Big Enabler?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Just when the OE herd is all headed to electric vehicles, there is a glimmer of hope for IC powertrains:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-95-as-new-regular?cciid=email-autonews-daily

And if so, what a boon to the performance segment! If and only if, 'Big Oil' prices the product move correctly (the $.05/gallon noted), otherwise the IC run may be over.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great news for FE engines everywhere!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Remember that 95 RON is NOT the same measurement that we see on pumps in the USA. 95 Research Octane Number is about 4 points higher than the rating system we use, which is (RON+MON)/2. MON is Motor Octane Number, obtained by actually running fuel in a SAE "standard motor". Either way, if 91 becomes the new Regular, and 93 is still available, so much the better.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't Canada and Europe use RON only?

I'd like to see Chip's take on this.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
"Raising an engine's compression may be the most cost-effective -- and untapped -- way to improve fuel economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions."

why, the 14.5:1 compression 604 hemi in my Dart is practically eco-friendly! :biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"Raising an engine's compression may be the most cost-effective -- and untapped -- way to improve fuel economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions."

why, the 14.5:1 compression 604 hemi in my Dart is practically eco-friendly!
:biggrin

Because you love the earth.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Because you love the earth.

:thumbsup I do.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
More power on pump gas sounds good to me.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
This would require large expenses for the big oil companies. I don't want 20% ethanol in my fuel either. I can buy 93 octane and it's fine for my cars.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Chip, if you're watching this thread, please give us your view from the station owners/dsitrbutors perspective. I would think that upping the minimum octane would make little or no difference to the fuel distribution and retail systems. The current system just mixes the 87 octane and 92/93 octane tanks to get the in-between numbers, right? In other words, when you buy 89 octane fuel, the pump mixes 87 and 93 in the proper ratio to get 89.

Of course, if getting to 91 as the minimum requires increasing ethanol%, then all bets are off. That would really change the processes and systems, not to mention cause even more problems for existing ICE engines.

Ethanol isn't an additive, it's a contaminant. :ack

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Just when the OE herd is all headed to electric vehicles, there is a glimmer of hope for IC powertrains:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-95-as-new-regular?cciid=email-autonews-daily

And if so, what a boon to the performance segment! If and only if, 'Big Oil' prices the product move correctly (the $.05/gallon noted), otherwise the IC run may be over.

The move makes sense with the trend going to lower displacement turbo motors. Higher octane means greater potential for tuning, ergo more horsepower and more efficiency.