Mercedes enters the hybrid hypercar zone

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
In case you haven't seen it yet, MB-AMG has thrown down the Project One hybrid hypercar. Estimated price in the $2.8M range. Here's the link:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/me...roject-one-formula-1-technology-for-the-road/

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And produced by our friends at Multimatic. I asked where that facility was, when we had our tour, but wasn't given an answer.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is a worthwhile read. The powertrain arrangement is very interesting.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
unreal!!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Yeah, but........heavy on the maintenance. For example,

"How durable will this tiny V6 engine be? Surely, Formula 1 engines are built to have rather short lives..."

TM: “They used to be, but now the number of engines F1 teams can use in a season is restricted, so they’re much longer lasting. We’ve certified the Project One's engine to 50,000km (31,070 miles). It’ll need a rebuild after that.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-amg-boss-tobias-moers-challenges-project-one

I LOVE OUR FORD GT!!!! Our cars are so awesome in design, technology, performance and reliable.

Thank you Ford!

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
John, I still don't see how you fit in it!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'm sure that wont be expensive.

It’ll need a rebuild after that.”

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
OMG, I must say I'm impressed! I originally thought the Ford gt would come with an engine like this, I was wrong obviously but I'm excited to hear an 11k rpm monster screaming on the street! Not that I'll ever see one, but I'll try and remain optimistic!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Hehe, much better compared to ferrari during the 80ies :driving:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

This is certainly an interesting engineering exercise. If I was a teenager I might lust for such a car. But, showing my age this one doesn’t interest me. I like to say that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. But this takes that approach too far for this old man. I don’t think it’s pretty. But then, compared to the new GT nothing is pretty. I have flogged my old GT at the track. I’m sure I’ll be a bit more careful with a 550K new GT at the track but I’ll still track it. I don’t think I’d track a 3M car at all.

When does too much excess make something unusable? Speaking only for myself, this car is akin to a nuclear powered coffee maker.

Chip

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Speaking only for myself, this car is akin to a nuclear powered coffee maker.

Chip

Fission or Fusion?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What will the real world weight be?

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Super bad ass car overall from a technical perspective but it's really ugly. Bad front, bad greenhouse, bad snorkel, bad execution of the stabilizer fin, nothing really identifies it as a Merc. I had a couple friends who were distraught they didn't get one, and then when I saw it I had to say "Really? You were that upset over not getting this?"

I'd still unquestionably take it for the tech. I mean, the GT is cool and for the motorsport DNA and this thing has a literal Formula 1 powertrain. Yes please. Order it black. I respect the fact Mercedes has undertaken what is really a mammoth pain in the ass technical exercise. Lots of friendly faces involved in this project.

They should just sell it with no body for living room art.

2019-Mercedes-AMG-Project-One-Powertrain-06.jpg

2019-Mercedes-AMG-Project-One-Powertrain-13.jpg

2019-Mercedes-AMG-Project-One-Powertrain-07.jpg

2019-Mercedes-AMG-Project-One-Powertrain-02.jpg

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
What could possibly go wrong?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.......it's really ugly.

They should just sell it with no body for living room art.

It does look better without the body. The interior is a miss too. Perhaps a focus group should be brought in before they finalize styling. When I come home from work I often take a minute or two to admire my new GT. It is exceedingly pleasant to look at and it's visual brings me great joy. It seems to do that for most of the people who see it. I don't drive it every day but I do view and enjoy it every day.

Which makes the visual of this new Mercedes so distressing. "Yeah it's not pretty but it hauls ass and is a tech masterpiece" is akin to "Yeah she's ugly but gives great ****". If I can't enjoy it with my eyes it doesn't matter how much I enjoy it with my other senses. But that's just one guys opinion and it's worth every dime you just paid for it.

Chip

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Gentlemen,

This is certainly an interesting engineering exercise. If I was a teenager I might lust for such a car. But, showing my age this one doesn’t interest me. I like to say that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. But this takes that approach too far for this old man. I don’t think it’s pretty. But then, compared to the new GT nothing is pretty. I have flogged my old GT at the track. I’m sure I’ll be a bit more careful with a 550K new GT at the track but I’ll still track it. I don’t think I’d track a 3M car at all.

When does too much excess make something unusable? Speaking only for myself, this car is akin to a nuclear powered coffee maker.

Chip

You have to admit that a nuclear powered coffee maker would make for a great conversation piece.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Serviced by your local Mercedes dealer?