World's first four second quarter mile run happened thirty years ago today

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
We were blessed with a run of 4.990 at 288.55 mph on 4/9/1988, the day that seemed to demand it.

What a change in the sport since thirty years before, like this picture of my 1958 dragster in the lower right hand of this picture- with Cushman motorscooter front wheels, and a Pontiac v-eight with six carburetors, engine as stressed member. 1070 pounds.

1988 First in the Fours, hence my handle FourFather.

2018 And my latest racer weighs--- wait for it----- 1070 pounds! After a lifetime of going straight, I'm trying to learn to turn corners.

The first sixty years of racing have been so much fun that I can hardly wait for the next sixty years! :thumbsup
And my order window for a new Ford GT is supposed to come up later this year- God is good and life is great!

Thanks for looking,

Eddie

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I attended my 1st top fuel runs ever about a month ago in Phoenix. I have watched for many years, but never witnessed in person. It was an amazing experience. You did some amazing things, thanks for sharing your milestone!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for sharing. Like Specracer, I attended my first top fuel runs not too long ago(5 -6 years at Sonoma Raceway). The power was kind of overwhelming, but pretty cool. Pretty impressive what you pioneers did.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My buddy still has the picture hanging in his office with all your candles lit “first in the 4’s”. What a great career you had Eddie![emoji469][emoji469]

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi Eddie,
Really awesome!
Is that a formula 1000? We have some of the guys at Spring Mountain running F1000s. Pretty cool cars!

Last edited:

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Happy Anniversary Eddie, that was a great day and being their to witness that run is a very special memory. Thanks for all you have done for the sport.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Congrats Eddie! You and the late Lloyd Ruby are true motorsports legends from "The Falls". When you get your car I'd love to drive up from Fort Worth for the reveal. I'll bring the "red machine". BTW, my 40th reunion from Rider High School is this fall!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Eddie, I remember watching you race when I was a kid thinking "he must be the coolest man alive and have balls of steel." Now I know that holds true today and will forever hold true. Congrats Eddie and thanks for sharing!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Watched you at Englishtown many times now the track is closed for racing. Took a piece of me with it. You've always been a great Ambassador for the sport , hopefully it survives in this new age world.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
You are a true pioneer Eddie. All the best to you and your family.

Vince H

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Cool video

[video=youtube;prgoHGbjf2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgoHGbjf2s[/video]

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Great photo from the early days. Made me flash back to " Sunday Sunday Sunday" at the drags.

I spent a lot of weekends at Green Valley Raceway or Dallas International Motor Speedway watching you and all the other great Dallas drag racers.

Mart Higginbothom, was my buddy from Hillcrest High, Ralph's brother, and drove the Doran Chevy funny car for Mike Burkhardt. Ralph built a side-oiler 427 for his Ranchero, and it was stolen 3 days after it was completed. Body shell found burned later.

Watching Bernstein in the Bud cars, Beadle in the Blue Max, and then all those door slammers like Grumpy Jenkins, Sox & Martin, and those other great racers like you that are still up there mingling with my other thoughts and cob webs.

Thanks for those memories.

Just bought a Hellcat Charger, and ready to make some new memories in front of that Christmas Tree soon.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 187

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Congrats and good luck for your continued career.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Hey, Specracer, Triheart7, pe2unia, Apollo, Spaceman, ByeEnzo, GTMD, CJ428, Vince H, Simon, digman1, and Brombear, Thanks for all the kind comments!

And Apollo, my new (to me) road racer is a Pro Formula Mazda, with a Mazda RX8 Renesis rotary engine, car comes with 265 hp at 8,600 rpm, 1070 pounds, no-lift shift. I have spent the winter upgrading the engine by installing a turbo and converting to methanol. :thumbsup

Cheers,

Eddie

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Being an old boat racer this is how I picture (you) Eddie Hill "The Texan TFH".

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 117

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Being an old boat racer this is how I picture (you) Eddie Hill "The Texan TFH".

That was really some fun times, but I was very fortunate -(blessed is probably a better word) to have survived the crashes. Crashes took the lives of fourteen of my top fuel boat racer friends.

Attachments

• Eddie and 689 blown fuel hydro at speed Firebird in 85 (640x334).jpg
    Eddie and 689 blown fuel hydro at speed Firebird in 85 (640x334).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2015 Feb 11 Mike Cecil photos 002.JPG
    2015 Feb 11 Mike Cecil photos 002.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 146
  • EEatCreveCour-1.JPG
    EEatCreveCour-1.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 135
  • eehill_01_ico1.JPG
    eehill_01_ico1.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 116

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Agree Eddie, I figured that was the reason you went cars. Saw more than my share as well and it stop making sense. Fun sport however.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
It's all about the hair.... nobody else knew your secret

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Good stuff !! Thanks for sharing !! :thumbsup:usa:usa

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Old memories while making new ones.... love your spirit Eddie... you know how to live. Thank you for sharing.