Finally got my first drive in the new Ford GT Heritage

Mar 15, 2006
OK, so we take delivery a while back. Decided to not drive the GT until it had a full body Xpel clear bra protection including windshield, carbon door sills and exposed carbon under the doors and car. After waiting 4 weeks to make sure that the factory paint was ready for this process, Houston Xpel did a fantastic job on the installation. Then it rained several days, no driving. Then the side screens came in (thank DBK) and then it rained, no driving. And finally yesterday after a long day at work, I got in a short (10 miles) but fun drive. Here are some initial impressions:

1. The seating position for me (5' 9" and wide but not too wide..) is comfortable and vision all around, forward, side and rear, are very good. Seats are supportive and surprisingly comfortable. All the functions of the car are simple and easy. GT does not have satellite radio - but the car sounds so good why would anyone listen to the radio?

2. Overall vehicle fit and finish are top notch. The details are beautiful and the #1 ghosted into the interior carbon door panels is way cool!

3. Low speed vehicle operation is super easy, dual clutch transmission is easy, gear selector and drive modes are easy, various IP data and readouts are easy, raising and lowering the front of the car is easy. This is a car that is easy to put around in and the transmission is smooth at low speed whereas some other supercars can be not nearly as smooth going slow.

4. Cruising on the highway is comfortable in sport mode (the only mode I used this time out), steering feel is EXCELLENT, brakes are EXCELLENT thought I didnt go anywhere near their capability (I need to properly bead the brakes), ride quality is surprisingly supple and the few turns I took felt like I was on rails and could have gone way way faster. Exhaust, engine and blow off valve sounds are all very nice, not too loud and very very good for V6. I have no complaints on the exhaust at all (I did not opt for Ti exhaust upgrade).

5. Acceleration from 70-150 mph (on our race track of course) is very impressive and more that I had expected. This certainly feels like a mid 130 mph 1/4 mile trap speed car. Transmission shifts super fast and smooth at WOT. The wing popping up at speed and flipping forward under deceleration is very very cool.

Overall I am extremely impressed, as I expected to be. The only thing that I noticed during the drive is that the incredible aero of the GT combined with Cup2 tires make this car suck every pebble off of the road. This is true out in the country where I work. On the highway it isnt noticeable as the highway would be smooth due to the other traffic. But on side streets you can hear every pebble and grain of sand as they come off of the tire and land in the side screen area just in front of the door sill. Lets face it, this is a race car that was built for the street. The aero package was designed to win LeMans and it did. The car can lap race tracks quicker and faster than many other more powerful and expensive hypercars, largely due to the GT's incredible aerodynamics. Thus, this is part of the DNA of the GT and I will get used to it. Thankfully it has the Xpel protection and side screens.

The 2018 Heritage is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. And the driving experience matches its looks perfectly. Cant wait to drive it some more, for longer distances, open roads, twisty Texas and California roads and maybe a high speed run at some point. But for this weekend, if its dry early tomorrow morning, I will enjoy driving down I-10 to Houston Cars & Coffee. Come check it out if you are in the Houston area. The action begins around 8:30 am. Have a nice weekend everyone.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Great impression from a guy that knows.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Right on! Great to hear that you find the drivability to be there at speed and just cruising. No doubt if the GT feels unique to you then it's going to blow the rest of our minds. The Heritage is a stunner. Congrats again.

Vince H

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Right on! Great to hear that you find the drivability to be there at speed and just cruising. No doubt if the GT feels unique to you then it's going to blow the rest of our minds. The Heritage is a stunner. Congrats again.

Vince H

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm one step behind you! I'll get my car out of the PPF installer next week. Can't wait to get it out on the roads. Thanks for the review!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks for the info. The details you provided on street-ability are great! Keep the info coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Really appreciate the update John. Great to hear your take and glad you got to finally take her out! Congrats again!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks John for that detailed review. Good stuff!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Good stuff!:thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Impressive!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
You would know! As I value your opinion as a speed king!
Thanks for the write up!
But the big question is ....... Are you going to leave it stock??????

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
You definitely gleaned a lot of information from that 10 mile drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Thanks John. That was a fun read and congratulations again.

Mar 15, 2006
You would know! As I value your opinion as a speed king!
Thanks for the write up!
But the big question is ....... Are you going to leave it stock??????

There are no plans to modify our FGT at this time. But I have said that before and then changed my mind..

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
John’s Famous Last Words! It’s not in his DNA. Be very careful with too much tweeting. Just remember JOHN, those rocks and gravel are even louder as they pass in your GT the faster you drive it! Ha Ha

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
There are no plans to modify our FGT at this time. But I have said that before and then changed my mind..
Famous last words. However, I'm curious to see if there's any gain to be had by tweaking the computer for higher 93 octane fuel. Given the displacement-specific horsepower this engine already attains, I doubt Ford left much on the table for the tuners.

Last edited:

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
John, Yesterday you said you have no plans to modify your GT. Its been 24 hours so what are you going to modify? Sleepless nights have a way of revealing new ideas.

Mar 15, 2006
Famous last words. However, I'm curious to see if there's any gain to be had by tweaking the computer for higher 93 octane fuel. Given the displacement-specific horsepower this engine already attains, I doubt Ford left much on the table for the tuners.

Agreed.