991.2 GT3 RS

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
We are extremely excited to get the allocation. This will be our first Porsche.

Congratulations. If I wasn’t getting a NFGT, I’d be all over the GT3 Touring. That car really calls out to me. I’ve never owned a Porsche, but I will own one of those one day.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Thanks, I put a deposit down for this car about 5 years ago. It is almost as difficult to get an allocation as the NFGT.

We will use the car 2/3 of the time on the streets and 1/3 on the track.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Want to see the NFGT number there...

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Probably 6:5X. Hard to say with resurfacing. Porsche supposedly expected 7:05 and went way faster than that, so not sure if the surface is just vastly improved this year or if they went in with moderate expectations. GT would be a lot faster through a couple of the real long sections but the Cup 2 R tire is better. RS also makes a lot more downforce with the mammoth fixed wing.

I once asked if they'd used their sophisticated sim equipment to do the Ring, and was told it was a sub-7. They are pretty accurate with that stuff. Should let Müller do it in real life. Has plenty of experience racing there.

Can't believe RS makes a lot more downforce than NFGT. The rear wing may be smaller, but there is more exposed surface along the doors to the back of the car. Why Ford isn't doing the same as Porsche instead of weight adding active aero and rear wing, may be the loss in top speed?
A more track dedicated tire of course can do a lot.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can't believe RS makes a lot more downforce than NFGT. The rear wing may be smaller, but there is more exposed surface along the doors to the back of the car. Why Ford isn't doing the same as Porsche instead of weight adding active aero and rear wing, may be the loss in top speed?
A more track dedicated tire of course can do a lot.

It definitely does. It's very close to 1000 lbs of downforce with the wing adjusted for maximum attack, per Preuninger. Also has more tire and a very stiff suspension. The spring rates are much higher on the .2 and I find the .1 car to be much harsher already than the FGT around town.

It would be nice if there were a pure track rat version of the GT.

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Amazing info!
However, optically the NFGT will never be beaten by a Porsche 911.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
It would be nice if there were a pure track rat version of the GT.

Yes. With the crazy big splitters/diffuser and the giant fixed wing. Plus those sweet center lock wheels and the canards (although pedestrian impact rules probably prohibit).

Oh.. and A/C and apparently a backup camera. :bored

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Also has more tire .......

Not surprisingly, this particular Porsche has it's own/special version of the Cup 2 tire. I'd bet it adds quite a bit to the performance window.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I love my GT4. I've had it for 2 years. If you are going to track it hard, you'll need a track alignment to increase front camber. That will require toe links +/- camber plates. Otherwise the car understeers. Great car on the street with decent trunk space front and back.

Will not track it harder than any rental I´ve driven in the past :wink:facepalm::rofl

Actually looking for a GT4 without the clubsport option as I really do not like the carbon track seats ..... I want a little more comfort for driving longer trips .... so trying to find a good example with the 18 way alcantara with red stitching .....

:cheers
Anders

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Will not track it harder than any rental I´ve driven in the past :wink:facepalm::rofl

Actually looking for a GT4 without the clubsport option as I really do not like the carbon track seats ..... I want a little more comfort for driving longer trips .... so trying to find a good example with the 18 way alcantara with red stitching .....

:cheers
Anders

Both Dr. Frank and your daughter Emily took rides with me in my GT4 last year at COTA. Frank got car sick, your kid loved it. 18 ways are nice. The carbon LWB's (918 seats )are a little uncomfortable after awhile on a long drive.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Some more info on that Nurburgring run from the Porsche Club E-Brake News. Note the importance of the tires:

"Which brings us to a stunning revelation: How did the new GT3 RS, with just 20 more horsepower than the its 2016 model, usurp its predecessor by 24 seconds around the 12.8-mile track? Estre has some insight (emphasis mine): “Through the fast corners and on the brakes in particular, the GT3 RS is unbelievably close to our racing car GT3 R. This is also thanks to the new generation of tires for road going sports cars.”

No doubt Porsche has learned much outside tire development since 2016. Vice President of Motorsport and GT Cars Frank Steffen Walliser says as much: “Many innovative ideas from top-level motorsport were transferred; for example, from the 911 GT3 R. This is what our philosophy for GT models is about: Highest technology must be fascinating but tangible.” But knowing that the new RS set its sub-seven-minute lap time on Michelin’s forthcoming Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tires is a clue as to how the massive drop in lap time was achieved. It seems, once again, tire technology has played outsized role in the development of one of Porsche’s fastest sports cars.

Too bad we can't get these tires for our 05-06 cars!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
So there is a "Pilot Sport Cup 2 R" that is even softer than the tires on the NFGT?
If yes, will it be avalible in sizes for our cars?