Garage lift power

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
While I like the idea of using a ceiling outlet to get the cord out of the way, I also like to leave my lift unplugged when not in use. Wall outlet it is.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
While I like the idea of using a ceiling outlet to get the cord out of the way, I also like to leave my lift unplugged when not in use. Wall outlet it is.

I did both. My power runs down from the ceiling into an outlet box attached to one of the 4 posts. I then plug the lift motor into the outlet on the post. You could unplug it here if you desired. I did it this way so I could plug a 240v arc welder or another tool into the outlet box if required.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I did both. My power runs down from the ceiling into an outlet box attached to one of the 4 posts. I then plug the lift motor into the outlet on the post. You could unplug it here if you desired. I did it this way so I could plug a 240v arc welder or another tool into the outlet box if required.

I did almost the same thing for the exact same reason.

My double wide hoist sits darned close to a wall. So, I ran the power from the ceiling, down that wall, and into an outlet box mounted on that wall. Rather than let the hoist's factory power cord simply lie on the floor, however, I chose to run it from the top of the 'control/motor/fluid tank' post, thru a hook on the wall, and then down to the outlet box from there. It's completely out of the way.

The power for my 115 v single car hoist is supplied via a dedicated outlet mounted on the ceiling directly above the post that holds the control/motor/fluid tank. The power cord from that hoist is also looped thru a hook (near the outlet box on the ceiling)...but, that was done just to keep the weight of the cord from 'unplugging' the hoist. There'll never be a need to access that outlet to power anything else since there are 4-plug 115 v outlets located e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e along the walls of the shop.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I'm a fan of 2-post lifts, but one thing you MUST check if you get a 2-poster: The clearance of the arms under the car. We all know the GT sits low, so you need arms that have preferably 4" or lower clearance. Some go down to 3-1/2 or a little less. Otherwise, you'll have to position 2x8 boards and drive up on those to get the arms under it.

And that the arms are long enough to reach the lift points. My father in laws lift would not extend long enough on my GT. He never had a problem with any other car.