Air bag canisters replaced today

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Several threads already, one more for your quick reference on the whole kit and caboodle.
Today, canisters on 2 GTs were replaced via a house call by the local dealer, two (2) techs came over. Few notes and pictures:
Battery does not have to be disconnected.
No way you can remove the passenger side canister without removing the lower dash panel and the supporting bracket behind it.
Passenger side canister factory yellow wires must be cut to remove it once the whole assembly is removed from the car, new canister is smaller in diameter so black caps on each side of the canister are installed as a "shimmy" and a bracket on top is screwed in for support. New canister wires connects and disconnects without cutting (new design).
Recals and ford Program:
Ford Recall: 15S21 Driver side air bag inflator.
Ford Recall 16S26 Passenger side air bag inflator.
Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 regarding F-GT airbag inflators replacement at owner's home.

Prep work:

Prep Work Driver.jpg

Passenger prep work.jpg

Driver side removal and canister (yellow tag is old, white tag is new):

Driver removal.jpg

Old - Driver removed.jpg

Driver new.jpg

Passenger side and canister (dark gray is old, silver canister is new)

Passenger canister removed.jpg

Old canister solo cable cut.jpg

New canister parts.jpg

New canister installed w caps.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So did you have an on-site service? The early program said they would go to the customer site but then it disappeared from later recalls.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
So did you have an on-site service? The early program said they would go to the customer site but then it disappeared from later recalls.

Also, can you share who did the work. I’m in SoCal and need mine done too. Thx

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
So I called Ford Customer Service on Tuesday, and spoke with someone that looked up the on-site service program, and said my VIN was not on the list for that, and I'd have to take it to a dealer for replacement. I then asked if they could check their data, and tell me which of the 5 area dealers had done the most replacements on Ford GT's. She told me that she had no way of checking this, and I should call all 5 dealerships. I told her that sounded ridiculous, that they were unable to check and see which dealer ship had done this recall. Again she reiterated there was no way they could provide this information, and I'd just have to call. So, I ask, here in the NY/Westchester/CT. area, has anyone had their car tended to by a dealer, which dealer, and were you pleased with the care and work?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
If you find one please pass that on.
Couple of us need it done.
Thnx

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Mine were replaced yesterday on both GT's.

Didn't see any blue tape (yikes) but didn't appear to see any scratches either.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
So I called Ford Customer Service on Tuesday, and spoke with someone that looked up the on-site service program, and said my VIN was not on the list for that, and I'd have to take it to a dealer for replacement. I then asked if they could check their data, and tell me which of the 5 area dealers had done the most replacements on Ford GT's. She told me that she had no way of checking this, and I should call all 5 dealerships. I told her that sounded ridiculous, that they were unable to check and see which dealer ship had done this recall. Again she reiterated there was no way they could provide this information, and I'd just have to call. So, I ask, here in the NY/Westchester/CT. area, has anyone had their car tended to by a dealer, which dealer, and were you pleased with the care and work?

The passenger airbag is not yet available in our NY region. I have been waiting months after getting that letter that said parts are available.

They are giving the parts out by region. The most humid areas first. I saw the map chart at my dealer last week when I asked again why it is taking so long.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Great post, and nice that you included the detailed photos. Thanks!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
The passenger airbag is not yet available in our NY region. I have been waiting months after getting that letter that said parts are available.

They are giving the parts out by region. The most humid areas first. I saw the map chart at my dealer last week when I asked again why it is taking so long.
I want to get them both done at the same time, we've received letters stating that they're both available. They need to get their house in order!!!!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

Yes, house call. 2 techs came to my house, all work was completed in about 2 hours on 2 GTs. One Tech was an electrical/electronics type tech who handled the canisters replacements and the other tech handled the removal/install of the assembled units. I was very pleased.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

PM sent :cheers

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Both my bags were done at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine. Brett Steuckrath was the service advisor on my most recent visit for the passenger bag. I did the driver side bag quite some time ago.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Great information! Thank you for sharing. Although I'd like to get them done at my house, it would give me a chance to drive the car again by taking it to the dealership :)

spineracer

GT Owner
Jan 5, 2014
Metro NY
As for Metro NY Air Bag replacement. Tower Ford in Great Neck has replaced many drivers side Bags.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
RPM,

Pleasantville FORD (914-769-1800) did all my work from axle-bolts to major 3yr service.
Frank Procaro was the Srvc Mgr at the time and they had SVT/ GT - ASC Master Techs

For SoCal look no further than Galpin in Valley; 25 Yards from exit.
Each time they have six GTs and 10 Mustang Shelby’s being serviced or modded.
Quicklane on Sat 7am with appointment and your done.

Place has like 100 bays; largest volume Ford dealer on planet.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Thanks Kayvan, I'll look into it. I was there a couple of years back for a car show.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Both my bags were done at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine. Brett Steuckrath was the service advisor on my most recent visit for the passenger bag. I did the driver side bag quite some time ago.

Thanks syco, Kayvan, and jr. Much appreciated

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
RPM,

Pleasantville FORD (914-769-1800) did all my work from axle-bolts to major 3yr service.
Frank Procaro was the Srvc Mgr at the time and they had SVT/ GT - ASC Master Techs

For SoCal look no further than Galpin in Valley; 25 Yards from exit.
Each time they have six GTs and 10 Mustang Shelby’s being serviced or modded.
Quicklane on Sat 7am with appointment and your done.

Place has like 100 bays; largest volume Ford dealer on planet.
Frank is no longer there, but they claim to have the same GT Master Techs on staff. I can wait, but not observe. They've ordered the parts, said it takes about a week, they order by VIN#.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast

Awesome!
And it sounds like we can also put Tower Ford on the list for this area.