Air bag canisters replaced today

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Several threads already, one more for your quick reference on the whole kit and caboodle.
Today, canisters on 2 GTs were replaced via a house call by the local dealer, two (2) techs came over. Few notes and pictures:
Battery does not have to be disconnected.
No way you can remove the passenger side canister without removing the lower dash panel and the supporting bracket behind it.
Passenger side canister factory yellow wires must be cut to remove it once the whole assembly is removed from the car, new canister is smaller in diameter so black caps on each side of the canister are installed as a "shimmy" and a bracket on top is screwed in for support. New canister wires connects and disconnects without cutting (new design).
Recals and ford Program:
Ford Recall: 15S21 Driver side air bag inflator.
Ford Recall 16S26 Passenger side air bag inflator.
Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 regarding F-GT airbag inflators replacement at owner's home

Junior, did you arrange the at-home visit through a Ford customer service number or through the local dealership?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Local dealership, called a couple and both were willing to honor the Ford house call program, went with the closer one to home.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
According to Ford, if your VIN isn't on the house call program, no can do! :(

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
PM please Junior

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
10-4 George.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
According to Ford, if your VIN isn't on the house call program, no can do! :(

Oh gees- Sorry you're having trouble. Local Ford dealer didn't ask for my VIN while confirming schedule for 2 GTs, I provided Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 and I was good to go! They did inquire about the VIN to order the parts however. In any case, the work is fairly straight forward, it does take a little care and patience removing/storing the lower dash panel and the metal supporting bracket on the passenger side, maybe you can observe the work at the dealership? Good Luck! :cheers

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Oh gees- Sorry you're having trouble. Local Ford dealer didn't ask for my VIN while confirming schedule for 2 GTs, I provided Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 and I was good to go! They did inquire about the VIN to order the parts however. In any case, the work is fairly straight forward, it does take a little care and patience removing/storing the lower dash panel and the metal supporting bracket on the passenger side, maybe you can observe the work at the dealership? Good Luck! :cheers

They said they'd do it while I wait, but that insurance won't allow me in the work area

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I would suggest to speak with the tech prior to performing the work particularly if it's his first time doing it, make sure he understands how "fragile" the center area of the lower dash is (area above the radio), and that 2 people are required to remove it (one left side and one right side), also the passenger side supporting panel requires care when removed so it doesn't scratch/nick anything on the way out, other then that you're GTG! (I hope)

Show him this picture below as it takes extra care removing the passenger side supporting panel between the lower dash and the airbag canister assembly, (you got a 3 metal "pins/clips" connected against what looks like a cardboard box type material, needs 2 hands, one to hold the card board material while the other hand disconnects the holding "pins/clips" (pull the metal bracket in that clip area away and toward the front of the car):

metal bracket.jpg

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Just had my passenger side airbag replace at my local dealer. Completed the work outside in the covered entry to the Service area with me with the car the entire time.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I finally got around to having my passenger side air bag replaced. Had delayed quite some time thinking I might not do it.

Local dealer sent their very best tech out to the house and he was outstanding. He had done some work on other cars for me so I knew he was more than capable.

However, the instructions he received from Ford were a bit less than truly complete and this board and previous posts were quite helpful.

We also both laughed when he told me (upon request and insistence) the work paid 1/2 hour. Not a great deal given the level of effort required and risk undertaken.

All that being said, another great experience, the manufacturer, dealership, and tech all came through.

gtdave16

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 13, 2013
You're lucky, my dealer cannot get the part.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Are these replacements any different? My understanding is that they will be at risk in the future as well?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Are these replacements any different? My understanding is that they will be at risk in the future as well?

No, the new supplier of the (passenger side) inflator is different and the ‘fix’ is supposed to be permanent.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
RPM,

Pleasantville FORD (914-769-1800) did all my work from axle-bolts to major 3yr service.
Frank Procaro was the Srvc Mgr at the time and they had SVT/ GT - ASC Master Techs

For SoCal look no further than Galpin in Valley; 25 Yards from exit.
Each time they have six GTs and 10 Mustang Shelby’s being serviced or modded.
Quicklane on Sat 7am with appointment and your done.

Place has like 100 bays; largest volume Ford dealer on planet.
Went today to have them both replaced. Not good. They replaced the driver side, and the plastic cap on the right side of the steering wheel "popped off, and fell somewhere", they know not where. They've ordered a replacement. On the passenger side, they refused to drop the panel, until the guy that did the radar detector/laser jammers, comes and takes it down, as they won't be responsible for non Ford wiring. So now, I've got to coordinate my radar guy, with their service department, and bring it back!!! I'm not a happy camper!!!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Sorry for your trouble. Which panel, lower dash panel or the supporting metal panel under the lower dash panel? Absurd logic since neither have anything to do with wiring. You can remove the lower dash panel yourself, fairly easy but it does take patience and 2 people to fight gravity once one side is disconnected.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Thanks Cobrar! So only the driver side is suspect in the future?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Cobrar! So only the driver side is suspect in the future?

The current set of recalls are both final fixes. (Of course, that's the intent.)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Got mine done Friday at Koons Ford in Sterling Virginia. Eric is the tech who is trained on GTs, and he was done in 45 minutes.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
GT Joey and I went to Lucas Ford in Southold NY Friday to have our air bags replaced. Joey had previously walked the tech through the replacement procedure on his second GT and the work was performed while we watched. Dealer principal Howie Lucas is a fellow GT owner. The bonus was an opportunity for an early morning drive through the beautiful north fork of Long Island.

Attachments

• Southold Ford Airbag replacement 1.jpg
    Southold Ford Airbag replacement 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 195
  • Southold Ford airbag replacement 2.jpg
    Southold Ford airbag replacement 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Passenger side airbag replacement.jpg
    Passenger side airbag replacement.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Local dealer came to my house Saturday and replaced both the 05 and 06 GT passenger air bags along with my 06 Mustang GT. Was completed and headed home in 2 hours. Last I will hear about them (I hope).