Garage lift power

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm getting ready to wire my new garage with two 240 volt lifts. Where does the power cord usually go, up to the ceiling or along the floor and typically to the inside or outside front or back post? thx.
barry

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Mine goes to the outside of the front left post. I ran it on the floor with a big plug on it along with the airline. Would be cleaner overhead I guess but my shop's a mess anyway. Air compressor, CMC Mill, Lathe and lots of crap.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Both my air and power come from the ceiling.
Clean and no trip factor.
Best,
Mark

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My electrical and air goes up the post to the ceiling so there is nothing on the floor to trip over or to roll a floor jack, oil catch can, transmission jack, etc. over. This was the best way to get the power cord and air line out of the way in my case. I've never seen a commercial business' hoist 240v power cord laid across the floor probably due to safety regulations.

It doesn't matter which post, front or back, you place the controls. Put it wherever it's the most convenient for you to use.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Both of my lifts have power at front left corner post. Power From wall or overhead...not on ground.
My lifts are only 7000 lb capacity so I only have normal 110 volt service to each.
Andy (ajb)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ceiling for sure. Surface mount EMT if necessary.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Barry,

Power on most lifts goes to the left front post and it’s much safer to have it come down from the ceiling for multiple reasons. In addition to tripping over a ground cord or damaging it you’ll probably want to hose off your garage floor sometime and won’t want electric down there. Everybody has power in their garage ceiling anyway to run the garage door openers. Mine is 110V which works OK but it’s slow. If I was wireing my garage today I’d put in 240V too.

Chip

Attachments

• E66C42A6-7C45-4F55-8C9B-B4774252B734.jpg
    E66C42A6-7C45-4F55-8C9B-B4774252B734.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 223

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I wired 240 to the ceiling but I didn't like the look of a hanging wire in a clean garage. So I opt to patiently wait 30 seconds longer for my Bendpak to go up by using the power from the wall. The way it's setup in the back center of my double deep 6 car garage poses no issue for tripping, etc.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
mine were designed to go to the wall for 20a power. the two lifts were designed to be against walls. no air needed to operate lifts.
image13.jpg

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ceiling for sure. Surface mount EMT if necessary.
Ditto. I installed my 240V outlet in the ceiling, then ran the cord up to the outlet. Neat, and no tripping (well, there's still the air hose and 120V extension cord laying around...). Just do it. You'll be happy you put it there.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'd also recommend the ceiling.

I'm not sure all lifts are like mine, but the pump is on the front, right side of the lift. If the lift were turned 180 degrees, then it would be on the back, left. So just keep that in mind when you decide where in the ceiling you want it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Barry,

Power on most lifts goes to the left front post and it’s much safer to have it come down from the ceiling for multiple reasons. In addition to tripping over a ground cord or damaging it you’ll probably want to hose off your garage floor sometime and won’t want electric down there. Everybody has power in their garage ceiling anyway to run the garage door openers. Mine is 110V which works OK but it’s slow. If I was wireing my garage today I’d put in 240V too.

Chip

Chip: Your garage isn't big enough!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip: Your garage isn't big enough!

That photo only shows part of the right hand side of my main garage. The left hand side is bigger and I have a separate 4 car garage for the boat BUT.....you are correct. It's not big enough. It's a lost cause though because no matter how much garage space a guy has he will quickly overwhelm it (your wife does the same thing with her bedroom closet) and need to leave his daily driver(s) outside in the elements.

Chip

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Fixed wiring method is not a good choice if you plan to move the lift around the garage. Cord connection (SO or SOW type) from the motor to a wall (or ceiling) mounted receptacle may be a better choice :cheers

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
What are the current recommendations on a 4 post lift? I had one years ago - long since gone....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What are the current recommendations on a 4 post lift? I had one years ago - long since gone....

I have 2 Rotary lifts (12,000 and 14,000) and they are great. Whatever you get, I hope you make an effort to buy a USA made lift.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have 7- 4 posts lifts. When I built my garage I had 2 plugs installed flush in the floor 1 at the front of where the lifts would go and 1 at the back. Plus my lifts are movable. The only ceiling plug I had installed was for the 2 posts mechanics lift which I know I am not moving. the floors are 110/208 V and the ceiling was 220 V

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
mine were designed to go to the wall for 20a power. the two lifts were designed to be against walls. no air needed to operate lifts.
View attachment 50380

nice king cobra :) you never see those anymore.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I'm a fan of 2-post lifts, but one thing you MUST check if you get a 2-poster: The clearance of the arms under the car. We all know the GT sits low, so you need arms that have preferably 4" or lower clearance. Some go down to 3-1/2 or a little less. Otherwise, you'll have to position 2x8 boards and drive up on those to get the arms under it.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
nice king cobra :) you never see those anymore.

thanks. its actually my first car