Top Gear 2018

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The new season started last night. They started off with a trip down V8 memory lane with a GT350R, Jag and McLaren. Including a "chase scene" with Ken Block in a 4-wheeler "cop car" as they try to outrun him with some shine on board. Block's 4-wheeler has a linear shifter! I wonder what his street car looks like. And the fastest V8 turns out to be ... not a surprise.

And Sabine as always has so much fun!

The GT350R was upped by Hennessy and he's in the "after show".

First episode was last night, second tonight (5PM PST).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Jumping ahead to 2020...

Did anyone watch the new Top Gear (the British version on BBC America). I watched this week's episode last night (from Sunday). They had three early "200+MPH cars". Ferrari F40, Jaguar XJ220 and a Lamborghini Diablo. While driving to one of the challenges Paddy McGuinness crashed the Diablo. These were loaner cars for the show and the owners have some degree of faith that their cars will come back in one piece. Well, I guess that owner was disappointed. There was no mention of who it was or the consequences.

Freddie Flintoff did get the XJ220 over the 200MPH mark.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The new team is an improvement over the last lot, but the ‘chemistry’ still seems forced. Loved Harris’s test of that insane electric VW Pikes Peak car, tho’

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
BBC version on hold again

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Good riddance. It devolved into a parody of itself. Instead, I suggest you try "Bitchin' Rides," or "Engine Masters" on the Motor Trend Channel. Interesting content, useful info, especially Engine Masters, and lightly entertaining.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
If you’re missing the originals, don’t bother with ‘Grand Tour ‘ (last one was crap), but tune in to ‘Clarkson’s Farm’ which is brilliant and pure Jeremy

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you’re missing the originals, don’t bother with ‘Grand Tour ‘ (last one was crap), but tune in to ‘Clarkson’s Farm’ which is brilliant and pure Jeremy
I found the Grand Tour shows interesting for where they went. They were willing to go to areas that I'd never set foot on and probably get protection from because they like the show too :)

But you're right about Clarkson's Farm. The farm stuff is accurately presented, especially the parts about the livestock. I grew up on a dairy farm and we never had sheep but the parts about the cows were spot on. Their grain farming was the same as ours (with different crops but the same problems). I can relate to his zoning problems although I suspect much of that is edited for dramatic effect. The one thing I think they really minimized was the cost of his farm equipment. Those tractors that he and Kaleb (and Kaleb even though he is young has his own stuff) equipped like they are are price out at close to US$250K. One thing for sure is he's put a lot of his own money into a business that is basically breaking even. The next season is "in the can" and separate news about some of his zoning this have surfaced here. I think he finally got his parking lot.