dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Multimatic: meet the engineering ace behind the supercar maker

We meet Larry Holt, Doc Brown lookalike and maker of incredible supercars

When people first meet Larry Holt, some get a bit hung up on his haircut. Or lack of it.

Safe to say Holt is the world’s only 57-year-old vice-president of a billion-dollar car group whose straggling shoulder-length grey locks and accompanying casual apparel indicate both an abiding disdain for barbers’ shops and for formality in all its guises.

This does not, however, stop him being one of the world’s foremost experts in complex car engineering and manufacture, with special expertise at bringing intricate supercar projects to life.

Still, on first contact, you can’t help wondering how Holt’s unique appearance plays with denizens of sartorial correctness such as the top people at Ford, GM, AMG or Aston Martin, with whom he does high-level deals...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/multimatic-meet-engineering-ace-behind-supercar-maker

Nice article about Multimatic and the man Larry Holt.

larry-1267.jpg

Larry and Jamal, two of my favorite (wildly different) people.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Very cool article. Larry is an amazing guy.

Ed

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
It was so cool to meet him at Daytona 2016. Despite the teething problems with the new race cars, he spent a great deal of time talking with us and joined us for dinner post race.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I got to speak to him for about 5 minutes during the Ford GT/SAE event in Detroit awhile back. I just wanted to shake his hand and tell him thanks for making the car. When I mentioned I was on the list for one he lit up and spent the next few minutes telling me how much I'll enjoy it while walking around the car and explaining the engineering highlights (in very digestible terms).

Great (and brilliant) guy.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I like teasing Jamal, never talked to Larry but I'm sure we would get along.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Interesting read. Having had a long role in the Supplier side of the Auto Industry, there were a couple of Larry's thoughts that resonate, perhaps foremost:

“......That’s also a problem with the current obsession with Silicon Valley. Everyone’s out there trying to find the next great idea, but I’m not sure they’ve got the pragmatism needed.”

Amen, Larry.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
yes Rex, as we talked yesterday... --I hear that in some circles and silicon valley new hires ... "like by 2020 all vehicles will be driving themselves with 'like no steering wheel or 'like no pedals."
and "then 'like by 2022 then will also be able to fly."
Ok - 'Like"...where do I sign up...
andy (ajb)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Guess that I just needed some kind of 'encouragement' to go back to law school so I can apply all that 'pragmatic' auto knowledge in some future gainful employment. :lol