First Track Day

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Well, I finally had the opportunity to take the car for a track day at Talladega Gran Prix last weekend with the SCCA. What a humbling experience. I have never been on a road course before and this one is only 1.4 miles with just a couple small straights and technical turns. (It was built as a motorcycle track).

The GT is way too much car for a first track day. I had a instructor and drove cautiously and knew to be careful. It's very humbling to be lapped by numerous Miatas and other track day cars with probably only 100hp.

The first run I was running close to redline because of the long gearing and short track, and I guess I went into limp mode as I just stalled on a straight. Temp was 210 or so and on street driving I rarely get above 170. I turned the igniton off and the car started right back up. I went back to paddocks. Any thoughts? I ran my OBD ap on my phone and no error codes popped up and no CEL light came on.

So then I rode with a guy with a track prepped open top Miata who does TT's regularly. Ohhh my. He scarred me to death. He showed me how he brakes before the turns and the lines he takes. Wow, it was impressive. So then I took the GT out next run with some of his techniques. I was really braking hard like he was and at the end of the run my brakes went to mush which thankfully I felt before a long straight. I didn't run again because I didn't want to stress the brakes anymore. Probably going to get the pads changed now.

Anyway, great experience but for a novice like me sure would have have rather been in a less powerful car my first time.

Of course everyone was super nice and helpful, and LOVED the GT. I was the only street car there and had probably 400 more hp than every other car there. Miatas, Mini, Eliminator Miatas, Lotus 7 clone and various small open wheel cars were there.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
30f9b478406fb59abd3bf36e2bdc072a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Before you change the pads, change the brake and clutch fluid.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Regarding the stalling, the car takes more than 210 to go into limp mode and when it does it doesn't stall. I would search for alternate causes on that one.

It will be easy to overheat the GT on a 1.4 mile track since you're gonna be stuck in 2nd gear most of the time.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Glad you made it!

Short shifting and using torque (vs high revs) is key to keeping temps down on that track. Last time I was there it was hot as balls and I had no issues other than running out of gas and tires.

You learned a lesson fortunately the easy way with the brakes. Change all fluids before going to a track. :thumbsup

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Regarding the stalling, the car takes more than 210 to go into limp mode and when it does it doesn't stall. I would search for alternate causes on that one.

It will be easy to overheat the GT on a 1.4 mile track since you're gonna be stuck in 2nd gear most of the time.

Not sure why it stalled but started right back up and ran fine the rest of the time

Yes subsequent runs I shifted into third more just to stay out of second as I could almost stay in it the whole time.

Thanks for the advice. Already went out and changed the clutch and brake fluid!! Brake fluid was very dark!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I was getting up to 230F at UMC last summer and mine didn't go into limp-home mode. Something else is happening. Fuel starvation? When was the last time the filters were changed?

As for the brakes, everyone was running hard at UMC last summer and I didn't hear anyone complain of brake fade. I changed my brake fluid just before the event. No problems hauling' her down from 160 or so on the straight for Turn 1. Lesson learned on changing the brake fluid--fortunately it wasn't an expensive lesson for you! FYI, the Porsche Club requires the brake fluid to be no more than 6 months old for our track days. There's a good reason for that.

Before you spend any money on go-fast stuff for the car, spend money for in-car instruction. Make yourself fast before you make the car faster. It can way outperform 95% of us. (Rocketman or Specracer or Mark can jump in here)

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Well, I’m going to learn how to drive a slow car fast. This thing is a blast. Anyone who has not driven a NA Miata...please go try it!! It is supercharged though!!

65512e1f31a86635a93aee33aa091e9f.jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
"Well, I’m going to learn how to drive a slow car fast."

Good decision.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That is exactly how I learned! Anyone can push the right pedal on the track, but what to do when the road turns is where the fun is!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Smart decision and good for you for recognizing it. I have a 2016 Miata that I’d love to track.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Glad you got it on a track. Rally 12 was my first time and had no idea how capable it was until Rocketman did a few laps with me in the passenger seat. Great time and learning experience he made it look so easy driving and talking to me while running a blistering pace. Hope to see you at the next rally.

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Congratulations on getting your GT out on the track!! I know going to the track for the first time in such a powerful car can be intimidating but it's really the only place one can safely use all the capabilities of this wonderful machine. I am sure the next time you go everything will start coming together and it will feel more natural. Hope you had fun!!