it is acting "sticky" and kind of tries to jump up with RPMs and/or takes steps coming down from higher RPMs, then the gauge is in early stage of failure. If however the gauge operates relatively smoothly but just seems to be all over the place, then the gauge itself is fine and you should replace the sending unit - which is relatively inexpensive.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Exactly!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
If above doesnt work; get a new battery for $229 from Ford, esp if over 5yrs old.

Trying to stretch a few more bucks out of old battery vs. voltage sensitive $500 gauges is penny smart, pound foolish.
Sorry!
What he said!
Best,
Mark

andyjb

May 11, 2018
Not the most expensive, more closer to the modernist. I keep the cars plugged in so usually the batteries are up.I went thru the ground system yesterday and even added a new cable from the frame, no difference what so ever,I think I will add another wire from the nutsert to the frame while i`m wait on a battery to arrive just to ensure myself of the ground.

andyjb

May 11, 2018
This sounds more on the path of the issue, the water temp is stuck at the bottom, the boost gauge is stuck in the vacuum side and the oil pressure gauge acts like a clock ,real jerky not smooth at all,you can hold a steady RPM and the gauge will move 20 lbs in jerking moves, just hard to think that with 2000 miles you have gauge failure, but here again not getting used is as bad as abused.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Welcome. What do you have? Where are you at?

andyjb

May 11, 2018
Well ,thanks, but I`ve done it all put another ground on over to the frame, installed a new battery, but still nothing,oil pressure still bouncing all around, was hoping this fix would help that, time now to look at replacing a gauge.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If you are staying with OEM gauges, buy the new improved units directly from Autometer.

Might want to replace all 5 at once. If you have as much fun getting the gauge panel out as I did, you won't want to do that again anytime soon.

😬

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Add to 2112: I f you have multiple actual gauge failures, consider switching to the Speedhut gauge set for the GT.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Also, Andy, you're still listed as a spectator. Ask Dave Bannister, aka DBK, to change you to GT Owner

andyjb

May 11, 2018
Thanks Pete, but I don`t own it, I just maintain it, and I appreciate all the input from everyone, as each of these cars all have the special handshake or ritual that make them work

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Speedhut gauges

Ed

andyjb

May 11, 2018
I`ve ordered the gauges from Speedhut , be a few weeks before I get them, so now push that one aside and work on another one