Questions About GT350 Oil Consumption

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Any owners of the current GT350 experiencing dramatic oil consumption? I’m considering a new 2017 for a substantial discount off MSRP, but I’ve read some cars had real issues with using oil. Any input greatly appreciated.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
We added 1.5 qt in the first 3000 miles.
Milliken , our dealer, recommended checking it regularly.
Uses a bit more that your 'daily driver... so keep an eye on it.
andy (ajb)

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Seems to be hit or miss with various cars. 2500 miles on mine and no oil consumption.

As Andy said, I check it more regularly than a normal car because of the excessive use in some cars.

All that said, I wouldnt let that stop you from buying one. Amazing machines, they are.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
As stated above, owners on a Mustang forum are all over the place with regard to oil consumption of the GT350. I have a little over 900 miles on mine and haven't added a drop. Going to have it changed at 1,000 miles and send a sample off to Blackstone for analysis.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have over a hundred all track miles on my new GT350. No oil consumption. Just a little oil in the catch cans.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I just did a half track day Friday in my 2018 GT350R and it needed to add 1qrt.

RickH is right, the consumption reports are all over the place on the Mustang forums and it may be related to driving styles/intensity.

Spartan, you have a Voodoo in yours?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Beat the car like you hate it when you get it. Do not change the first oil change out till at least 1500 hard miles of driving or more. I did first oil change at 4400 and drove the car like it was my enemy. I used 1.5 qts.. If you change the oil out before the rings are seated you car in trouble as far as oil usage goes. The rings will never seal properly if they don't with in the first oil change.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Beat the car like you hate it when you get it. Do not change the first oil change out till at least 1500 hard miles of driving or more. I did first oil change at 4400 and drove the car like it was my enemy. I used 1.5 qts.. If you change the oil out before the rings are seated you car in trouble as far as oil usage goes. The rings will never seal properly if they don't with in the first oil change.

OK, I'll put my ignorance on display here. Why would changing the oil too soon have an impact on the rings sealing? Is there some kind of break-in oil that comes in the car from the factory?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I just did a half track day Friday in my 2018 GT350R and it needed to add 1qrt.

RickH is right, the consumption reports are all over the place on the Mustang forums and it may be related to driving styles/intensity.

Spartan, you have a Voodoo in yours?

Well, it’s a voodoo with cross plane crank and cams. Still red lines at 8250.

I run it close to redline before shifting. That’s how I broke in this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Well, it’s a voodoo with cross plane crank and cams. Still red lines at 8250.

I run it close to redline before shifting. That’s how I broke in this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh. Did you blow the original motor and rebuild it with a cross plane crank?