Recall

DanaMcGarrh

Feb 18, 2018
Did any or all of fellow 05-06 GT owners answer the recall and replace the airbag ?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
PAGES and PAGES of info on this. Most have tackled the drivers side final fix (parts have been available about a year) . As for the passenger, the final parts are just becoming available. This one is a bit more of a process, as the lower dash panel needs to come out to provide access to the bag / actuator.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Like many here I've been holding off on having it done because I fear the potential for damage done by our small local dealer. He's a good guy but he and his service dept. has "O" experience with GT's or any high end cars. The dealer that Floridaho Chris, Bill Dicky, WilliamS and myself chose to deliver our NFGT is flying his top mechanic to Idaho on his own dime to swap out all our bags, some great service imo. So to answer, yes get it done. I don't believe the job to be too difficult but it takes only one small screwdriver in a back pocket or greasy pair of pants to ruin your day.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Did any or all of fellow 05-06 GT owners answer the recall and replace the airbag ?

Most of all of us have had the driver side done is it easy swap and the parts were available along time ago. We have just recently been notified about the passenger side being available. I have two cars I haven't had mine done yet but will try to do so soon.

The passenger side is a little more involved than the driver side.. The other option is just to turn the key off on the passenger side.. you can do a search to see what's been posted in the past but that's the basic summary of where most of us are at.

DanaMcGarrh

Feb 18, 2018
Most of all of us have had the driver side done is it easy swap and the parts were available along time ago. We have just recently been notified about the passenger side being available. I have two cars I haven't had mine done yet but will try to do so soon.

The passenger side is a little more involved than the driver side.. The other option is just to turn the key off on the passenger side.. you can do a search to see what's been posted in the past but that's the basic summary of where most of us are at.
Thank you, I had the driver side on mine as well, I was not aware of the passenger side recall. I might have confused the notice with some of the others. I got a few before I had it done. I will look for that. I have a couple friends with cars that have not done either yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are lots of topics on the air bags, this being the latest after the letters that say passenger side is available

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/34373-December-2017-Passenger-Airbag-Recall-Status

My dealer still says not but apparently they are, perhaps being rolled out by region.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going in for my passenger side tomorrow at Autonation Ford North Scottsdale. They service a fair amount of GT's and have 7 passenger units in so I am hoping all goes smooth. I will probably roll up a chair and spectate.

Last edited:

DanaMcGarrh

Feb 18, 2018
I'm going in for my passenger side tomorrow at Autonation Ford North Scottsdale. They service a fair amount of GT's and have 7 passenger units in so I am hoping all goes smooth. I will probably roll up a chair and spectate.
I have all my cars except the gt serviced in Scottsdale, I might give that place a call tomorrow, make road trip in mine and have it done. Hopefully won't meet to many troopers on the way.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
I am having both of my 06's airbags changed on April 9 and 10th

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I got the passenger airbag done today. They wouldn't allow me to watch so I nervously waited expecting it to take a few hours as they took the dash apart. To my surprise 40 minutes later it was finished and ready to go. I was told afterward that the tech only had to go under the dash to remove 4 bolts and then swapped out the airbag. There were two other GTs getting service and although it's not near as nice as the new Chapman Ford in Scottsdale, they always put the GT as a priority at AutoNation.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
So the lower dash does not need to be removed. It would be nice to know the process if someone on the board has done this. Our local dealer allowed me to remove the drivers side and bring it to them and they replaced the inflator. It would be nice to be able to do the same for the passenger side too.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
40 minute R&R? That's definitely good news. I'm going to see what the parts status is at my local dealer, the mechanic seems very competent. Good to know it should not require lower dash removal. Thanks FGT.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
So the lower dash does not need to be removed. It would be nice to know the process if someone on the board has done this. Our local dealer allowed me to remove the drivers side and bring it to them and they replaced the inflator. It would be nice to be able to do the same for the passenger side too.

I had the interim done awhile ago....it does take 40m. Passenger side lower dash comes off. This is an easy job

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
I don't see any way of getting to the bolts without removing the lower dash pad.

Attachments

• 20180224_091456.jpg
    20180224_091456.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 300

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Unfortunately I cannot confirm what they did since they wouldn’t allow me to watch. This is what my service guy told me after it was finished. He explained his tech is so small that he could get clearance. After seeing John’s post above I’m assuming the lower dash has to be taken off. Either way he left no damage and it was pain free and quick compared to what I was expecting.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Unfortunately I cannot confirm what they did since they wouldn’t allow me to watch. This is what my service guy told me after it was finished. He explained his tech is so small that he could get clearance. After seeing John’s post above I’m assuming the lower dash has to be taken off. Either way he left no damage and it was pain free and quick compared to what I was expecting.

Excellent Nate. I told them to practice on your GT before they do mine on Tuesday!

Chip

DanaMcGarrh

Feb 18, 2018
Thank you everyone for your comments, the service manager at my local dealership was nervous about doing it, because the car is rare in my neck of the woods. He did a great job and it was done in a flash.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The service manual will tell you to remove the lower portion. I sent my Mustang dash cover to Shelby for a signature. The Mustang instructions also called for the lower panel to be removed. I did but when I got it off I found that if you knew where to put your hands (blind) that you could reach the bolts with a socket and u-joint so when it came back I reassembled without removing the lower panel. So yes, you MIGHT be able to do the GT without removing it if you're experienced and know where to reach. I suspect most techs will follow the instructions.

Still not available here in Vegas at Gaudin, I suspect they are filling the pipeline from east to west. Like Chip, I'll give them time to have done a few before taking mine in. In fact, I'll wait until Ackerman has had his done and then get the same guy :)

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Excellent Nate. I told them to practice on your GT before they do mine on Tuesday!

Chip

Chip,

Let us know if in fact it is done without the lower dash removal.

AJK