991.2 GT3 RS

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
[video=youtube;65jW-FVAd2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jW-FVAd2o[/video]

Kévin Estre was the driver. 6:56. Blazing fast and driven with balls of steel.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
wow ,, the steel is awfully close to the road edges.. I am fine with just watching !
andy (ajb)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Marvel. Imagine access to Nürburgring on a day where there is no traffic and the entire width of the 14+ miles of track is actually dry, not just the ‘line’! Must be one of those rare five days there!

Interesting to see the weakness in the chassis, e.g. car could use a Magnaride type shock system. Watching him at the apex/curbing very tender inputs. Gearing is also interesting, 6th is an overdrive in a performance car, really should have been brought down a cog or two in final drive. Other than that pretty cool run.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
That is amazing. Tires have sure come a long way.
It is interesting the GM folks are out there now at the same time as Porsche with the ZR1 and so far independent timers are showing they are over 15 seconds slower. Many were predicting they would be faster than the Porsche. If they do post a faster time, I would be highly suspicious at this point.

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/pors...corvette-zr1-disappoints-with-way-over-7mins/

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
GT3RS

This is going to be my consolation prize for not getting an allocation. Will arrive in November.
Still hoping for one of the 250 allocations left.

Attachments

• GT3RS.jpg
    GT3RS.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 393

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There are so many variables with that course that it’s nearly impossible to make any meaningful comparisons between times that are within 15 seconds of each other. Nevertheless, a blazing fast run is a blazing fast run.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I couldn't tell, is he paddle shifting or is it totally auto?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I couldn't tell, is he paddle shifting or is it totally auto?

He is almost certainly using paddles. There are multiple downshifts mid turn anticipating his exit. The PDK works really well in auto mode, but can't anticipate that far in advance. Looking at it further, he is holding it on the rev limiter, where in auto mode it would shift, and then he is short shifting at some points. I am certain this is manual mode.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Porsche‘s PDK is really amazing in auto mode. You‘ll need to experience yourself to believe it. For 99.5% of all manual lovers it will simply outsmart them. The remaining .5% are highend racing drivers driving the whole day long.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I’ll never forget doing one lap in the GT back in 2016, heavy rain, insane drivers in Fiats and vans, and BAT wiggling around ahead of me. After one lap we convened for a coffee, DBK said, “ who wants to go back out?” And all of us said, “no frigging way”!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Porsche‘s PDK is really amazing in auto mode. You‘ll need to experience yourself to believe it. For 99.5% of all manual lovers it will simply outsmart them. The remaining .5% are highend racing drivers driving the whole day long.

+1. I think you need the sport plus mode to really experience how good it is.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
How would the NFGT compare at Nürburgring?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Probably 6:5X. Hard to say with resurfacing. Porsche supposedly expected 7:05 and went way faster than that, so not sure if the surface is just vastly improved this year or if they went in with moderate expectations. GT would be a lot faster through a couple of the real long sections but the Cup 2 R tire is better. RS also makes a lot more downforce with the mammoth fixed wing.

I once asked if they'd used their sophisticated sim equipment to do the Ring, and was told it was a sub-7. They are pretty accurate with that stuff. Should let Müller do it in real life. Has plenty of experience racing there.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
+1. I think you need the sport plus mode to really experience how good it is.

I must admit the PDK sport plus system is growing on me .... it makes the average track guy like me much faster in a much "less effort/drama" kind of way ..... the way it keeps the rews up is just plain awesome

I recently drove a 2014 911 Turbo S on track and I don´t think I´ve ever driven a much faster car around that track ....

Test driving the Cayman GT4 for the first time next week .... to make up my mind if the right Cayman for me is the GTS with PDK (awesome) or the 6 speed GT4 (expected to be even more awesome) :wink

:cheers
Anders

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Should let Müller do it in real life. Has plenty of experience racing there.

I would personally go there to testify. I would even offer to sit on the codriver seat, but would not recommend that to Dirk :facepalm:

Hell, I could offer my old GT for comparison purposes :eek

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
This is going to be my consolation prize for not getting an allocation. Will arrive in November.
Still hoping for one of the 250 allocations left.

Saw one for the first time today.....very hot!! Hot ticket ride!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I’ll never forget doing one lap in the GT back in 2016, heavy rain, insane drivers in Fiats and vans, and BAT wiggling around ahead of me. After one lap we convened for a coffee, DBK said, “ who wants to go back out?” And all of us said, “no frigging way”!

That was certainly a day to remember. It’s still hard to believe we made that trip. Insane.

Chip

Attachments

• 866570C4-F070-46F6-8B81-4A648FADCEF0.jpg
    866570C4-F070-46F6-8B81-4A648FADCEF0.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 186
  • F2561DEB-C587-4E9A-B9C1-5BD36DF01955.jpeg
    F2561DEB-C587-4E9A-B9C1-5BD36DF01955.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 183

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Saw one for the first time today.....very hot!! Hot ticket ride!!

We are extremely excited to get the allocation. This will be our first Porsche.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That was certainly a day to remember. It’s still hard to believe we made that trip. Insane.

Chip

Yup. Periodically I run across those pics and think "I can't believe we did that."

We are extremely excited to get the allocation. This will be our first Porsche.

Congratulations. You will love it. Hard to get any better in my opinion, and I'd still rather have a 3RS than a 2RS.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I must admit the PDK sport plus system is growing on me .... it makes the average track guy like me much faster in a much "less effort/drama" kind of way ..... the way it keeps the rews up is just plain awesome

I recently drove a 2014 911 Turbo S on track and I don´t think I´ve ever driven a much faster car around that track ....

Test driving the Cayman GT4 for the first time next week .... to make up my mind if the right Cayman for me is the GTS with PDK (awesome) or the 6 speed GT4 (expected to be even more awesome) :wink

:cheers
Anders

I love my GT4. I've had it for 2 years. If you are going to track it hard, you'll need a track alignment to increase front camber. That will require toe links +/- camber plates. Otherwise the car understeers. Great car on the street with decent trunk space front and back.