Value of different option cars

Jun 9, 2014
Northern Virginia
It appears that cars with fewer that 4 options are more rare and more desirable these days. Is this true or am I missing something here. I just purchased a 1 option 2006 White FGT with blue stripes . This was the only option. The original owner specifically did not order the other option because he did not like the big speaker between the seats and he liked the standard wheels more than the BBS and did not necessarily think the red calipers were worth the money.

Thoughts?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Like fine wines and rare coins, low production cars will always command a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hmmm, can't say I agree.

I see guys promoting their cars as one of one because they were low option & color combination specific as being more valuable but I never really see the cars actually crossing the block at higher prices than loaded versions of the same car.

If it is special to you , great, enjoy in good health. You might just find out you don't care what it's value is after your passing. :wink

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
When I was hunting for my car 18 months ago, i had a good discussion on this topic with Marv Rose. I was seeking a no stripe car and also disliked the big speaker, and thought the rarity of the no-stripes would bump up value, all else equal. But Marv said that most buyers still most want the cars with all four options, and that the supply/demand ratios for each wash out such that he'd price equivalent mileage/condition stripe vs no-stripe cars the same, while lacking the other options would reduce price some.

So as 2112 says, I am enjoying my no stripe no McIntosh car as special for me, and am glad I didn't pay any premium for getting just what I wanted.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the only option I see bringing the money is a Heritage paint scheme. doesn't matter what options the car has if it's a super low mile car. lower the miles, the bigger valuation regardless of the options.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The base/cast wheels only appeared on 12% of cars.

I personally passed on half dozen cars to find the base-wheel case when I bought the car in 2006 from dealer.

I think the 5 spoke design is iconic/retro; closest to GT40 Hallibrand, GT concept-car and that deep-inset rotary/blade style of rear cant be beat.

Having said that I have two donated-to-me BBS wheels: one mounted as glass top table; one spare which will be worth $1000s one day.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The base wheels are 6-spoke.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I specifically searched for a two option car when I bought mine brand new. The BBS Wheels and the Red Calipers. But that was just my personal preference, not with any value in mind. I had read that some people were converting their cars to get rid of the large subwoofer, so I figured why pay for something that I might not want.

Within a year or two, I purchased the a full set of the base 6 spoke wheels and caps, which I still have safely stored. I figured it would someday be kind of cool to have these "standard" wheels, since most every Ford GT that I had seen had the BBS forged wheel option.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
I like the base wheels.
Usually at a rally I can pick out my car from the sea of red...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I like the base wheels too. They look "right" on the car. I have a set stowed away for the day I decide to put them on for show. The BBS are my daily drivers.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I think it’s a tale of 2 cities.
Can be debated either way.
Just get one with and one without.......