GT pops a coolant hose off while having fun with GT350....

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
was having some fun with my friends GT350 and at the top of 2nd gear my GT loses power and I see water gushing and completely covering the back window, I let off an coasted in, a large engine coolant hose located on the passenger side of the blower had popped off creating a huge mess. We were able to get the hose back on, clamp down and fill up with 2 gallons of coolant to get home.

from here what's the best way forward? replace the hose? new clamp? is all of that coolant dumped in the engine bay bad, it evaporated into smoke pretty quickly...

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7036.jpg
    IMG_7036.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 266

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Sorry to hear but glad it wasn’t worse. Love the picture!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
old thread buy all the coolant hose clamps should be changed out from the factory units that have a history of coming loose. I've replaced all mine on several GTs with the just the old style screw clamp. they've been around for 100 years and still work great. cool design on the factory clamps but just don't always work all that well. jmo

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Now you have to have the coolant system filled by a vacuum system (Airlift) to purge all air. Not possible without a vacuum pump. I'm sure there are old posts on this process.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the Airlft system is the best I've ever used. it purges both the engine coolant system and also the independent inter cooler system as well. makes a world of difference when all the air is out of the systems.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
wow--what a dramatic photo!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
yes cool...looks like Casper the Ghost above the Red Car... !!
Now we need Godzilla and Mothra...
andy (ajb)

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I replaced all my original hose clamps on my 06 in 09 because they were known to be a problem!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Remove the belly pans and clean them, and also clean the engine and interior of the engine compartment. That stuff is corrosive.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
thanks! another shot while we waited... :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 19.jpg
    FullSizeRender 19.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 200

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
yes cool...looks like Casper the Ghost above the Red Car... !!
Now we need Godzilla and Mothra...
andy (ajb)

Maybe the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
9a630f281220b07ff32aa648cb00d891.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Remove the belly pans and clean them, and also clean the engine and interior of the engine compartment. That stuff is corrosive.
Not corrosive, in fact, it's formulated to prevent corrosion inside your engine. On the outside, it just leaves some residue. Rinse it off with garden hose.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not corrosive, in fact, it's formulated to prevent corrosion inside your engine. On the outside, it just leaves some residue. Rinse it off with garden hose.

I've had coolant on aluminum parts and it leaves a horrible residue after a while. Gets a discoloration that won't come out. Might not be technically corrosion but it's hard to get rid of unless you flush the surfaces quickly.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm curious - how many miles on the GT?

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
around 6,700

I'm curious - how many miles on the GT?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We had a GT here in the shop a few years ago with a similar problem. We too thought the hose blew off but what happened is that the hose stayed on and the engine literally blew the pressed coolant fitting out of the intake manifold... with the hose still attached. I gave the owner a couple of options to fix along with a recommendation. I guess the straightforward fix would be to remove and replace the intake manifold. The intake manifold as you might imagine was not inexpensive, nor was all of the labor to remove everything to get the intake manifold off. Option 2 (my recommendation after careful deliberation and a bit of research)..... apply some made-for-pressed-fittings green Loctite and tap that fitting back into the intake manifold. Worked like a charm and was never a problem again!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
That's a better solution even if a new manifold was free.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
car is cleaned up and all good, hose clamp was loose or loosened up and just popped off. We pressure tested and it held 20psi...